Saturn rear disc brake conversion How-To - Page 2 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Saturn rear disc brake conversion How-To
Saturday, September 17, 2011 10:51 PM
Scorpio1 bishes... wrote:I'm not upset about the ebrake issue at all, its far better to do a tiny bit of work/ and swap the e-brake cable for a 95-02 unit to have the caliper e-brake system rather than the pain in the arse to get wokring neon style drum e-brake system, IMO.

take your time slowzee, fam first bro.

so how hard is it to swap the lines?

2010 Lonestar Bash 2nd place J-Body Street Class

Sunday, September 18, 2011 7:55 AM
As simple as unhooking the old one. Yanking it out. And reversing the procedure to install the new one in theory. Never actually done it yet myself.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 8:25 AM
post in the gp thread but realized it should probably be in here
Stephen (manta z) wrote:Can someone verify that the saturn calipers use a 10mm banjo fitting, and that our rear axle brake line fitting is Female - M10 x 1.0 ? Reason being i have all sorts of fittings and can get custom ss lines made at work. Do it for most the harleys we work on so I could potentially build a complete rear line for the swap to go from axle to caliper. 13" is the correct length as well?

Sunday, September 18, 2011 9:47 AM
Stephen (manta z) wrote:post in the gp thread but realized it should probably be in here
Stephen (manta z) wrote:Can someone verify that the saturn calipers use a 10mm banjo fitting, and that our rear axle brake line fitting is Female - M10 x 1.0 ? Reason being i have all sorts of fittings and can get custom ss lines made at work. Do it for most the harleys we work on so I could potentially build a complete rear line for the swap to go from axle to caliper. 13" is the correct length as well?

Banjo bolt is M10-1.5; Length; 22.8mm; Hex: 11mm
Not sure on what the fitting size is to go into the axle side, its the same as the wheel cylander/saturn hose female side though..
and I don't think 13 inches is correct, I think that was what durandall said, but that was for his calipers being mounted on the front side of the axle, not the back. I would measure for yourself and get the correct length for you.
Sunday, September 18, 2011 9:57 AM
Alright, I will see if I got the fittings already at the shop tomorrow. If not I'll order a couple. Wish i had another car to drive and i'd put mine down to get these installed so i could get brake line length.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:47 PM
Could you just pop a wheel off and get a quick measurment before you actually do the swap? if you look at the pics you can get the general idea of where you need things to be, plus some slack for movement.
Sunday, September 18, 2011 2:40 PM
Well i still have my 03 sitting in storage. So i may grab that and see about mocking up the bracket and calipers on that and trying to get the measurement from there. For as much moving as that thing does i could probably cap off the rear brakes temporary to do this lol

Monday, September 19, 2011 4:36 PM
i might have just figured out how to keep the 03-05 lines, will keep yall posted, gonna try out what i found and make sure its gonna work first.

Monday, September 19, 2011 4:42 PM
excited.. maybe this will relight the fire for the cav. lol

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:43 AM
Trey- Let us know fo sho, not wanting to rip out my perfectly fine e brake cable and go to the 95-02 one....

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:04 AM
Trey did it for the 03-05 e-brake cable. Here is his Writeup. Sorry Trey if you didn't want me to link to it.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:50 AM
Freelancer1988 wrote:Trey did it for the 03-05 e-brake cable. Here is his Writeup. Sorry Trey if you didn't want me to link to it.

I don't think its that big of a secret, its in the same forum as this one lol.. and isn't that mike's thread? not trey
Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:40 PM
Jordan wrote:
Freelancer1988 wrote:Trey did it for the 03-05 e-brake cable. Here is his Writeup. Sorry Trey if you didn't want me to link to it.

I don't think its that big of a secret, its in the same forum as this one lol.. and isn't that mike's thread? not trey

yeah thats mikes write up on the 03-05, his is a pretty dam good idea, my idea/ideas are gonna involve trying to be easier to pull off cuz i know a few ppl here im sure dont have access to the tools to what others are doing like mike or swapping the brake cables.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:39 PM
Crap. I knew I screwed up something today. lol. My bad guys.

Saturday, September 24, 2011 4:21 PM
Some rotors that might work, and be easier to fit. try audi a6 quattro rear rotors (95-98). i just did some rear brakes on a buddies audi, dont remember all the specs
but the dia. was 9.65" and they are 5x112. 5x112 is much easier to modify to fit than 4x100. plus there are many after market companies who make drilled and slotted rotors
for audis.

