ABS light on,No brake light,No check engine light,PCM shows No codes - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ABS light on,No brake light,No check engine light,PCM shows No codes
Wednesday, February 29, 2012 12:33 PM
1998 Cavalier CS, 2200 engine,base 3 speed auto,no traction control

My ABS light came on.I have no other lights,no CEL or brake light.I took it to a friend that has a few scan tools.All of them showed no codes.He suspects a bad wheel sensor or ABS module.How can diagnose which part is the problem?My Chilton's service manual has nothing on the subject.My local stealership wants $180 just to put the car on their system.

1998 Cavalier sedan base 2200 3 speed auto

Re: ABS light on,No brake light,No check engine light,PCM shows No codes
Wednesday, February 29, 2012 1:20 PM
Well, ya those are the only things that would effect the ABS system minus the master cylinder..... Just gotta check it out, ya know??

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 1:52 PM
low fluid ..... ?
Wednesday, February 29, 2012 3:48 PM
Everything checks out as far as the fluid and no obvious damage to any parts.All connections are tight..I didn't know if the sensors or module could be tested for continuity or resistance to find a fault.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 4:00 PM
Sensors resistance should be around 1.2 kiliohms I think. Measure em all and see if one is way different than the others.
Wednesday, February 29, 2012 4:41 PM
Fixed the problem once already. With mine, it was a ground inside the abs module, although the light is back on now. Would just rip the abs out (it sucks even when it does work) but then it won't pass safety. Just take the module apart and check for anything odd.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:09 PM
colt45 wrote:Fixed the problem once already. With mine, it was a ground inside the abs module, although the light is back on now. Would just rip the abs out (it sucks even when it does work) but then it won't pass safety. Just take the module apart and check for anything odd.

I agree, ice mode when hitting a bump really sucks. just take the bulb out of the dash and it'll pass safety because only the GM scanner can get abs codes.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:50 PM
Dave De Stefano wrote:Sensors resistance should be around 1.2 kiliohms I think. Measure em all and see if one is way different than the others.

Thanks.That's the info I was looking for.

colt45 wrote:Fixed the problem once already. With mine, it was a ground inside the abs module, although the light is back on now. Would just rip the abs out (it sucks even when it does work) but then it won't pass safety. Just take the module apart and check for anything odd.

I'm not jerry rigging my car.I will replace it.Thanks for the suggestion.

Leafy wrote:I agree, ice mode when hitting a bump really sucks. just take the bulb out of the dash and it'll pass safety because only the GM scanner can get abs codes.

Thanks for the suggestion.I have never had issues with my ABS until now.The car has 220,000 and is all original except for the audio system I installed after purchasing the car new from the dealer.We don't have any type of vehicle inspects here,thankfully.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search