Store brand rotors vs powerslot, worth the price differances? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Store brand rotors vs powerslot, worth the price differances?
Friday, November 04, 2011 12:36 PM
Im going to be needing to do front brakes soon, and to start, I am from canada so shipping adds up the cost buying online.
I found Hawk HPS pads locally for $56, I think i am pretty set on them.
but for Rotors, power slots are $80/each locally or order online but with shipping im almost at $150-$200 anyways...
The auto parts place we get a discount at through work, there house brand (Promax) Rotors are $26 a piece my cost.
So big question I guess is $50 for house brand rotors or $160 for powerslots?
I drive mostly in the city and am a little of a spirited driver but don't race or autocross or anything.

The brakes on the car now are still fairly good, since the tires start locking up (chirping) and ABS kicking in before anything so I think house brand pads and rotors would be fine but Hawk pads are a small price differance so might aswell get them. I do plan on getting a little stickier tire once these uniroyal tiger paws are worn down too so that will help traction problems (tires locking up).

Or would are the powerslots "worth" the extra $110?

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Re: Store brand rotors vs powerslot, worth the price differances?
Friday, November 04, 2011 2:31 PM
id prolly compare them with the stores premium line of rotors (wagner, etc.) for a better comparison. Something with max specified thickness and vane configuration.
Friday, November 04, 2011 3:06 PM
I just called them back, the rotors are actually wagner, the pads they quoted me are promax or something but I am getting the hawk pads elsewhere. There pads are like $35 or something and Hawks are $56 so im just going to go with Hawks.
But are wagner rotors the way to go for only $52 for both?

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**

Friday, November 04, 2011 4:36 PM
you wont be disappointed with wagner products, unless you want the slotted.
Friday, November 04, 2011 7:32 PM
so it would be safe to say the wagner rotors would work just as good as the power slot rotors? minus the powerslot would stay cooler after lots of heavy braking?

Friday, November 04, 2011 8:56 PM
I am just wondering you stated brakes locking up,are you talking about the rear brakes locking up,very common on these cars to do that when they are wet..Which could mean you need to change the rear brake shoes..

as far as the front pad rotor combo goes,Are you running bigger rims,if so i would switch to the hawk pads,and power slot rotors..

I have had the same power slot rotors for 3 years now and put 2 sets of pads on them,And I am running 18 inch wheels,and have some fun with the car,And there has been no signs of any issues with them..

If you are going to just run a factory OEM replacement,go with a wagner,not the off shore stuff,And with the pads still go with the hawk pads as they also do not make a bunch of brake dust,and will give you better braking regardless..
Friday, November 04, 2011 10:31 PM
The front brakes try locking up under heavy braking, there was once or twice on a freeway going 80km/h and then all of a sudden everyone is slamming on the brakes. It does not completely lock up, its just a chirp....chirp....chirp as the ABS kicks in. That is why I said the non performance brakes are already doing a good job, so if I had a grippier tire, they would be harder to lock up and improve braking.
I am for sure set on Hawk Pads, they are only $20 more then the cheap pads and the parts store "premium" pads are actually more ($77).
I did have GMPP Brakes (performance pads and cross drilled/slotted rotors) on my cobalt and they made a huge differance in braking but not sure if it was mostly pads or bit of both? I was also more of a "aggressive" driver when I had the cobalt too.
Just was more less wondering if the powerslots make a huge difference under normal driving with the odd "heavy" braking here and there.
I have the 00-02 Z24 16s and 14s steelies for winter...

Saturday, November 05, 2011 7:36 AM
i've always been a fan of ebc black dash rotor and yellow pad combo.....just my .02

Saturday, November 05, 2011 8:03 AM
you havnt told us what your goal is .
In other words. are these brakes going on a daily driver? a weekend car? do you race this car often like at the track where it does several high speed stops? or is it just a drive around town car?
if you dont race this car at all i would simply say save your cash and get store brand, they will work fine, just like stock.
If you use this car for performance reasons at all i Highly recommend the power slots and hawk pads. its the same setup ive had on my cav since 05 and im still using the same rotors, only turned rotors once, and that was because i was changing pads.

Saturday, November 05, 2011 8:19 AM
Rick wrote: I drive mostly in the city and am a little of a spirited driver but don't race or autocross or anything.

...from first post
I think i am just going to go with Hawk pads and wagner rotors, I was just more less wondering if the powerslots make a big differnace with spirited/daily driving.... and if they are worth the extra $110 for what I need....

Saturday, November 05, 2011 10:57 AM
they are worth the extra money to go with the power slots,Another nice upgrade is to change out the rubber brake lines to braided stainless steel.

Saturday, November 05, 2011 11:46 AM
sorry, i fail at reading i guess.

and if its just a daily driver i suggest the wagner rotors. youll go through 2 whole sets of rotors before you reach the price of the powerslots, and then theres turning the rotor between pad changes. for an around town car the stock rotors do their job. dont get me wrong..i LOVE the powerslot rotors, theyve helped my braking conditions alot, and theyve lasted. But i use and abuse my car, it doesnt sound like thats something you do to yours.
So just my .02 , id save the cash for gas
the hawk pads are a good choice anytime though, good stopping,low dust, never heard mine sqweek once

Sunday, November 06, 2011 3:56 PM
JUCNBST wrote:i've always been a fan of ebc black dash rotor and yellow pad combo.....just my .02

Really recommend high dust track pads for a daily? Come on now.

Op I would stick with a nice flat rotor for maximum rotor surface area, skip that stupid slotted crap. And a higher end ceramic pad Like the bottom end Hawk pad or an EBC green. Or if you were boosted I would suggest the EBC red like I have. The thing I dont like about hawk pads is that they are very grabby and dont take very much input pressure to lock up.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Sunday, November 06, 2011 5:39 PM
Thanks for the input guys.
I think ill go with wagner rotors and Hawk pads.
These Hawk HPS HB390f.602 are the bottom end hawk pads or???
Some people say they machine rotors once when doing pad changes but heard rotors are pretty thin already, whats the min a rotor can be machined down too?

Sunday, November 06, 2011 6:13 PM
Well for us it is. The PC would be more of their daily driver pad. I dont like the HPS on a daily because of the dust. I'd rather go with the ultra low dust EBC green, same performance, same price, less dust.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Sunday, November 06, 2011 7:40 PM
Id go with the Hawk HPS. They are whats on my car now and I have a big brake kit to go on, too bad you are in canada or id ship them to you for little to nothing. VERY low mileage powerslot rotors with hawk hps pads. Low dust, great stopping power, and really good price.

here is the pads I run:
http://www.buybrakes.com/store/HB390-602

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 12:23 AM
I heart my hawk hps and powerslots.... Well well worth the money IMO.

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 4:34 AM
I use Hawk and Baer, good setup IMO.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search