5x100 Saturn swap? - Page 6 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 5x100 Saturn swap?
Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:03 AM
Scorpio1 bishes... wrote:I personally like the 1/2 spacing, the wheels look f-ing tits sticking out that far.
Brian's are actually 5/8", not 1/2". In order to do less, the bracket needs to have a pocket for the axle plate to fit into, because the adapter can not be safely made any thinner. In order to have enough material to recess the axle plate, the adapter needs to have a larger overall diameter. I'll get the redesign done and get a quote on it hopefully over the weekend. My only concern with this is that it's going to get significantly more expensive due to the increased size of the stock and increased machining needed, but I'll see what I can do to keep that down.

Thursday, March 22, 2012 11:38 AM
5/8 works for me.

Thursday, March 22, 2012 1:51 PM
1. James Kellough (scorpio1) - 1set
2. Rob (kardain) - 1 set
3. seth (durandall05) - 1 set
4. Cory Zepp (Z'sZ) - 1 set
5. Kyle McHugh (glrd) - 1 set
6. Phil Duerr - 1 set
7. Mike Iwan (ekimnawi89) - 1 set
8. Mike Roof (roofy)
9. thaprowler - 1 set
10. DanC - 1 set
11. Chelotus - 1 set
12. Pj (daflyinskwirl) 2 sets
13. Matt (--Boosted Z--) - 1 set
14. Matt (evilution) - 1 set & ebrake bracket
15. Kurt (kflo) - 1 set (looks like I showed up out of the blue at a good time!)
16. Drew Perry- 1 set plus ebrake bracket thingy
17. Dave Destefano-1 set plus ebrake bracket.
18. francis chartrand - 1 set plus ebrake bracket

Forgot to add myself for an ebrake bracket. I'm cool with the original design, but if you resize things that's fine too, I'm in either way.

Are you still shooting for mid-late April to run the GP? I'll be out of the country the first week and a half of April, just don't want to miss the GP

Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:39 PM
Scorpio1 bishes... wrote:I personally like the 1/2 spacing, the wheels look f-ing tits sticking out that far.

Thanks. Ive been working on some fitment lately.

I think the noise is just new brakes. It seems to be getting better. I think it stops better with the rear disk. Its like it doesnt start fading as fsst. Probably because the rotors are heat soaking as fast as the drums.

Thursday, March 22, 2012 8:06 PM
2. Rob (kardain) - 1 set
6. Phil Duerr - 1 set
8. Mike Roof (roofy)
9. thaprowler - 1 set
10. DanC - 1 set
11. Chelotus - 1 set
15. Kurt (kflo) - 1 set (looks like I showed up out of the blue at a good time!)
19. Josh Brewer ( PrODuCeRR) - 1 Set & Ebrake Bracket
Thursday, March 22, 2012 8:09 PM
are you @!#$ kidding me?

really...

REALLY??

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Thursday, March 22, 2012 8:11 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:are you @!#$ kidding me?

really...

REALLY??

??????
Thursday, March 22, 2012 8:18 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:are you @!#$ kidding me?

really...

REALLY??

No.

But seriously what?

Thursday, March 22, 2012 8:27 PM
lol why didnt this bracket come out BEFORE?!!?!?!?

now i gotta buy this one instead of using jeff's because i already own a brand new set of baer decelarotors for the neon swap hahahaha

but really, no offence to jeff but this one is better. its aluminum for one so its lighter, it allows the use of a readily available rotor you can simply bolt right on instead of having to re-drill AND its a bit larger.

count me @!#$ IN.

2. Rob (kardain) - 1 set
6. Phil Duerr - 1 set
8. Mike Roof (roofy)
9. thaprowler - 1 set
10. DanC - 1 set
11. Chelotus - 1 set
20. Brad Wheeler (-Z Yaaaa-) - 1 Set plus 95-99 E-brake Bracket

Thursday, March 22, 2012 8:38 PM
The only thing I really like about this over jeffs is the larger rotors.
Thursday, March 22, 2012 9:17 PM
you dont like the fact they are lighter or the fact you get to use a bolt on rotor?

Thursday, March 22, 2012 9:25 PM
Told ya it was worth the look!

