Brake Drum Question? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Brake Drum Question?
Tuesday, November 15, 2011 7:12 PM
Hey guys, I replaced my rear drums Sunday, and I noticed the driver side brake cylinder was leaking. I noticed it had a bit of a tear in the brake cylinder boot.

Question is, is this boot just to keep dust out of the brake cylinder or does it seal brake fluid within it? With this issue, do I need to replace the whole brake cylinder.

This really pissed me off since I noticed it as I was done, and most likely this will ruin the new brakes I put on the driver said but sh#t happens

2003 Cavalier 2dr. 5spd

Re: Brake Drum Question?
Tuesday, November 15, 2011 7:44 PM

drivemybrosZ24 wrote:Question is, is this boot just to keep dust out of the brake cylinder or does it seal brake fluid within it?

On factory and most replacements it is supposed to be a dust seal, to keep the dirt and moisture off the cylinder pistons and the primary seal that contains the fluid which keeps a seal while the pistons move outward.

drivemybrosZ24 wrote:With this issue, do I need to replace the whole brake cylinder.

If it is leaking then yes.

drivemybrosZ24 wrote: most likely this will ruin the new brakes I put on the driver said but sh#t happens

Your new drums should be fine once cleaned, but yes the pads will need to be cleaned or replaced if they get soaked/are soaking in brake fluid.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search