5x100 Saturn swap? - Page 5 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 5x100 Saturn swap?
Tuesday, March 20, 2012 4:36 AM
A little update: Brian has his on and is driving with them now. Hopefully he'll post up some pics and feedback soon.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 5:40 AM
1. James Kellough (scorpio1) - 1set
2. Rob (kardain) - 1 set
3. seth (durandall05) - 1 set
4. Cory Zepp (Z'sZ) - 1 set
5. Kyle McHugh (glrd) - 1 set
6. Phil Duerr - 1 set
7. Mike Iwan (ekimnawi89) - 1 set
8. Mike Roof (roofy)
9. thaprowler - 1 set
10. DanC - 1 set
11. Chelotus - 1 set
12. Pj (daflyinskwirl) 2 sets
13. Matt (--Boosted Z--) - 1 set
14. Matt (evilution) - 1 set
15. Kurt (kflo) - 1 set (looks like I showed up out of the blue at a good time!)
16. Drew Perry- 1 set plus ebrake bracket thingy
Tuesday, March 20, 2012 9:59 AM
Any idea when the brackets will be available?

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 10:40 AM
Wide open caliper with brand new pads have 12.8-13.0mm between the two pads. 12mm thick Rotor should work. Depend how your bracket center the galiper compare with Rotor. He have 0.4-0.5mm of play each side.

Boost Lover
Tuesday, March 20, 2012 10:57 AM
Yoecotec wrote:Wide open caliper with brand new pads have 12.8-13.0mm between the two pads. 12mm thick Rotor should work. Depend how your bracket center the galiper compare with Rotor. He have 0.4-0.5mm of play each side.
Good to know. The bracket has the caliper naturally centered, so if the clearance is there, it should be no problem. There is enough float room for it to adjust properly.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 11:14 AM
--Boosted Z-- wrote:Any idea when the brackets will be available?
As soon as Brian has put his through the paces and I'm satisfied that there will be no issues, I'll start the GP officially, and will post ETA of run completion at that time. I'm hoping we're looking at a mid-late April date, but I want to see how things go first.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 9:10 PM
Ok heres my official short term review. Theyre holding up so far. I havent had any leaks but I have had a softer pedal than I like. But I think I have air somewhere because everyone else is fine with Saturn calipers. I love how quiet the braking is. Full ceramic pads are so much quieter than a broken shoe and rusty hardware. The ebrake works pretty much like a normal J-body ebrake. It stops quickly even though I do have a soft pedal. It doesnt feel like its dropping in the back when I brake hard.

Installation was simple. It took me 20 minutes on the second side to get everything apart and bolted on and ready to bleed. But bleeding kicks my ass. Im going to pick up some speed bleeders to make my life easier.

The spacing is good if youre running something like a 17x7.5 +35 like I am but it might be too much for people running wider wheels

There is a very close clearance between the caliper bracket and rotor but it does clear as long as you hold the caliper while tightening the bracket or it wants to spin and get up against the hat. But I am also running different rotors than I sent Shawn so there may be a difference in the hat.

Heres how they fit in a 17

I ran 15s for a little while

And theres about a half inch between the banjo bolt and the barrel of the wheel. So they should go on 15s but not 14s so I have to rock multi wheel for a few days until I get tires.

Creeping.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 2:11 AM
How much bigger are these compared to the Saturn rotors???

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 4:52 AM
Roofy wrote:How much bigger are these compared to the Saturn rotors???
They are 10.6" rotors. I believe the Saturn rotors are 10.0", but someone else may be able to confirm this. The biggest issue was the hat. Since the Saturn rotor doesn't have the internal drum, the hat is considerably smaller, and the caliper bracket has plenty of clearance. When I was designing these, my biggest obstacle was making sure there was enough clearance for the hat while still keeping the entire pad surface on the rotor. It just barely makes it. The brackets can be clearanced slightly at the ends with a little grinding toward the ends. There must be a slight difference in the hats by manufacturer, because there was definitely a little more clearance than that on the rotor Brian sent me originally. I am going to tighten up the tolerance on the caliper bracket mounting holes a little more, though, as this should alleviate the problem of the caliper swinging inward slightly while tightening the bolts.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 5:17 AM
Looking good so far! I like that target GP run date, mid- late April makes me happy, money will be easy to spend then. lol

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 5:30 AM
I wonder if I can turn the center thinner so the wheel wouldn't still out so far?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 5:39 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:I wonder if I can turn the center thinner so the wheel wouldn't still out so far?
You mean shave some of the height off the rotor hat? I'm not sure you could safely take enough off to make a difference.

