5x100 Saturn swap? - Page 10 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 5x100 Saturn swap?
Tuesday, June 19, 2012 9:51 PM
Mr. Quick wrote:Also, I got my hands on a donut spare, and it does NOT clear the caliper.

Bummer man.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 4:42 AM
Philly D wrote:Any update on the neon spare, and how are the 3/8 holding up so far?
I haven't got my hands on a Neon spare, but I'll try to find one around. As for the 3/8" holding up, I don't know yet. Dave is going to be my guinea pig here, but I made some minor changes in the name of strength, and started to run his brackets last night. I'm very satisfied with the final design and fitment. I'm hoping to have Dave's in his hands very soon, so he can beat on them and give an opinion on how they hold up.

Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:
Mr. Quick wrote:Also, I got my hands on a donut spare, and it does NOT clear the caliper.

Bummer man.
Yes, I was a little bummed, but with the design of the Saturn caliper, I wasn't really surprised. The banjo bolt sticks out quite a bit. That's one of the nice things about the Neon swap, because the line comes out of the side of the caliper instead of the top, but the integrated e-brake is worth this sacrifice IMO.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 4:52 AM
For the guys with 03-05 cars, there are currently two solutions to the e-brake cable.

1. change out your cables for 95-02 cables
2. mount the e-brake bracket on the axle at the shock mount (see Roofy's how-to for pics and explanation)

However, it seems there are those that are looking for a special bracket. I can certainly design one if there is interest. Would you guys want a special offset bracket that bolts to the caliper? I'm guessing the cost would be in the neighborhood of $25-30 for the pair.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 6:20 AM
YEs, yes, yes, I would take one in a heartbeat, finding an intact set of 95-02 cables here in MT is gonna be fun, would rather use the 03+ I have now. Especially at that price range, still cheaper than swapping to the other cables.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 3:45 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:

Bummer man.
Yes, I was a little bummed, but with the design of the Saturn caliper, I wasn't really surprised. The banjo bolt sticks out quite a bit. That's one of the nice things about the Neon swap, because the line comes out of the side of the caliper instead of the top, but the integrated e-brake is worth this sacrifice IMO.
I agree.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but with Jeffie's brackets, the J-body's spare tire will fit, with yours, it won't because of the larger rotor?

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 5:18 PM
^^^ I don't know if the spare fits the Jeffie setup. I asked him, but he never tried. The thing is that on this setup, it wasn't even close, and the rotor isn't really that much larger than the Saturn rotor.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 6:16 PM
Would a spacer make it fit?

Like if you got a flat on the rear you could have the spacer in the back with the spare but if you get a flat slap the spacer on behind the wheel to get the extra clearance.
Wednesday, June 20, 2012 7:17 PM
I'm sure a spacer would work. The issue is that the banjo bolt contacts the rim itself. If you put a spacer to keep the rim away from it, you'd be fine. I'll check it out and tell you exactly how much it would need to be spaced out. My gut instinct is like 40mm, but I'll check for you.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 7:49 PM
Just an idea..im buying them regardless I just daily it and like the idea of a spare lol.
Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:22 PM
Mr. Quick wrote:^^^ I don't know if the spare fits the Jeffie setup. I asked him, but he never tried. The thing is that on this setup, it wasn't even close, and the rotor isn't really that much larger than the Saturn rotor.

I don't know for sure if a J body spare will fit - BUT - the spare I have for my car I stole from my Beretta does fit with jeffs brackets, not sure if there are differences between the Beretta vs a J body.

Also, My thoughts on the e brake cable/bracket situation for 03+ cars.

If your buying/have calipers that DON'T have the factory Saturn brackets on them, like most parts store calipers, then by all means get the brackets that I hope you (Mr. Quick) will design/make to correct for the longer cable ends of the 03+ and everybody is happy.

If your buying/have calipers that DO have the factory Saturn brackets already attached/with them, then switch to 95-02 cables, different solution with the same effect, and possibly at a lesser cost.

Its really not that difficult to switch the cables, and at $20 for both sides brand new, why not? <<<< I believe mine were like $23.XX shipped from rock auto
Thursday, June 21, 2012 11:13 AM
Shawn, you never got me a quote on the 5/8 hub spacers along with the 5/8 brackets. Anything yet?

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Thursday, June 21, 2012 9:12 PM
Jordan wrote:I don't know for sure if a J body spare will fit - BUT - the spare I have for my car I stole from my Beretta does fit with jeffs brackets, not sure if there are differences between the Beretta vs a J body.

Can any one confirm this on a J-body spare tire?

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Saturday, June 23, 2012 4:42 AM
--Boosted Z-- wrote:Shawn, you never got me a quote on the 5/8 hub spacers along with the 5/8 brackets. Anything yet?
Sorry man. I'll get you a quote on those in a few days (machinist is away until Monday).

