Rear Drum Problem - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rear Drum Problem
Saturday, March 17, 2012 11:20 PM
Hey everyone, ive got a 99 chev cavalier base model. The rear driver side brake shoes are rubbing quite a bit, actually wore out my old drum twice as fast as the passenger side vreating a huge ridge on the inside. So once i managed to get the old drum off i put a new one on and closed the adjuster all the way but im still getting grabbing, i still have life left in my shoes, but my wheel cylinder does look like its pushed out quite a bit. Also the ebrake locks up the passenger side fairly easy but i have to pull it quite hard back to even grab a bit on the driver side. I bled the line there, was air but still very tight to drum and lose e-cable, if anyone could help me out with this problem id really appreciate it.

Re: Rear Drum Problem
Sunday, March 18, 2012 10:58 AM
It sounds like the slave cylinder is internally corroded and needs to be replaced. They are cheap. you may need tork bit to remove the mounting screws. You'll also have to bleed the system again.
dennis
Sunday, March 18, 2012 9:40 PM
Alright thanks ill change it and let you know how it works. Thanks again.
Monday, March 19, 2012 4:15 AM
I had problems with my drums, so I did this.

May be something you can look into if you want.

Thursday, March 22, 2012 10:43 PM
Dont care to put rotors on the back, its a cavalier. Also what master flight calls a slave cylinder, is what we canadians call a wheel cylinder??? If so i changed the one in question not even 9 months ago.
Friday, March 23, 2012 12:25 PM
Wheel cylinders should be changed in pairs, so that might be contributing to your problem. I had a terrible problem with the rears locking up after I did a complete rebuild. After chasing it for nearly a year, I resolved the issue when I installed some Delco shoes. It seems the after markets had too much friction.

2.2 97 Cavalier......the "Crapalier"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search