95-99 strut mount replacement parts - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
95-99 strut mount replacement parts
Friday, September 09, 2011 6:40 AM
Since its apparently my front strut mounts making all the noise in the front im assuming its the bearings that are shot. I read on here that I can replace just the bearings on the 95-99 mounts but have no clue how to go about it, or if they are available from the parts store.

Is there any more info on this?

or for the s2k mounts and replace the entire unit?

Re: 95-99 strut mount replacement parts
Friday, September 09, 2011 9:26 AM
After spending a fair amount of time at the parts desk it seems I can order some replacement bearings for the 95-99 strut mounts.

That being said is there a way to change the mount bearings without undoing the bottom bolts and not causing me to have to re-align.

I know on wild weasels site he says you can replace the bearings on the ground control top hats but doesn't say anything about the strut mounts.

Money is pretty tight right now so if I can avoid a re-align till the spring ill be happy.

If there is any how to's with pictures that would be great as I have not been able to find any.

Thanks..Phil
Friday, September 09, 2011 2:28 PM
Dig deep and find the $ for an alignment, anytime you take apart the suspension you are giong to want verify the specs. I realize times are tough but you are just solving one problem to create another at that point.
Friday, September 09, 2011 5:08 PM
But if the lower and upper parts of the suspension are not altered then there should be no need for a alignment. If I have to do it I will but if there is anything I can do to avoid it I will to save me the $100
Friday, September 09, 2011 5:21 PM
The knuckle bolts are slotted to allow alignment, once you remove them that alignment goes out the window.

You can still drive while you're saving for the alignment, but you'll be putting undue wear on your tires.

Monday, September 12, 2011 2:33 PM
With a good spring compressor, you may be able to get the springs short enough to be able to remove the upper strut mount without removing the strut from the knuckle.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Monday, September 12, 2011 4:05 PM
I may try it. With my intrax springs they may be short enough they they will be short enough without a compressor. If I cant do it that way ill just suck it up and get the alignment.
Tuesday, September 13, 2011 6:30 PM
factory struts are NOT slotted only aftermarkets are if you have no slots on the knuckle holes there stock GM struts

remove 1 bolt at a time check for OVAL or slotted holes if there round then pullem and put it back in keep on truckin

JBO since July 30, 2001
Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:57 PM
Another ooptionwould be to mark and scribe the bolts and struts. Just make sure to get everything lined back up when reinstalling.

It maynot be perfect but will be a lot closer.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:57 PM
Yah..I dunno what im going to do just yet. Haven't got the time lately to look into it. Ill probably just take the strut assembly out and fix it, then get it aligned....Unless I can see an easy way to do it in the car without hurting the alignment
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search