I could make the plates larger and mill a recess for the mounting plate on the axle, but the cost will go up due to larger stock and more machining. This was my original idea, but once I took all the measurements, I opted to keep the cost down.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 5:40 AM
Yah after seeing that it looks like it sticks the wheel out to much to fit my drag dr17 wheels.
Wednesday, March 21, 2012 5:46 AM
Well, if you guys would like, I'll do the redesign and get a quote on them. I could feasibly reduce the thickness behind the hub to 3/8" without a problem, but the adapter itself will end up considerably larger in diameter due to the size of the axle plate.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 6:16 AM
Mr. Quick wrote:Well, if you guys would like, I'll do the redesign and get a quote on them. I could feasibly reduce the thickness behind the hub to 3/8" without a problem, but the adapter itself will end up considerably larger in diameter due to the size of the axle plate.

This is kinda what I was wondering. 3/8" thick.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, March 21, 2012 8:50 AM
Saturn rotors are 9.8"

Personally, I'm okay with the half inch spacing. The wheels I run have a deep enough offset to not stick out too far (+42). But if a redesign is done, that's fine with me too.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 12:03 PM
I want mine with the 1/2" spacing. And looking back at my measurements when I was investigating the Neon rotors, it looks like it's a full inch bigger diameter than the Saturn rotors. Should help fill out the rear wheels even more nicely.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 5:00 PM
I like the material, looks and what it is.

Two things brought my attention:
1. That caliper is very close to that hat. I would figure with the heat after some high speed stops, or repeated track stops would make the metal expand causing to rub/scrape. I may be extreme here, but that's what the pics are telling me.

2. Can you use your original spare tire? As the spare should belong there to begin with.

Overall awesome work guys!

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 5:16 PM
Pretty sure you could hit the caliper a bit with the grinder to even it out just fine, with no adverse effects.

On a sidenote how do we measure our backspacing?
Wednesday, March 21, 2012 6:13 PM
Its not that close that thermal expansion is going to cause rubbing. Ive done several back to back 40-0 stops and there wasnt any rubbing problems. I also do a lot of 'oh @!#$' stops everyday on my way home from work and they performed better than the drums.

I will have to check the donut. It may be shallow enough that it wont hit the caliper or banjo bolt. I was probably just going to make a full size spare though since I have 6 wheels to play with.

The only complaint I have, which is very minor and I need to give some more time to see if it works itself out, is that I can hear the brakes when I hit the pedal when I have the window down. It may be from the pads or the slotted rotors too. Or because the Neon rotors are a slight bit thicker than the Saturns. Either way it really doesnt bother me at all. Its just me being picky.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:08 PM
2. Rob (kardain) - 1 set
6. Phil Duerr - 1 set
8. Mike Roof (roofy)
9. thaprowler - 1 set
10. DanC - 1 set
11. Chelotus - 1 set
15. Kurt (kflo) - 1 set (looks like I showed up out of the blue at a good time!)
16. Dave Destefano 1 set with ebrake brackets

Thursday, March 22, 2012 5:40 AM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:That caliper is very close to that hat. I would figure with the heat after some high speed stops, or repeated track stops would make the metal expand causing to rub/scrape. I may be extreme here, but that's what the pics are telling me.
As I mentioned a few posts up, the caliper is closer to the hat on the rotors that Brian is using now than they were with the factory rotors, so there is obviously a slight variance that people will have to pay attention to, but grinding a little off the caliper bracket where it's closest to increase clearance should not be an issue at all. I'm going to pick up a caliper and rotor to use for testing the redesign to decrease the offset of the hub, and I'll grind that back a little to show how it can be clearanced. I think it will actually look a little better, because the radius of the caliper bracket will be closer to the radius of the hat (if you look, you can see that the bracket is designed for a smaller rotor)

Quote:

2. Rob (kardain) - 1 set
6. Phil Duerr - 1 set
8. Mike Roof (roofy)
9. thaprowler - 1 set
10. DanC - 1 set
11. Chelotus - 1 set
17. Dave Destefano 1 set with ebrake brackets

Dave, you bumped someone off.

Thursday, March 22, 2012 6:24 AM
I personally like the 1/2 spacing, the wheels look f-ing tits sticking out that far.

Thursday, March 22, 2012 6:24 AM
2. Rob (kardain) - 1 set
6. Phil Duerr - 1 set
8. Mike Roof (roofy)
9. thaprowler - 1 set
10. DanC - 1 set
11. Chelotus - 1 set
17. Dave Destefano 1 set plus ebrake bracket.

Sorry about that.
Thursday, March 22, 2012 6:50 AM
2. Rob (kardain) - 1 set
6. Phil Duerr - 1 set
8. Mike Roof (roofy)
9. thaprowler - 1 set
10. DanC - 1 set
11. Chelotus - 1 set
17. Dave Destefano-1 set plus ebrake bracket.
18. francis chartrand - 1 set plus ebrake bracket
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search