Saturday, June 23, 2012 9:31 AM
i like this so what all do you need in order to make your kit work? neon hub and rotor?and saturn caliper?how about brake lines?
Saturday, June 23, 2012 9:55 AM
You need the Neon rotor, Saturn caliper and brake lines, and my kit. You use the J-body hub.

Saturday, June 23, 2012 10:06 AM
Mr. Quick wrote:You need the Neon rotor, Saturn caliper and brake lines, and my kit. You use the J-body hub.

I was wondering how far back this will move the caliper vs jeffs brackets? Only wondering cause of my ss lines, i have a good ammount of slack now, i dont think it will be an issue, just a thought.

It might be a good idea to give info for what is needed. To swap to ss lines, maybe get with dsmskyline since he set it up after jeff did his run
Saturday, June 23, 2012 11:46 AM
Jordan wrote: To swap to ss lines, maybe get with dsmskyline since he set it up after jeff did his run

From this thread

Kardain wrote:If one wants to swap the hard line with braided, need the following parts:

Two XRP 410103 to adapt the hard line to a -3AN outlet, Two XRP 630036 lines (36" braided, -3AN to -3AN)... these were part of my "old" Neon swap package so are on the car already. There should be enough slack in the 36" hose to reach the caliper.

Two each of Earls part number 977520 and 997631, m10x1.5 banjo bolt and -3AN banjo... confirmed to work with the above caliper part numbers.

This is just one solution... Same setup as the neon kit Dearman was selling with the neon brackets. The banjo fitting is the only difference.

There is about 2" (if no more) slack... More than enough to reach the saturn calipers.

Saturday, June 23, 2012 12:28 PM
Kardain wrote:
Jordan wrote: To swap to ss lines, maybe get with dsmskyline since he set it up after jeff did his run

From this thread

Kardain wrote:If one wants to swap the hard line with braided, need the following parts:

Two XRP 410103 to adapt the hard line to a -3AN outlet, Two XRP 630036 lines (36" braided, -3AN to -3AN)... these were part of my "old" Neon swap package so are on the car already. There should be enough slack in the 36" hose to reach the caliper.

Two each of Earls part number 977520 and 997631, m10x1.5 banjo bolt and -3AN banjo... confirmed to work with the above caliper part numbers.

This is just one solution... Same setup as the neon kit Dearman was selling with the neon brackets. The banjo fitting is the only difference.

There is about 2" (if no more) slack... More than enough to reach the saturn calipers.

Be no problem to get more kits together. I still have 2 on hand.

From the info kardain posted, 36" lines are way too long. I used 22" lines and there was still some slack.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Saturday, June 23, 2012 12:54 PM
Depends on how much of the j-body lines you get rid of.

Saturday, June 23, 2012 1:45 PM
Kardain wrote:Depends on how much of the j-body lines you get rid of.

The lines I sold went to the stock hard line on the body of the car. Replaced the stock runner line between the body and swing arm and the hardline on the swing arm.

I used 30" lines on my neon setup and they were stupid long.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Saturday, June 23, 2012 1:56 PM
Yours must be routed differently... A 36" on my neons don't give a lot of slack.

Whatever the length though, just replace the last 2 digits of the hose part # with desired length...

Saturday, June 23, 2012 4:07 PM
Kardain wrote:Yours must be routed differently... A 36" on my neons don't give a lot of slack.

Whatever the length though, just replace the last 2 digits of the hose part # with desired length...

I have no clue how 36 inches is short on slack? From the hard lines to my saturns is just enough with slack at 22. Over an extra foot is crazy.

Also i had an issue with the adapter that dsm had for the hard lines to -3 an... his kit was using inverted flare adapters, jbodys are bubble/double flare. The adapters worked for others but i had toget the double flare adapter after.
Saturday, June 23, 2012 4:29 PM
Here is where my braided line starts... and it's a 36"

Goes through this hole in the trailing arm:

Follows the OEM routing placement:

TIll it reaches the caliper

Saturday, June 23, 2012 4:32 PM
For my saturn calipers, I have this fitting to go right off the braided line:

Saturday, June 23, 2012 4:55 PM
Jordan wrote:
Also i had an issue with the adapter that dsm had for the hard lines to -3 an... his kit was using inverted flare adapters, jbodys are bubble/double flare. The adapters worked for others but i had toget the double flare adapter after.

Sorry for the triple post... having to go back and forth between computer and phone cause of the saturn caliper picture... anyway...

The adapters and hose part numbers I provided are the exact same ones that came from the neon kit (except for the caliper, Neon uses a different fitting) and are the exact same ones that are on my car... 5-ish years later and no leaks at the bulkhead adapter. part numbers can be verified here: http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=3&t=128372&a=1

Any more questions?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search