5x100 Saturn swap? - Page 3 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 5x100 Saturn swap?
Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:00 PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:20 PM
Attachments
2012-02-29 17.52.58.jpg (251k)

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:00 PM
Attachments
2012-02-29 17.53.33.jpg (241k)

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:03 PM
These are going to have some sort of holder for the e-brake vs jeffies version where you jimmy rig it?
Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:04 PM
I have but one word for that setup.... Giggity

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:08 PM
Philly D wrote:These are going to have some sort of holder for the e-brake vs jeffies version where you jimmy rig it?

? Jeffie's has a holder, the bracket comes with the caliper.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:38 PM
Leafy wrote:
Philly D wrote:These are going to have some sort of holder for the e-brake vs jeffies version where you jimmy rig it?

? Jeffie's has a holder, the bracket comes with the caliper.

I think he's talking about relocating the ebrake cable bracket for the 03+ longer ebrake cables.

I think the best solution for anyone with 03+ is to just get 95-02 cables, they are under 20 bucks for the two side cables. (assuming the main cable from the handle is the same where it attaches to the individual cables) <<< I have no clue if it is.
Wednesday, February 29, 2012 7:31 PM
Yes I am talking about the 03+

I could change to the older ones I guess.
Thursday, March 01, 2012 3:19 AM
OK, so I'm hearing that the original e-brake bracket works and clears the shocks? From what I've seen of the bracket that's on the Saturn's from the factory, they appear too short.
Also, Brian's calipers did not come with the brackets at all. Obviously, a salvage yard piece should have it, but for anyone getting their parts right from the store, you may need the bracket.

At any rate, what I'll do it price the kit minus the e-brake bracket, but offer them separately.

Thursday, March 01, 2012 5:24 AM
^^Yes it does work just fine for everyone up to 02...from 03 up the ebrake cables are longer and it does not work and has to be jimmied to make work, usually means making your own bracket.
Saturday, March 03, 2012 1:55 PM
i want a set. Do we have final prices yet?
Saturday, March 03, 2012 5:54 PM
Id imagine not because I havent gotten mine yet. As of now this is is the final revision but if I have issues with anything it could change and change pricing. Id imagine Shawn has to get quotes for getting larger quantities made.

Monday, March 05, 2012 9:27 AM
Mr. Quick wrote:
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:I'm kind of going to play devil's advocate, but only because they're valid points...
I read there will be revisions, but will it touch some of the points I'm seeing?

BTW... good idea and nice to have options.
That's really just the result of a bad picture, but here's the deal:

1. The rotor and hub are not running parallel?
The rotor is parallel with the hub. In the picture, the adapter is just barely at an angle from the hub mount, because they're not bolted together. The rotor is firmly bolted flush against the hub. The angle of the shot is why you are just seeing the tip of the far stud.

2. The caliper is not biting the whole rotor?
The entire pad surface contacts the rotor. In that picture, the dark area you circled inside the caliper is just that...dark, not a huge gap as it looks.

3. Will this design let the rotor sit on hub?
The rotor sits right on the hub. No spacers necessary.

This picture was a quick cell phone shot that I sent to Brian to show him progress. Since he started this thread, I figured I'd post it up here so people had an idea of how it was going to look. The revised brackets will be in my hand tonight, and I'll be mounting them on the axle either tonight or tomorrow (depending on what time I get in tonight).

The only reason I couldn't bolt the adapter and hub together was an error when I was re-orienting the part profile for the CAM setup so that it used the smallest piece of stock. When I locked my coordinate relations, I locked two of them to the wrong points, so the holes ended up moving out of whack for the hub. Once I found the error, it was an easy correction.

Thank you.
And after the new pics, they look real good too. Nice to have options to replace the drums.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 7:29 AM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:Thank you.
And after the new pics, they look real good too. Nice to have options to replace the drums.
No problem.

I've got all Brian's parts, and I'm shipping them out to him so he can get them on and try them out.
I'll get pricing put together this evening, going under the assumption that all goes well with Brian's setup after he installs them.

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 11:31 PM
*waits impatiently*

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 6:17 AM
*smacks kardain for not waiting patiently* Bad Rob, no brackets, your grounded.

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 6:21 AM
OK guys, I'm not going to run a GP until Brian has driven on his a bit and given me some feedback. I don't anticipate any issues, but I want to be sure.

At any rate, here's the pricing unless anything major needs to be changed, which I doubt:

Set includes grade 10.9 zinc coated hardware (8 bolts, 16 lock washers, and 8 nuts for mounting the hubs and adapters, 4 bolts and 4 washers for mounting the caliper bracket)
Prices are shipped to the continental US, based on how many sell:

1-9 sets sold-----$150 each
10-19 sets sold--$140 each
20+ sold-----------$130 each

If it looks like it will go higher than that, I'll see what I can get for higher volume pricing.

These are 5/8" thick billet 6061 aluminum, anodized,

For anyone that needs an e-brake bracket, they will be available for $20 with mounting bolts and washers.
They are 1/4" steel, powdercoated. Hardware is grade 8.8 zinc coated.

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 10:00 AM
Count me in! :-)

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 10:17 AM
Roofy wrote:Count me in! :-)
Based on the previous page:

1.James Kellough (scorpio1) 1set
2. Rob (kardain) - 1 set
3. seth (durandall05)-1 set
4.Cory Zepp (Z'sZ) 1 set
5. Kyle McHugh (glrd) 1 set
6.Phil Duerr - 1 set
7. Mike Iwan (ekimnawi89) - 1 set
8. Mike Roof (roofy)

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 11:17 AM
count me in as well +1 ebrake bracket.

also, can i do this without taking apart the rear suspension assembly?
Wednesday, March 07, 2012 11:39 AM
and BTW, which year and model Saturn should I yank these from? SL, if I remember correctly
Wednesday, March 07, 2012 4:02 PM
Pics of the e-brake bracket setup and is it a solution for us 03+ swappers?

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 4:49 PM
dan C wrote:and BTW, which year and model Saturn should I yank these from? SL, if I remember correctly

Go to rockauto.com, search for 142.62549 and 142.62550.... Loaded calipers with the intermediate bracket (the bracket that bolts to the one Shawn is making up). No core charge.

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 4:58 PM
Philly D wrote:Pics of the e-brake bracket setup and is it a solution for us 03+ swappers?
It is not a fix for 03+, as I'm not sure what the difference is in the cables.

It is merely a bracket that will work for the 95+ cables. From what I know, it is not much different than the factory one, but I believe it's thicker. If you buy the calipers new (rebuilt) from a parts store, it is likely that they will not have the e-brake bracket. I've been told that the factory bracket works fine, so if you get a set of calipers from a yard, just make sure you get the e-brake brackets with them. As for 03+, it's pretty easy to swap the ends of the cables. They're cheap enough new, and even cheaper if you grab them from a yard.

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 5:05 PM
If one wants to swap the hard line with braided, need the following parts:

Two XRP 410103 to adapt the hard line to a -3AN outlet, Two XRP 630036 lines (36" braided, -3AN to -3AN)... these were part of my "old" Neon swap package so are on the car already. There should be enough slack in the 36" hose to reach the caliper.

Two each of Earls part number 977520 and 997631, m10x1.5 banjo bolt and -3AN banjo... confirmed to work with the above caliper part numbers.

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 5:24 PM
Mr. Quick wrote:
It is merely a bracket that will work for the 95+ cables.

Are you referring to the piece in this pic that the ebrake cable passes through before going to the caliper?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search