Those with the actual Wilwood J-body Front Brake Kit - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Those with the actual Wilwood J-body Front Brake Kit
Friday, March 23, 2012 5:54 AM
hey guys i finally got me a wilwood front kit... (yes i bought it brand new with the whole kit n' caboodle , slotted/drilled rotors AND the SSB lines) now, i was under the assumption that with it you get to safety wire the hat to rotor bolts together. well, according to my "kit" this just isnt the case. all i got were torx bit bolts and no safety wire. (i got wilwood bolt kit 230-12177) the instructions indicate " Item NO. - (8) -as seen in diagram-......Part number (230-11935) (Bolt, 5/16-18 X1.00 Long, button Head Torx). Then, below it states - "Part number 230-12177 rotor bolt kit, includes part number (230-11935).

The instructions i received state absolutely nothing about safety wire or otherwise.

just wondering if this is something you guys that have bought the kit before me did on your own or if it ACTUALLY came with the safety wire stuff?

to this is which i refer...
as seen HERE!

(stolen from jay van)

(stolen from jay van)

as well as...

GO HERE FOR THE J-BODY FAQ ON THE WW KIT!!!!

JBO Wilwood Faq = "Step 1: The rotors and hats must be assembled. The 8 hex bolts are bolted into the back of the rotor securing the hat. Once all bolts are tightened down, safety wire is then threaded, wound and cut to ensure the bolts will not fall in the unlikely case of them backing out. Safety-wire pliars are recommended for this step. A set can be purchased from any auto store for around $60."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, March 23, 2012 5:55 AM

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!

Re: Those with the actual Wilwood J-body Front Brake Kit
Friday, March 23, 2012 8:04 AM
Maybe Wilwood changed the instructions to the kit?? Does the bolts that came with your kit have a hole in it for a wire??

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Friday, March 23, 2012 12:02 PM
mine came with the bolt style that can accommodate safety wire... but I got my kit a few years ago.

Friday, March 23, 2012 12:23 PM
Kardain wrote:mine came with the bolt style that can accommodate safety wire... but I got my kit a few years ago.

Same here, I got my kit used but it had new bolts in the wilwood box and they have a hole for the safety wire. I could probably dig around in the garage and find the part number for them if you want Brad

By the way, in the box with the bolts it has a little yellow card that mentions the torque for the rotor bolts and the safety wire. You can see the yellow card in jay's pics of to the side

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, March 23, 2012 12:37 PM

"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers"-Colin McRae
Friday, March 23, 2012 12:40 PM
Sunday, March 25, 2012 9:33 AM
yea i saw that yellow card in jay's pics and wondered about that...

hmm maybe they just did away with the safety wire then? my bolts definitely do NOT have holes for the wire.. and they are a torx bit head instead of like what ive seen.

oh well, ill get ahold of wilwood and see whats up....

Monday, March 26, 2012 1:21 PM
My wilwoods 4 or 5 years ago came with the hex bolts with the holes but no wire, the instructions told me to go get some - so I did. lol.

I'd def contact them and ask about getting the bolts... I wouldn't assemble those without the wire personally.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Monday, March 26, 2012 1:38 PM
not require anymore Brad. Never really required to begin with. added safety yes. required no. mine are NOT wired.

Monday, March 26, 2012 1:49 PM
Considering brad is a safety "just in case" freak I can see him wanting the wire.

In my opinion it was a smart little system and I liked the extra assurance considering it's a 2 piece design.

Plus it was a good way to down a few beers and burn off a cigar!

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Monday, March 26, 2012 4:57 PM
Just checked, no go anymore. Thats what my supplier says anyways.

Mark

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Monday, March 26, 2012 7:23 PM
Mine have wire on them, but I got them used from Darkstars. I know for a fact though that even with the bolts with holes for the wire, the wire was not included. When I replace the rotors on mine, I will wire them again.

Monday, March 26, 2012 7:23 PM
well yea lol of course im gonna want something that was deemed necessary first off but not now. i feel like i got hosed on the deal, personally LOL

nah i get where wilwood is coming from. if 1000whp camaro's and evo's etc are doing fine without the wire then no freakn j-body will ever have an issue without it.

but as chris said, im a "Freak" of my own breed so ill probably end up making my own wire setup. i was actually really looking forward to learning how to do it, etc.

Monday, March 26, 2012 7:27 PM
Monday, March 26, 2012 8:30 PM
It should be pretty easy to get bolts with wire holes in them, probably available online somewhere..
Tuesday, March 27, 2012 6:29 AM
I put some loc-tite on mine because I dont have these fancy safety bolt

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 7:33 AM
mcmoney wrote:I put some loc-tite on mine because I dont have these fancy safety bolt

My Wilwood kit from Precision Brakes ( now Revolution brakes ) did not come with wires either so I used red loc-tite with no issues

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Tuesday, March 27, 2012 8:58 AM
I would use Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 or Loctite Threadlocker Green 290 over Loctite Threadlocker Red 271.

I would use Green 290 if it was me.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:18 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:well yea lol of course im gonna want something that was deemed necessary first off but not now. i feel like i got hosed on the deal, personally LOL

nah i get where wilwood is coming from. if 1000whp camaro's and evo's etc are doing fine without the wire then no freakn j-body will ever have an issue without it.

but as chris said, im a "Freak" of my own breed so ill probably end up making my own wire setup. i was actually really looking forward to learning how to do it, etc.

I meant it with all the <3 in the world, Brad.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:37 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:I would use Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 or Loctite Threadlocker Green 290 over Loctite Threadlocker Red 271.

I would use Green 290 if it was me.

Thanks for the info....Not sure if I can fix it at the moment

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Tuesday, March 27, 2012 5:29 PM
Brad did yours come with shims? My brand new set didn't?

______________________________________________________________________________________________
~Using nitrous is like having sex with a hot chick with an STD, you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences.~
Tuesday, March 27, 2012 6:28 PM
um.. i dont recall seeing any "Shims" do you mean theflat stock brake pad like things? (lol sorry i dont know their term)

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 6:33 PM
That's it.. Cutting my safety wires tonight.

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:09 PM
Wednesday, March 28, 2012 7:25 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:um.. i dont recall seeing any "Shims" do you mean theflat stock brake pad like things? (lol sorry i dont know their term)

Without them it's going to make noise once your brakes get warmed up. Trust me I know.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
~Using nitrous is like having sex with a hot chick with an STD, you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences.~
Wednesday, March 28, 2012 11:02 AM
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search