Saturday, September 24, 2011 5:36 PM
nasty04cav wrote:Some rotors that might work, and be easier to fit. try audi a6 quattro rear rotors (95-98). i just did some rear brakes on a buddies audi, dont remember all the specs
but the dia. was 9.65" and they are 5x112. 5x112 is much easier to modify to fit than 4x100. plus there are many after market companies who make drilled and slotted rotors
for audis.

And there are also many aftermarkets for the saturns... I don't see how drilling 5 new holes with no starting point is any easier than drilling 4 more with one hole already there in the correct position. With an audi rotor you would need 5 new holes in a different diameter circle, no starting point, and possibly the wrong size center hole for the hub.
Saturday, September 24, 2011 10:28 PM
nasty04cav wrote:Some rotors that might work, and be easier to fit. try audi a6 quattro rear rotors (95-98). i just did some rear brakes on a buddies audi, dont remember all the specs
for audis.

Not even close.

Saturn height 1.63 Audi height 2.5

-I drive my car to work-
Monday, September 03, 2012 12:27 PM
My peddle is really sloppy not very stiff after this swap.. Is there any fixing it?
Monday, September 03, 2012 12:39 PM
Bleed your brakes better. Do the fronts too.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Monday, September 03, 2012 12:52 PM
What he said... bleed them really good, and consider doing all stainless lines, on the rears anyway, considering your lines are going from hard to rubber to hard to rubber, assuming you just added the saturn rubber to the jbody hard line.
Tuesday, September 04, 2012 8:25 PM
quick question how much dose this swap make your wheels stick out as being bagged and driving tucked i dont wanna have to flare out my 1/4 panals to make these work and am i still able to get these brackets ?

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 7:21 AM
jacob mahon wrote:My peddle is really sloppy not very stiff after this swap.. Is there any fixing it?

I too had initial spongy brakes. It was as if i had the drums with the parking brake not adjusted.
I did 3 bleeds and no air would come out and still not a confidence inspiring pedal.
So what i did last, pull loosen the pins and pull on the caliper until it can't go anymore, tighten the pins. Now the pad with the piston has no slack/spacing like it did before. Now on the initial bite, it is firm as hell. But the only thing i've notice, the more i brake, it doesn't brake anymore either. It still brakes good, but in my case it braked better with the drums on the back.

cavy_98 wrote:quick question how much dose this swap make your wheels stick out as being bagged and driving tucked i dont wanna have to flare out my 1/4 panals to make these work and am i still able to get these brackets ?

Coupe:
front: 57.6 / 1463
rear: 56.4 / 1432
Sedan:
front: 57.6 / 1463
rear: 56.7 / 1440

Plates
3/8'' or 0.375''- 9.525mm
1/2'' or 0.5'' -12.7mm

Coupe's rear track with plates.
3/8'': 57.16'' / 1451.8 mm
1/2'': 57.37'' / 1457.1 mm
Sedan's rear track with plates.
3/8'': 57.44'' / 1458.9 mm
1/2'': 57.65'' / 1464.3mm

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:32 AM
how do you get the braketts for the disk rear swap??????????jcarias9494@gmail.com
Jordan wrote:This how-to will cover most all of the steps that need to be taken to swap out the rear drums for saturn rear disc brakes using Jeffie's sp?acer/caliper bracket.

I am writing this to the best of my abilities, as I am doing this swap on a 99 Z24, and I am 100% sure the swap will differ in certain areas of different cars in different genrations/body styles and etc..

Required items........

1 pair of Jeffie's hub spacer/caliper brackets. Still a few left in the GP as of now, and as for the future anyone will need to contact him if they are interested in a set.
1 set of saturn rear disc brake calipers & caliper brackets from a 93-02 S series car. Coupe, Sedan, or Wagon will all work, mine for example are from a 96 Sedan
1 pair saturn hydraulic hoses, I reccomend that you get new hoses, mine were less than $8 each, and its good insurance
1 pair saturn rotors. As of now these are only available in a 4x100 bolt pattern and must be redrilled to 5x100, some have looked into custom rotors but nothing yet, future maybe
1 set rear brake pads to fit above saturn calipers
Assorted mounting hardware that may not be included with the calipers you recieve, such as banjo bolts, caliper bracket bolts, guide pins, bracket tins etc.. Also anything you may break in the process of swapping your brakes.

