Loaded struts for lowering? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Loaded struts for lowering?
Wednesday, January 11, 2012 10:43 AM
Hi everyone, and thanks for taking a look at my thread.
I would really like to lower my 2004 cavalier 1.5 to 2.0 inches. I have read alot of threads here about lowering and what not but did not stuble apon my question. Is there a company making loaded struts for lowering my cavalier?
I would love to just take 2 bolts loose on the bottom, and 3 nuts on the top of my strut off, pull the whole assembly out, and slap a new loaded assembly right back in. Thanks for any help, and sorry if this has already been covered.

Re: Loaded struts for lowering?
Wednesday, January 11, 2012 10:56 AM
Tein SS coil-overs are like that.

Error: Sig not found.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 2:06 PM
Well those sure are nice, quite a bit more than I'd like to spend though. I was kinda wishing someone maybe knew of some monroe quick strut application that would bolt up , yet have a smaller spring. I don't wanna be one of those "Hey whats the cheapest way to lower my car " kinda guys. I do want to do it the right way. Maybe springs and struts seperately are the cheapest route??
Wednesday, January 11, 2012 2:41 PM
If you just want it in and out quick, buy springs, struts and strut mounts and get a shop to mount the springs and struts, then you will have a "quick lowering strut"
Or rent a spring compressor and diy

Taking old struts apart and mounting new struts can be pretty time consuming so I know it would be nice to have a quick lowering strut.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 4:21 PM
bc coilovers are about 1k for jbodies

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 7:33 PM
i think i seen somewhere that tokico had what you are looking for.. not sure of the drop with there springs though. hope this helps
Wednesday, January 11, 2012 8:13 PM
tokico has a kit with HP struts and springs but heard bad reviews on the springs, I was looking into it before, was like $450 or something for everything plus shipping.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 8:22 PM
Tokico Kit
Is this the kit you were thinking about? and either the price went up or I was wrong about it. I thought they were cheaper. You could probably get hp blues, eibach pro kit and new strut mounts for that price.

Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:48 AM
Well thanks for all the help guys. Maybe I will just get springs, struts and mounts. Would I still have to dis-assemble the old struts though, to get the spring seats and insulators, or am I wrong here? Thanks again , you guys are alot of help.
Thursday, January 12, 2012 8:20 AM
To avoid dis assembling the old struts, you would have to buy everything new, if you have to disassemble the old ones, you could reuse the old mounts if they are still good but it may be a good idea to buy new ones while its all apart anyways.

Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:26 AM
If you buy all new parts and dont have to take apart the old ones I thought most lowing springs didnt require a spring compressor anyways.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer

Thursday, January 12, 2012 10:05 AM
Yeah, you know I didn't think about the fact that the springs will be shorter so I may not need to compress those to get the new mounts on. Thanks for the tip.
Thursday, January 12, 2012 12:20 PM
Ive never put lowering springs on a cavalier but I think there was a thread about a spring still being lose on the strut so I think your right.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search