Thursday, March 22, 2012 9:29 PM
2. Rob (kardain) - 1 set
6. Phil Duerr - 1 set
8. Mike Roof (roofy)
9. thaprowler - 1 set
10. DanC - 1 set
11. Chelotus - 1 set
15. Kurt (kflo) - 1 set (+ ebrake bracket)
20. Brad Wheeler (-Z Yaaaa-) - 1 Set plus 95-99 E-brake Bracket

Friday, March 23, 2012 4:09 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:you dont like the fact they are lighter or the fact you get to use a bolt on rotor?

I'm kinda indifferent about that. His brackets weren't exactly a ton, and drilling isn't a big deal. Now someone has to make a bracket for srt4 front brake swap, so this can be balanced out.
Friday, March 23, 2012 4:42 AM
Dave De Stefano wrote:Now someone has to make a bracket for srt4 front brake swap, so this can be balanced out.
This wouldn't be hard if people are interested. However, I've got other things brewing right now for fronts. They just got slowed up a bit by this project.

Friday, March 23, 2012 5:00 AM
Mr. Quick wrote:
Dave De Stefano wrote:Now someone has to make a bracket for srt4 front brake swap, so this can be balanced out.
This wouldn't be hard if people are interested. However, I've got other things brewing right now for fronts. They just got slowed up a bit by this project.

Would the fronts that you're working on fit under stock 16's?
Friday, March 23, 2012 5:04 AM
^^ Potentially. There will actually be a few options once I get it done. Watch the big brake question thread. I will post there.

Friday, March 23, 2012 5:06 AM
Hmm we must speak more Shawn.

Want hub spacers rear disk brackets or trailing arm bushings? Shoot me a PM.

Friday, March 23, 2012 5:09 AM
You know where to find me.

Friday, March 23, 2012 5:16 AM
lol yup I'll be texting you randomly thru the day.

Want hub spacers rear disk brackets or trailing arm bushings? Shoot me a PM.

Friday, March 23, 2012 6:26 AM
Mr. Quick wrote:
Brian's are actually 5/8", not 1/2". In order to do less, the bracket needs to have a pocket for the axle plate to fit into, because the adapter can not be safely made any thinner. In order to have enough material to recess the axle plate, the adapter needs to have a larger overall diameter. I'll get the redesign done and get a quote on it hopefully over the weekend. My only concern with this is that it's going to get significantly more expensive due to the increased size of the stock and increased machining needed, but I'll see what I can do to keep that down.

5/8 Works for me also, I got 1/2 eyeballing it from the pics....

But what I'm saying is with or without redesign, I'm in like flynn.

To those that are against or for jeffies over Quick's, both are great IMO, my wifey will be running Jeffie's setup on her cavfire since I'm getting these for my 03 cavy.

I'll do some testing of both, braking distance form low and high speed, opinions on fade, pedal feel, etc with both side by side at some point. A bit down the road obviously, funding 2 rear brake swaps is gonna bust me if I do it at once.
Not to argue the point of which is better, but to compare and contrast exactly how much more or less braking you get with neon rotors versus Saturn's.

Friday, March 23, 2012 6:58 AM
I'll do the redesign, but either version will be available. It won't be a problem to do a run of each.

As for performance, aside from what I suspect is a wider variety of performance rotors available for the SRT-4, I doubt there will be a noticable difference between the two swaps. The main thing this gains is a bolt-on rotor. You're still using the same caliper, with the same contact patch on the pads, and the diameter increase isn't significant enough to impact performance much.

Jeff's swap is a great option. This is merely another.

Saturday, March 24, 2012 8:21 AM
Off topic but what ever happened to using the Corvette calipers and rotors like the Baer kits were back in like 05 06. I know the rotors had to be redrilled but there is probably a readily available rotor that would work.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Sunday, March 25, 2012 7:09 AM
whats the thinnest these can be made? Wheel still has to tuck and cant rub the outer fender. 1/2-5/8 is a little much, i dont like mud flaps And is there an option for steel so this can happen?
Sunday, March 25, 2012 11:49 AM
Spencer, I can price these out with steel, but they will be considerably more expensive, unless enough people wanted them that I could have the main shape of them cut on a laser or water jet, then just machine the offsets. If they were to be done 100% machined, they would be a lot more than the aluminum, because the machining is more time consuming, and uses up bits relatively quickly. I believe the thinnest feasible for the aluminum will be 3/8", but I'm going to work on that tonight if possible.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search