aluminum caliper swap for stock J spindle?? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
aluminum caliper swap for stock J spindle??
Wednesday, October 05, 2011 12:12 AM
Im looking to see if there is any (factory aluminum calipers close to the same size as stock) that will bolt right onto or slightly modify to a factory j body steel spindle. Just trying to lose a little weight. Dont want to do a N body spindle conversion, just trying to find a lighter caliper that will appear stock (circle track car).

Re: aluminum caliper swap for stock J spindle??
Thursday, October 06, 2011 6:45 AM
Nothing that I'm aware of, but have you considered the N-body aluminum control arms?

Thursday, October 06, 2011 10:50 AM
lol screw the rules, if those officials cant see the n-body stuff as a stock component to hell with them.

im afraid without going custom on bracketry you wont be finding an aluminum caliper that will work. the j-body setup is pretty unique unfortunately...

Thursday, October 06, 2011 8:06 PM
thought about the control arms. Just worried about them holding up when theres people trying to win the race in the first turn on the first lap. I dont mind modifying the j body spindle, but i just havent found anything that will for a small aluminum caliper. On the n body spindle, i went through the entire timken catalog and cant find a 5x100 bolt pattern 33 spline hub that will bolt onto the n body spindle. Plus the the center on the hub that the wheel fits on to is way bigger, and we have to run factory steel wheels. Would love to find a solution for a 5x100 bolt pattern 33 spline hub that will go on a n body spindle.
Thursday, October 06, 2011 8:19 PM
i could just redrill the hub to a 100 bolt pattern, but the part of the hub that the wheel slips over needs to be 2.24, and on the n body hub its 2.76. you would have to shave a 1/2 off the diameter and by that point theres no lip left. wish this was an easy fix. The n body has a 30 spline, but the timken 513160 has all the n body specs, but in 33 spline. You could redill the bolt pattern, but still screwed on the hub lip being to big of a diameter.
Thursday, October 06, 2011 8:33 PM
Just run the n body hub n bearing. You can get 15 in steelies drom discount tire with dual patterns in them. I got a pair sitting in my garage. Just a thought

Thursday, October 06, 2011 8:42 PM
well, you can use n-body steelies if needed... however, we are working on a j-body wheel bearing to n-body knuckle adapter. shouldnt be too long before they are available.

Thursday, October 06, 2011 10:06 PM
rules state we have to use stock wheels, plus 90% of the field is j-body's so all the other guys would know somethings up. Have to run 14" wheels as well due to having to run a 14" hoosier 790 tire.
Thursday, October 06, 2011 10:08 PM
sounds good z yaaaa, please let me know when this is available
Friday, October 07, 2011 5:59 PM
you have to run stock wheels? what if the car came with 16" stock? i get that u have to run 14" tires but that rule seems contradictory to me....

and you got it man... we do have a thread in suspension and brake going on about the n-body knuckle swap, check it out.

Saturday, October 08, 2011 8:33 AM
You'll never find an aluminum caliper that will fit behind stock wheels. GM like to give zero brake caliper clearance with its wheels, and all the calipers you will find will be thicker.

On the n-body thing. Has anyone ever considered trying to my a hybrid hub? Like take the hub apart and put the j-body outer section on the n-body inner section then re-pack?

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer

Saturday, October 08, 2011 9:02 AM
Checked the n body spindle swap thread. Looks promising! Yea its got to be a stock 14" steel wheel. No aluminum wheels either. I have thought about taking the flange of j body and putting it in the j body bearing hub. Might have to machine something from scratch though in case diameters are different and the hub needs to stick out the right amount so the rotor and caliper line up.

Here's an important question at least for me anywayz, once all this is done will the j bldg 14"steel wheel fit over all this when its said and done. I need to knock the studs out of a n body hub and stick a wheel on it. It wont sit completely flush due to the center of the wheel not going over the center of the hub but ill account for the stick out to see if it will fit
Saturday, October 08, 2011 9:07 AM
Im on my phone. Im sure y'all can figure out what I was trying to say. Lol
Saturday, October 08, 2011 11:40 AM
leafy- i tore an nbody bearing all the way down and it was a nightmare, its all pressed together. by the time i had it all apart i had it all destroyed and i honestly dont see how you could even make a hybrid.

its much easier to just make an adapter to use the j-body bearing.

ovaltracker - man im just not sure if it will fit a 14" wheel. i know the n-body uses a 15" steelie but like leafy said its got to be close.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search