2003+ drum brake install help - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2003+ drum brake install help
Friday, September 16, 2011 7:39 AM
Hey everyone, Im looking for some help installing my new drum brakes. It is the newer 03+ style drum brake with minimal hardware. I've searched over the board but I'm not quite clear on how to do it. I'm supposed to hammer the crap out of it while pulling out and they'll come out.

My question is there, do I have to remove a certain spring first or is there an order to remove things before I start whaling on the shoes? From the sounds of the old posts, they just hammer out.

Some help is greatly appreciated, I can see myself getting becoming a fluster f*&K and this taking a long time if I just tackle it blind.

Thanks dudes

2003 Cavalier 2dr. 5spd

Re: 2003+ drum brake install help
Friday, September 16, 2011 3:08 PM
there are tools to help removal and installation of the springs i would recommend them but i have made due with a pair of pliers(not really recommended)
Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:26 PM
Yea dude wouldn't go banging on them, they springs holding them in place by the star wheel need to come off along with the the spring holding it down, The one holding it down u can use a flat head screwdriver and for the springs by the star wheel u can use pliers. I cant remember the names of the tools specifically for removal but one looks like pliers with a hooked end and the other tool looks like a nut drive with a large circular end to it. Sorry if that sounds kinda vague. I never use these tools, screw driver and pliers work well. Just watch your fingers when you compress the spring with the screw driver sometimes it slips. Also you might wanna get one of those hanes repair manuals, not the most accurate but gives you a general idea of what your doing. Any way good luck
Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:31 PM
Hammer bad. Get a haynes for the correct install order. They will come apart very easy so if you are hammering the shoes then you missed something. Now if you are talking about hammering the drum off, then yes you will have to beat the crap out of it. Just make sure that you take the two lug clips off first.

-I drive my car to work-
Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:41 PM
ya, I have the nut driver tool and the special spring tool. I was just confused when I read the older posts about changing the 2003+ plus drums becuase a few people said they used sledges/hammers on them. I've done drums 3 times before, the drums with about 6 springs in them. I think the install will be close to the same, the 03's have the big ass horse shoe spring and one more little spring, I just got the brake parts in tonight, I will let you guys know how they go after this weekend or whenever I get around to them.

Thanks for the suggestions

2003 Cavalier 2dr. 5spd

Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:15 PM
drums are simple. shouldn't take long at all. just do one side at a time. but have both drums off. so you can use one as a visual example.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search