Advice needed for strut type..... - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Advice needed for strut type.....
Friday, December 23, 2011 8:32 AM
At 175,000, the struts on my 2000 Cavi are still okay, I bought the car used at 98,000, should I assume they were replaced by this point? Anyway, the time to replace won't be long. I would like to have a strut that has a more aggressive ' hit ' . No trail on, or bouncing, just a quick up...down, and stop. What I'm working with is stock coils, stock suspension and stock ' type ' tires 195/70/R14. It's a commuter, I don't race it. I believe with this mileage the springs to be good enough to just leave them as is. Or would it be better to just buy the strut/spring assembly already together? I don't really think I need adjustable struts or anything exotic to get a firm ride would I ? Just ones that are a direct replacement and don't require any cutting or fabricating . I have replaced struts in the past, older mid-80's FWD, so I think I can handle this project. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.....

Ipud wrote:We put Jap Traps on cinder blocks around here. We don't wave the American flag for novelty

I proudly own American cars, nothing else....

Re: Advice needed for strut type.....
Friday, December 23, 2011 9:29 AM
I would just put stock replacements on the car , honest opinion.

Friday, December 23, 2011 10:47 AM
I would go with stock replacements as well. Just be careful of the bearing plates if you change them. I lost the balls the first time I took one apart.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Saturday, December 24, 2011 1:14 AM
Agx would be a nice upgrade that gives you some adjustment

see ya!

Saturday, December 24, 2011 9:25 AM
if you want something to firm up the stock springs,Go with a set of Tokico Hp Blues,They will be better than stock struts,And give you a better more firm ride..

Also if you do go with the Hp struts,You could just go with a small 1.5 drop spring which will make a nice diff and not lower it to much..

And what ever you do,Just replace the upper strut mounts on the front,And get a wheel alignment and you will be good to go.
Thursday, December 29, 2011 3:48 AM
Okay, I'm doing some research on Tokico and AGX, anyone used Koni's on their Cavi??

Ipud wrote:We put Jap Traps on cinder blocks around here. We don't wave the American flag for novelty

I proudly own American cars, nothing else....

Friday, December 30, 2011 7:36 AM
yes, koni's are very nice. i loved my yellows.

only problem with them is you have to mod them to work and use pieces from your stock suspension to complete the installation. which for a novice person with some mechanical apptitude isnt too bad of a job its just more things to do versus just buying either the AGX's or the Tokico's and bolting them on right out of the box.

up to you, really. like i said, i loved my koni's and didnt mind the extra work but they really didnt seem to be any better than my d-spec's or any other j-body with a quality suspenion i ever rode in.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Friday, December 30, 2011 10:18 AM
GR2's are another great option for stock replacement. But from the sound of your car what you really need are just stock shock assemblies that come with the spring already on them to just put in. Then driver her out to the alignment shop and get it aligned.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Friday, December 30, 2011 5:14 PM
i have had agx's and d-specs and the agx's were a huge leap from stock struts but with that said the d-specs are waaayyy better better adjustment you can get it dialed in so nice. hell stopping distance is even better with a good dialed in strut. on our cars its money well spent!

see ya!

Monday, January 02, 2012 6:12 PM
I have Koni yellows and Koni sport springs on my 04 fire and absolutely love em had them on for about 6 months now..
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search