Subframe Alignment - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Subframe Alignment
Tuesday, February 08, 2011 11:56 AM
So I have a 2004 Sunfire. It seems to me that my subframe sits about .25 inches out of center. my front drivers side wheel sticks past the fender about .25 inch at the top of the wheel, while the passenger side does not. Only issues I know of that could possibly have caused this is the accident I was in in March of 2008. I didnt notice this issues until after I changed wheels and put my Wilwood brakes on about 6 months later. I have had 2 or 3 alignements since this, and not one of the tech doing the alignment mentioned anything, and they always got the alignment (minus this issues) with in the specs I want.

Just wondering what you guys are thinking on this.

The things I know.

- all wheels are the same offset.
- all tires are the same width
- the wilwood front brakes change the distance from hub to wheel the same on both sides.

Things I have done that MIGHT have affected this.

-changed motor mount
-changed strut mounts
-lowered the car with gravana coilovers

Things I have done since that SHOULDN't be an issue.

-installed grand am control arms with prothane bushings
-installed tranny mounts.

Re: Subframe Alignment
Tuesday, February 08, 2011 5:39 PM
Is it causing any issues for you? Or just cosmetic? I wouldn't worry if it's not causing issues. It might not even be the subframe, it might actually be the fenders themselves.

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 5:41 PM
well, sorta both. i wanna go lower, but i can't becuase the fender would sit on the tire. i cant tuck that side, but i still would be able to tuck both sides if that drivers side was correct. i am kinda thinking about getting a comprehensive quote from my insurance, and seeing is a reputable shop out here can figure it out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, February 08, 2011 5:42 PM

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 6:26 PM
Could just try loosening he subframe bolts and adjusting it back to square.

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 6:51 PM
are you sure its not a camber issue?

did you have the arms done professionally, or did you do the arms?

what alignement specs are you @?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, February 08, 2011 6:52 PM

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 8:41 PM
from reading over the years this is actually a common problem with our cars. im not sure what years or variations etc but some people have reported having similar alignment issues.

pretty sure jay van was one of them....

If it takes forever.... I will die trying. Underdog Racing
Wednesday, February 09, 2011 3:37 AM
My cavalier front is also slightly like this. I could never get it 100% correct. I'm about 90% correct, and it took a lot of screwing around with everything. Every front suspension component and engine cradle needed to be tweaked a little, or the alignment was WAY off.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, February 09, 2011 9:40 AM
z yaaaa wrote:from reading over the years this is actually a common problem with our cars. im not sure what years or variations etc but some people have reported having similar alignment issues.

pretty sure jay van was one of them....

That was his rear twist beam.

I need to check mine out. I developed a hell of a vibration around 80 mph.

Friday, February 11, 2011 6:45 PM
get toyo fenders.

end problem.

Monday, February 14, 2011 11:24 AM
toyo fenders wont work on a sunfire without major mods....plus it wouldnt solve anything. it would just mask the issue

Sunday, March 20, 2011 8:12 AM
are you sure its off center or was one fender replaced after the accident and the other was not? could be one fender is slightly different than factory (see that alot with aftermarket parts)

Sunday, March 20, 2011 8:29 PM
Justin_Inc wrote:are you sure its off center or was one fender replaced after the accident and the other was not? could be one fender is slightly different than factory (see that alot with aftermarket parts)

could be this i guess... as far as i know there is nothing abnormal about the fenders or liners or anything. i know the front bumper has been replaced, but i am pretty sure fenders are still original OEM.

Monday, March 21, 2011 6:38 PM
pics might help it should be picked up in an alignment if its out that much

JBO since July 30, 2001
Monday, March 05, 2012 8:42 PM
well a year later after removing and replacing a transmission, it seems to have gotten better. i will find out for sure after i get my alignment friday

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search