How to adjust caster? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How to adjust caster?
Saturday, November 05, 2011 4:45 PM
After replacing the strut assemblies on our '03 Cavalier with Monroe QuickStruts a some time ago, I did a quick camber adjustment with an angle finder on the hub and called it good. Today I finally put my nice new(ish) FasTrax camber/cater gauge on the car and am in the (annoying and laborious) process of setting the camber to zero. After that I'll check the caster, but if I don't like the results, I don't see any way to adjust it! The only suspension adjustments I see are the slotted bolt hole in the replacement struts, and of course the tie rod sleeves - so I'm left to *assume* that the caster isn't meant to be adjustable from the factory?

_________________________________________________________________________________
2003 Cavalier, base with auto/tilt/CD/AC (wife's) -- 2012 Mazda5 Touring with audio package (mine)

Re: How to adjust caster?
Saturday, November 05, 2011 6:26 PM
to adjust caster you either move the tops of the struts forwards or backwards or move the sub frame forwards or backwards (which moves the lower control arms forwards or backwards). Hardly no one ever adjusts it though.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Monday, November 07, 2011 9:27 AM
There isn't too much caster adjust-ability in the J platform, and what there is for adjustment isn't even recommended by the factory. Leafy nailed it.

My question is- why would you adjust camber, then caster? You should adjust caster first, since the camber changes when you change caster.

Monday, November 07, 2011 10:46 AM
There's only 2 reasons I can see to adjust caster. The car was wrecked and now the caster is all over the place. Or if you are a serious racer who competes at least that the regional level, if not nationally.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search