Saturn swap SS lines?? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Saturn swap SS lines??
Wednesday, March 21, 2012 1:06 PM
I have finally developed a leak in one of my original Jbody hardlines to the Saturn rubber hose... I'm wondering if anyone ever found a pre-made direct fit line, or is the 3 part line from Jegs my best bet? I know there was a set in the classifieds a while back but i missed out on them. If anybody has any information that'd be great, or a set for sale they don't want!

Re: Saturn swap SS lines??
Friday, March 23, 2012 4:29 PM
Anybody??
Saturday, March 24, 2012 8:05 AM
I still have 2 sets of the S's lines. Should be listed in the classifieds.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Thursday, March 29, 2012 7:36 PM
Ran into an issue installing my lines (got a set from DSMskyline) went to install them tonight and the adapter for the 10mm x 1 to -3 an does not thread onto the hardline on my car, there aren't enough threads in the adapter for the nut on the hard line.. I messaged DSM about it but does anybody else have any input right quick?
Friday, March 30, 2012 10:47 AM
He seems to be the only one with my lines with that issue. From his description last night the nut on the hard line is only threaded onthe upper half of the nut. On the couple cars Ive worked on and looking at a bunch at the yard, every nut is threaded fully.

Maybe his lines have been changed or reflared at some point is my only though.

Friday, March 30, 2012 4:29 PM
I checked with a couple parts stores today, and there aren't any lines/fittings/adapters that will work for this setup, I don't get why my lines are that much different. I found an adapter that will screw into yours, but then its the same thing on that adapter, its too shallow for my line to thread into. I will have to get different nuts and re flare my line.
Monday, April 02, 2012 8:26 PM
So, need some input here.. whats the chance that my car has a bubble fitting instead of regular flare fitting? It doesn't seem logical since the lines (should) be the same for all years of cavalier, but is it possible?
Monday, April 02, 2012 8:27 PM
Metric double flares are considered bubble flares. Only difference is the shape of the flare they still both have the same angle.

Monday, April 02, 2012 8:51 PM
well I was told that that is the reason the fitting won't work, the nuts for bubble flares are generally not threaded all the way to the end of the nut is what I was told, i haven't messed with flares and brake lines much, so i only know what I have been told really...
Tuesday, April 03, 2012 5:32 AM
Not trying to take business from another jboer here, but why dont you just make your own specific to your car. it only cost me about $45 total for everything from summit. And i know I'm not going to have any issues cuz I'm the one who did them...
Tuesday, April 03, 2012 5:48 AM
Since DSM's are a DIRECT FIT and all the leg work is done...

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 5:57 AM
He is also the only one of over 10 sets out there that is having issues.

I say cut the nut off and flare a normal one on. Most auto part store that rent tools will have a double flare tool.

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 11:42 AM
Well obviously its not quite direct fit for me, my issue was not knowing what the line was exactly, considering the adapter was inverted flare, one would assume the line was inverted flare. Really if the line was a double/bubble to start with then why not use a bubble flare adapter?...
Tuesday, April 03, 2012 11:53 AM
They don't really make a m10x 1 bubble flare to -3an adapter. Atleast I couldn't find on when searching.

I was told by 2 brake line manufacturers that all metric fittings are bubble flare and will work in an inverted flare.

For some reason your lines seem to be the odd one out.

Ill do some searching and see what can be done.

In the meantime can you post a picture of the flare nut so its referenced.

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 11:56 AM
I agree with DSM, cut and reflare with the right nut. It takes about 5 minutes to flare brake lines.

I wouldn't get upset at DSM so easily, you have to remember this is the first time anybody has had a problem with his lines, so he is new to your problem as well.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Tuesday, April 03, 2012 11:57 AM
I did actually find a bubble flare adapter.
Here

Being the nice guy I am, I will refund you the $17.48 they will cost to ship to you.

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 12:00 PM
Money sent. keep the other adapters or mail them back. I dont really care either way.

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 12:15 PM
I was going to say i found several bubble flare adapters and ordered a set from summit already and that was only 15 something shipped, you didn't have to refund the money, i'll probably send them back to you since i'll never have a need for them. Maybe someone else could use them for another set of lines.

And i've never had any hard feelings for DSM, he was as oblivious to the problem as I was, since I really didn't know what was going on and all he had to go by was the shotty description I was trying to give. Its not his fault my car has different flare nuts on it lol.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search