Help removing hub bolts - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Help removing hub bolts
Saturday, November 12, 2011 7:08 AM
trying to put on my jeffie adapters but cannot get hub/backing plate bolts removed. i got 1 of 8 off, and broke an impact gun adaptor trying to get others off. any help with what other did would be great thanks.

Re: Help removing hub bolts
Saturday, November 12, 2011 7:20 AM
What i did was
Pulled off the wheels and drums
Sprayed all the bolts with PB Blaster, front and on the back and waited about 10min
I took my 1/2" impact with the torx bit and just spun the bolt loose from the axle/backing plate, not trying to break the nut loose
once i got all 4 bolts to spin freely(doing one side at a time obviously) i took my ratchet on the back of the nut and worked on breaking them loose
keeping forward pressure on the impact to make sure not to strip the torx i just kept giving love taps to the trigger to nudge it loose and then it just spun right out.

I really had no problems with mine doing that. but mine were 2003 and 2004 so fairly new compared to most but the 04 was a michigan car that saw their terrible winters so it was pretty nasty

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, November 12, 2011 7:21 AM

Saturday, November 12, 2011 7:26 AM
Stephen (manta z) wrote:What i did was
Pulled off the wheels and drums
Sprayed all the bolts with PB Blaster, front and on the back and waited about 10min
I took my 1/2" impact with the torx bit and just spun the bolt loose from the axle/backing plate, not trying to break the nut loose
once i got all 4 bolts to spin freely(doing one side at a time obviously) i took my ratchet on the back of the nut and worked on breaking them loose
keeping forward pressure on the impact to make sure not to strip the torx i just kept giving love taps to the trigger to nudge it loose and then it just spun right out.

I really had no problems with mine doing that. but mine were 2003 and 2004 so fairly new compared to most but the 04 was a michigan car that saw their terrible winters so it was pretty nasty

Thats where i broke my impact gun adaptor lol but mines only 3/8 i only bought gun 2 days ago specifically for this job. needless to say it will be going back today. think going to 1/2 would be a better idea. also mine is 97 in canada so we can imagine how 15 year old bolts in salt and snow are gonna be.
Saturday, November 12, 2011 8:17 AM
Sunday, November 13, 2011 1:05 AM
Use a torch.

Sunday, November 13, 2011 8:35 AM
i used a wrench and broke the nuts loose..

i used the torx bit just to hold the bolts inplace while i used a wrench to remove the nuts...

Sunday, November 13, 2011 9:23 AM
If its just one. Drill the sucker out. Stick a 3/8 drill bit in the hole for the torx. The once that seems to stop making progress, use a 1/2 inch and just keep on truckin until it comes off. Just make sure you dont over heat the drill bit. I will take nearly a half hour because GM spec'ed some stupid hardness for the bolts. If you have ot buy a drill bit, look for the ones that are black oxide with the raised silver cutting edge, or ones with very aggressive tips. Its a real suck job, but if you cant get it off any other way this will work.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Sunday, November 13, 2011 9:50 AM
I tried turning the torx head, ended up stripped. So I got out my drill since I had new hardware anyway.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search