Safe to drive with no rear brakes? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Safe to drive with no rear brakes?
Sunday, November 20, 2011 2:31 PM
So I started to do my disc brake conversion started just with getting adaptors on but when I got in there my brakes separated when taking them out replaced brake line going I to the drum and my bleeder screw broke off tryin to bleed the brakes so will be getting a new cylinder tomorrow. Question is will it be safe to drive without rear brakes as I'm hoping to have the conversion finished by end of week. Only drive car to work 15 mins each way. So I'm hoping I can get by without having to buy new brakes to only use for a week or two. Has anyone driven without any rear brakes before? I know they are used very little in braking so hopefully can get by thanks.

Re: Safe to drive with no rear brakes?
Sunday, November 20, 2011 2:43 PM
In before the lock lol

Anyways i have a mazda truck thats had no rears since ive had it stops ok but you heat up those fronts good. I i dont recommend it but if you have to make sure you seal off tue line somehow so you dont loose the whole circuit. Tjree breakes are better than two.
Sunday, November 20, 2011 2:51 PM
Agree. I dont see it as a good idea unless its an absolute LAST resort. Hell I drove to Darkstars house 15 miles or so with e-brake only since my line rubbed under the master cylinder and got a hole. As long as like he said, you seal it up completely to stop any fluid from coming out once you hit the pedal. I had no front brakes but went SUPER slow. but that was 1.5 hours from home. no choice.

Sunday, November 20, 2011 2:53 PM
I've driven with no rears before... I wouldn't recommend it, but in an emergency, you could, as most of the braking is done on the fronts. You will take longer to stop, and run the risk of losing control of the car in a situation. as for a day to day operation... you'd be crazy.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 2:13 PM
It's a risk, if you where to get in an accident and they found out you didn't have rear brake, you could be held responsible.
Wednesday, November 23, 2011 2:19 PM
yeah i just bit the bullet and bought new brakes, winter is coming so ill use drums till the summer time comes around. Thanks for input everyone
Wednesday, November 23, 2011 6:41 PM
good choice
Thursday, November 24, 2011 12:54 AM
Chrismac902 wrote:yeah i just bit the bullet and bought new brakes, winter is coming so ill use drums till the summer time comes around. Thanks for input everyone
smartest noob on the forum right here

2010 Lonestar Bash 2nd place J-Body Street Class
2011 texas heatwave 2nd place american compact street class
Thursday, November 24, 2011 9:04 AM
Trey Reed wrote:
Chrismac902 wrote:yeah i just bit the bullet and bought new brakes, winter is coming so ill use drums till the summer time comes around. Thanks for input everyone
smartest noob on the forum right here

that post actually made me lol, im like a dwarf among midgets, can you reach the top shelf Yes I Can
Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:43 PM
Few years ago, my step dad changed his rear diff in his POS lifted F150 and he broke the brake line, it was rusted to @!#$ and he twisted off the end. the parts store didnt have anything in stock so he put a small piece of rubber fuel line over the broken line with a 1/4" bolt on one end for plug, clamped it on the broken line and away he went, he needed his truck and wow, scary, most of the braking is in the front but the rear brakes sure do make a differance(on a lifted truck anyways, may be differant on a car) he only drove it around the acerage moving firewood, but there was alot of up/down hill driving.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Sunday, December 04, 2011 4:43 PM
The main reason for rear brakes on a vehicle is primarily a stabilizing mechanism under braking conditions. Running without them you increase the chances of losing control and then there is the added benefit of greater stopping power as well. They act as a drag on the rear of the vehicle as the weight is transferred to the front of the vehicle during braking. Your choice of just fixing it was without a doubt the smarter of your two choices.

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search