97 cavi springs,.Help! - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
97 cavi springs,.Help!
Monday, January 16, 2012 11:53 AM
I'm looking into some eibach lowering springs for my 97 cavalier. But I was just thinking...why cant I just take all of the old springs off. And take a few coils off until I get the height i'm looking for. Has Anyone tried this before? I'm not too sure about it but I don't see the harm? I've seen it done before but i'm not sure if it weakens the suspension or not. Just let me know what you think about this idea. If its stupid, tell me your opinion ha.

Re: 97 cavi springs,.Help!
Monday, January 16, 2012 1:12 PM

Just get yourself some lowering springs, and struts designed for lowering springs. You will be much happier in the end. Do some searching on here for different set ups and how they look.

"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers"-Colin McRae
Monday, January 16, 2012 2:16 PM
Quite a youngling we got here so this is a tad excusable. If your gonna lower your car do it correctly, That means After market proper lowering springs and matching struts and that is not a cheep thing to do. If you have any sort of concerns about budget the only way your gonna do it right and cheap is wait for a sale or checking the classifieds

I miss my Cavalier, even if it made 100 hp on a cold day and had more suspension then it deserved.
Monday, January 16, 2012 5:10 PM
Cutting springs has been covered on here many many many times before. It ruins the spring and will cause the struts to prematurely fail. It will also give you a horrible horrible ride because our springs are progressive.

Error: Sig not found.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 12:44 PM
Read the Suspension FAQ , if you are just getting into cars it will be very beneficial

link...
Thursday, January 19, 2012 12:53 PM
Yep, has to do with spring rates , will have you bouncing all over not to mention not safe!

Thursday, January 19, 2012 1:10 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:Messed up suspension is fine. Look at that ride height.

Cheap , cut, or torched springs on stock struts = .......

That sums it up...

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, January 23, 2012 12:00 PM
cut your springs, i'll cut your balls.

Deal? :troll:
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search