lowering and possible damages? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
lowering and possible damages?
Monday, October 31, 2011 12:04 PM
i have been told by many people that if i lower my 2004 cavalier i could destroy tons of stuff and cause it to drop my transmission. is this true?

Re: lowering and possible damages?
Monday, October 31, 2011 12:06 PM
The trans could fall out. I would lift it to avoid this.

Monday, October 31, 2011 12:14 PM
Mike wrote:The trans could fall out. I would lift it to avoid this.

x2 i see what you did there

2010 Lonestar Bash 2nd place J-Body Street Class
2011 texas heatwave 2nd place american compact street class
Monday, October 31, 2011 12:36 PM
haha you guys are mean. Make sure you get struts for lowering as well as springs.
Monday, October 31, 2011 12:39 PM
I dropped a tranny once. Thought it was love you long time, more like I tuck my schlong. Hit it with my car door and I was out!

Monday, October 31, 2011 1:13 PM
lol....

OK. If you lower it, get shocks AND springs for your car. Don't do one and not the other. The springs will lower the car, but the stock OE shocks will not be able to handle the ride change.

also replace your front and rear strut tower top hats. while you're at it.
Monday, October 31, 2011 1:20 PM
Dyllon Slatcher wrote:i have been told by many people that if i lower my 2004 cavalier i could destroy tons of stuff and cause it to drop my transmission. is this true?

lmao

who told you that?

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Monday, October 31, 2011 1:35 PM
and make sure that the struts you get can handle the drop

Modding my j since I found the org
Monday, October 31, 2011 1:46 PM
Trust me. I am the smartest person here. These guys are trying to get you to destroy your car. Lift it and you will be good.

Monday, October 31, 2011 1:55 PM
I would just lay sandbags in the engine bay and trunk, they ar mad cheap at 2 for 5. your car would be lowered for like 30 bucks! Then when the shocks blow you could take out the bags and drive it for a while!

Monday, October 31, 2011 2:40 PM
Mike wrote:Trust me. I am the smartest person here. These guys are trying to get you to destroy your car. Lift it and you will be good.

this guy speaks the truth. Lifting is better, if your trans does fall out, you will be able to just drive over it and toss it in the trunk. If you were lowered and your trans fell out, I would suspect more damage.

1999 - Cavalier - 5speed - Exhaust - 17" rims - carbon fiber hood - the beater

Monday, October 31, 2011 4:00 PM
You will be fine lowering the car. Just do like said and get struts to handle what ever drop you get. If you go too low, you put your axles and a bad angle and puts a lot more stress on them. Also if you go too low, the tire can obviously rub on the fender. If you are stock wheels you shouldnt rub on the inner fender though. Just dont cheap out and get $125 coilovers brand new off ebay. A good suspension is going to cost you if its done right.

Monday, October 31, 2011 6:07 PM
No worries, I dropped my 04 cavy about 2the inches and no problems. Blistn's with pro springs.
Monday, October 31, 2011 6:43 PM
I'm lowered 2.25"...pretty sure my trans has not fallen out...

Monday, October 31, 2011 7:11 PM
i went out side and my trans has no way of falling out. in fact there is no room for it to fall down too lol. bunch of bologna

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 11:03 AM
Wow. I don't know what's worst, the original question, the answers given as a joke, or the answers given as "fact", but are really misinformation......

This is why I still visit the ORG.

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 11:19 AM
Pretty sure whoever you talked to was telling you that lowering would cause problems, which it can. I don't think "dropping the trans" will be an issue. Of course this is referring to your trans going bad for some reason or another, it wouldn't come from lowering. Listen to these guys that have lowered already, read up some threads, and do it the right way.
Tuesday, November 01, 2011 11:39 AM
As long as you buy the right struts and springs the worst that will happen is screwing up some CV joints.

Its the S10 world that has tranny issues with lowering....slam the 80's version and the driveshaft will put enough pressure on the output shaft of the transmission to do damage. This is not an issue in our case.

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 4:30 AM
Zs Z wrote:Its the S10 world that has tranny issues with lowering....slam the 80's version and the driveshaft will put enough pressure on the output shaft of the transmission to do damage. This is not an issue in our case.
Correct. We have better driveshafts than the S10 guys do.

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 6:37 AM
If you manage to actually drop the trans on this car. Hot damn you put a top of power through the clutch and put it dot he ground in order to shear off the bell housing.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Wednesday, November 02, 2011 12:57 PM
do you guys know any reliable sites that have struts and shocks that i could get all at once

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 3:25 PM
Let me help you with your quest

-I drive my car to work-
Wednesday, November 02, 2011 6:19 PM
are you looking at shocks and struts or coilovers. ive seen the tein blues with their springs on ebay for around five hundred or you can get the kyb agx for around four seventy plus another two thirty for some eibach prokit, if you want lower you will be looking at around a thousand for some d specs and eibach sportline, now if you are looking for a coilover set up you can get the tein coilovers for around a thousand or twelve hundred

Modding my j since I found the org
Monday, November 07, 2011 12:08 PM
Trey Reed wrote:

where can I see more pics of your car!!

Monday, November 07, 2011 4:12 PM
Kooter Kicker wrote:
Trey Reed wrote:

where can I see more pics of your car!!

Who's car?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search