Tools required will be assorted end wrenches and sockets (metric), Torx socket to remove old hub bolts, Allen sockets to install new bolts, ratchets, screwdrivers, vice grips, pliers, pry bars, hammers, whatever it takes to get the job done, only basic hand tools should be needed, no real speciality tools so the backyard and garage mechanics will do just fine here.

Obviously the first step is to get the car in the air and get the wheels off. It is always a good idea to use jack stands to hold the car, don't count on your floor jack holding the weight for you the entire time.

Remove your wheels to reveal those (most likely) rusty worn out drum brakes

Remove the drums, this may take some beating with a hammer, pry bars, and possibly profanity if they haven't been off in a while.

Here you will find the shoes and old Ebrake assembly, this can all be removed however you want, usually you would want to pay attention to where everything goes but for this how-to just rip it all out and throw it in the scrap as far as i'm concerned. I think the easiest way is to remove the springs from the pin on the top middle, pop out the retainer pins/springs and let the brake shoes and hardware fall down and out away from the backing plate and hub.

After this is done you can remove the four bolts holding the hub and the backing plate to the axle/crossmember whatever you might call it. My Haynes manual said it was a T55 but mine were T45 and a 15mm nut on back, I ended up breaking one T45 bit, rounding out one bolt, and then started twisting my other bit, this led to the use of a cutting torch, not reccomended but I was burning daylight and needed the bolts off. This is also the time to remove the Ebrake cable from the backing plate, un plug your ABS sensor connector, and remove the brake line from the back of the wheel cylinder and hide them out of the way for now.

By this point you should have the hub and backing plate off, and your car would look something like this:

At this point your about half way done, from here you can get out your Club Jeffie brackets and prepare to install them, If you would like to take the time you can clean up your suspension while everything is out of the way.

Your brackets will basically be installed in place of where the backing plate was for the drums, between your axle and wheel hub, I installed mine with the caliper to the rear, the same way they were removed from the saturn. From the GP Jeff included 8 new bolts to replace the old ones that aren't long enough, and are probably too beat up to use. These require an allen head to install, and need to be torqued to 44 ft/lbs (according to Haynes) Also not sure on the size I just grabbed the one that fit from my tool box, size was worn off.

Once your hub and spacer/bracket assembly is back on with the ABS re connected (don't forget!) you are ready to put your new rotor of choice on. I picked a cheapo from RockAuto to start with, going to upgrade in the future. Remember these need to be re drilled to 5x100, this means 4 new holes, using one of the existing holes as a guide. They can be drilled using a drill press, or even a corded/cordless hand drill using the correct size bit, I used 1/2". A good way to drill these is to use your old brake drum or an old 5x100 rotor from the front maybe, line up one stud hole between the two and the center hole. As stated in the original feeler thread, these rotors are hub centric just like the drums were, your holes can be a little big and a bit sloppy, as long as it fits over the center of the hub it will be centered where it needs to be.

After your rotor is installed you can move on to your caliper bracket, this bolts on just like the saturn if you pulled it, or like this if you didn't have the chance to see it on a car already

Here is the back side of the rotor showing where the caliper bracket mounts to the spacer bracket. This can be bolted on solid as soon as your rotor is on, here I have also installed the hydraulic hose that will connect the factory Jbody brake line to the saturn caliper.

After this you can install your new brake pads, followed by the caliper. The caliper attaches to the caliper bracket using two guide pins, these bolt solid to the caliper, while allowing the caliper to move freely and adjust itself for wear on the pads. Also connect the hydraulic hose to the caliper using a banjo bolt and two crush washers. Once both sides are done you and a friend, or whoever you can get to pump the brake petal, can bleed the brakes. starting at the right rear and then left rear. You shouldn't need to bleed the fronts unless you have worked on both the front and the back. Be sure to top off your brake fluid before going on a test drive.

The only thing that I had major trouble with is the emergency brake cable, it was advertised as a direct hook-up but I am finding it difficult and I'm sure others will too. I have came to the conclusion that the springs on the ends of the cables aren't needed, considering the saturns didn't have them and the caliper has a spring on its mechanism.

I don't have completed pictures yet, camera died, and its late. Will follow up tomorrow. This is the first real write up/ How-To I have ever tried so I hope its up to, or at least close to par and I hope it helps some people out. Everybody feel free to post up questions, and answers if you've got them, and pics of your swaps!

Thursday, September 27, 2012 10:53 AM

You can buy mine

Have a nice day.
Thursday, September 27, 2012 10:57 AM
Mine too, iv got everything, calipers, lines, rotors, ad two new bleeder valves. $200
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search