2001 sunfire / 2004 Ion Redline - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2001 sunfire / 2004 Ion Redline
Sunday, February 05, 2012 2:05 PM
So Ive been a little bored, and doing a little thinking. I have a Daily driver sunfire right now (about the 15th on ive owned) I also have a pile of Ion Redline parts. I was just wondering if anybody has tried to put redline brakes on a sunfire before. I know it sounds like an odd swap but im thinking i could gain rear discs, bigger front brakes, stronger looking lower control arms, aluminum spindles, wheel bearings that arnt wornout and i could use my 17" wheels.

I was kind of thinking on the rear replace from the wheel bearings out, and on the front replace from the spindle and lower control arm out, and screw with the axels if I have too. Has anyone tried this? Ive searched J body for hours and couldnt find anything, so I hope im not just being a noob. If someones beat this idea out already I wont bother ripping both cars down, but If no ones tried it i might fire up the impact gun. And if there is mild fab needed im fine with that, if its a nightmare/ not worth doing i may do the common front 115mm(?) f body, ect, swap and the alero,ect IRS swap that has been so nicely laid out here. Im just looking at a loc cost option as i have the ion redline at my disposal.

Any Ideas?

Re: 2001 sunfire / 2004 Ion Redline
Sunday, February 05, 2012 4:18 PM
I've never seen anyone do this yet. I'd start with the front lowwer control arms and see if they match up as far as subframe mounting goes.

Sunday, February 05, 2012 6:05 PM
Well Ive beat out the lower control arm, One is about an inch longer where it bolts to the subframe. Aswell the spindle is quite different... 1/4 difference in thickness where the strut bolts to it, and the sunfire ball joint is tapered cone, and the saturn is pinch bolt style.. as well the rivets are spaced differently where the ball joint is attached to the contro arm, so a ball joint swap would be a pain. This could be overcome, but probably not worth it. The rear axel looks like i can just swap the bearings, but without matching bolt pattern front to rear its kinda useless. Im going to see what i can make of just changing the front bearings,rotors,caliper,ect out.... tomorrow, its -10 and my hands are frozen.
Monday, February 06, 2012 10:52 AM
The geometry is different between the two, IIRC the Ion/Cobalt SS lower control arms are at different angles than the J-Body arms. The only thing the same is the bushings. And the rear hub bearings are a slightly different bolt pattern, so they won't match up. Very close, but off just enough to piss a person off..

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search