big brake question - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
big brake question
Tuesday, January 17, 2012 6:13 PM
was just reading through the nwf front end setup and was just wondering if there are any other gm vehicles that run a larger diameter rotor that fits on a 5x100 bolt pattern hub, allowing me to run a larger rotor and caliper yet retain factory bolt pattern?

Re: big brake question
Tuesday, January 17, 2012 6:44 PM
None that we've found yet, from what I've looked into based off specs a celica gt rotor off a 2001 is 5x100 and same measurements as an 11in n body rotor. Just havent figured out the bearing part yet.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:16 PM
ok, where i work we have an account at lordco auto parts and we can get parts delivered that day and then if we dont use them, they are the wrong parts, ect, we can return them free of charge, would it be as simple as taking a celica rotor, removing the rotor and caliper from a jbody, and seeing if it would fit on the j hub? cause if thats all it is i can do this sometime this week and let you know yay or nay? id like to find out as well cause my car will need pads and rotors soon and if i can upgrade at the same time that would be nice
Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:51 PM
What would be pissa. Though the issue is getting a j body hub onto an n-body knuckle.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Wednesday, January 18, 2012 5:13 AM
Leafy wrote:What would be pissa. Though the issue is getting a j body hub onto an n-body knuckle.
I don't know that he's meaning to swap the knuckles. Just finding a rotor that will go right on the J-body. If this rotor doesn't have too tall of a hat, a bracket to adapt the caliper to the J-body knuckle is all that's needed.

I have my original J-body parts sitting on my bench. If people are interested, I could grab a rotor and design the adapter for it.

Also, getting the J-body hub on the N-body spindle isn't a problem. I can get it done using all aluminum and no welding (for those who may have gotten scared off by comments in Brad's thread). If people want it done, I can do a setup and quote pricing for the mods. It's not as big of a deal as people make it out to be.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:35 AM
Yeah an adapter bracket would be pretty easy normally. Its just that having that aluminum knuckle is really nice.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:45 AM
yea, i was thinking along the lines of mr quick, i might try this sometime before the end of the week cause now im curious. if we slow down at work ill whip my car in the shop and buzz one side off and see. next question assuming they fit, f body dual piston calipers???
Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:51 AM
C5 vette dual piston. Same thing pretty much except the vette ones have more cooling fins.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:52 AM
It's all going to depend on the height of the hat on the rotor. I'll look into the measurements of the rotor and compare to the J-body one. If the hat is too tall, the bracket on the J-body spindle may have to be ground too far back for clearance and mounting, leaving an unsafe amount of material left. I'll check this out.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:59 AM
Leafy wrote:C5 vette dual piston. Same thing pretty much except the vette ones have more cooling fins.
Aren't they larger, though? This may be too much caliper for an 11" setup.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:30 AM
I didnt think the normal vette ones were larger. I thought they were the exact same except that the cooling fins on the top were cut deeper. And they say corvette on them.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 10:10 AM
C5 calipers are way too big for an 11in rotor, vettes had a 13, well a 12.8in rotor
Wednesday, January 18, 2012 10:11 AM
I found the post I remember seeing.

Michael Dougherty wrote:I want to let you guys know that its very popular to swap the F-body calipers onto the W-body cars (like my Regal).

Well instead of using F-body calipers you can also use C5 Corvette Calipers which are actually MUCH better then the F-body calipers.

The C5 calipers have longer cooler fins and smaller dual pistons for less squishy brake petal like we get in the W-body cars with F-body calipers.

Pretty much on the W-body cars you use the F-body rotor, F-body Caliper Bracket, F-body caliper bolts, F-body brake pads then use simply the C5 calipers.

I would have to say you J-body guys be able to get away with this as well if you are using an F-body caliper to bolt on it.

C5 Caliper VS F-Body Caliper

C5 Caliper Mounted on my regal with F-body caliper bracket and rotor

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 4:57 PM
Here's a thought guys. I have been theorizing and talking with my machinist on a couple of ideas for this swap. How about taking the center hub flange off of a J bearing, and pressing it into the N bearing using a small spacer to make up the size difference??? According to some basic measurements I have done, it should work. Any thoughts???

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:20 PM
I got an n-body hub assembly apart, but I don't have a j-body hub to rip apart.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:06 PM
Mr. Quick wrote:Also, getting the J-body hub on the N-body spindle isn't a problem. I can get it done using all aluminum and no welding (for those who may have gotten scared off by comments in Brad's thread). If people want it done, I can do a setup and quote pricing for the mods. It's not as big of a deal as people make it out to be.

QFT.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:35 AM
Leafy, that's good info on the C5 calipers. I was thinking that they were larger, and the W-body guys and F-body guys were using them to upgrade to 13" rotors.

As for taking the hubs apart and swaping the inners, how to you propose resealing them so that you get any kind of longevity out of them? Modding the N-body knuckle is the better option by far, and this means you're still able to replace your bearings with off-the-shelf parts.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 9:04 AM
Getting ball element bearings back together is rather difficult, typically just getting them back together is nearly impossible. Now if we could remove the races from the hub parts and then press in new bearings, then we have something doable. Would just need to cross reference the bearing, should be a dual row dual angular contact bearing. If we happen to need a 75mm od, 42mm id, 37mm deep one I have 2 in bubble wrap going in the racecar and know where the can be purchased for 55 bucks each. Even better, I should be able to get the FAG part number off them.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:11 PM
It is not that hard to redrill rotors, I ve got 12" vettes on the front of my 03 with stock 5x100 pattern

Thursday, January 19, 2012 4:20 PM
welding? where did welding on the adapters come into play? no welding needed. only machining.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Thursday, January 19, 2012 4:38 PM
LOL Brad. Not welding these and didn't say yours were. I mentioned that they would not be, for anyone that got scared off by the argument over welding knuckles in your thread. Man, you do have a short memory.

At any rate, I'll try to havone done shortly, and quote it out. I'll also take some weights of things, too.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 4:55 PM
I dont see a huge change in weight. The little bracket and bigger rotor weight should be mostly offset by the aluminum caliper.

Friday, January 20, 2012 6:54 AM
Mr. Quick wrote:Also, getting the J-body hub on the N-body spindle isn't a problem. I can get it done using all aluminum and no welding (for those who may have gotten scared off by comments in Brad's thread).

lol im lost man... no talk of welding i know of in that thread... who got scared off by welding?? no welding needed.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Friday, January 20, 2012 8:42 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:lol im lost man...
Yeah, I know, but I won't hold it against you.

Friday, January 20, 2012 9:59 AM
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search