best ride quality+lowness - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
best ride quality+lowness
Wednesday, March 28, 2012 6:33 PM
i had d-specs with rksport coilover sleeves and the ride was ass. i want a real set of coilovers with solid mounts, what is everyones opinions on what go the lowest and ride the best?

Re: best ride quality+lowness
Wednesday, March 28, 2012 7:53 PM
the lower it is the more harsh i will be unless you want air.
Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:50 PM
Tein SS

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 10:04 PM
I always loved sportlinlines and yellows....

My car was made with wrenches, Not chopsticks.
Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:39 AM
Kardain wrote:Tein SS

This or STD's

Thursday, March 29, 2012 2:16 AM
STD R3
STD R5

either or... double ride height adjustable... the R3s aren't bad, but I'd suggest goin with R5s if you can afford them because they come with rear pillowballs...
I have two cars both with R3s and I go through rear strut mounts on my daily about every 6 months.

The R5s have solid rears and will probably withstand the abuse a bit better

Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:24 AM
what about bg's? do they have pillowtop mounts? cause i know they can go way loww.. ive read that teins dont go very low?
Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:29 AM
My vote goes to Tein SS since I have never rode in a cav with STD R3's or R5's.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:04 AM
The STD's and B&G's both can go low because they are double ride height adjustable. This means a better ride because they strut still can have the full travel when they are slammed. I have Tein SS on both of my cars, they are set pretty low, but slammed you can feel the strut not dampening like it should.

The thing about performance suspensions, especially coilovers, is that you will never get that cushy nice factory ride. They are made for handling and performance, not to ride like a Cadillac.
I seriously doubt you will be satisfied with any aftermarket suspension if you want a stock feeling ride.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:08 AM
You know, after having driven on cars with real 2000 dollar coil overs, the teins are pretty much crap. They have like what wimpy 300 something fronts and high 200 rears? Ride quility is worse than my new 700 front 400 rear monotube setup on a lighter car (which should be more effected by spring rate) The Teins either suffer from too much high speed compression damping (read not enough divergence on the piston) or terrible hysterisis. If you really want low with a good ride, I would only be looking at good quality monotubes and not twin tubes like the teins. You also have to make sure the shock bodies are short enough that you arent hitting the bump stops on every bump but also not so short that you need to have pre-load on the spring to make the car high enough.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:59 AM
im thinking bgs, do they have pillowtop mounts?

Thursday, March 29, 2012 5:23 PM
I was looking into struts myself. I'm getting some Eibach Sportlines but am not sure what struts to get. It is a daily driver, but I also do not expect it to ride as well once lowered. What I was wondering is if any companies(napa, autozone, o'reilly's, pep boys) carry a "stock" strut that is actually strong enough to handle the lowering? I know everyone goes out and buys this big name brand struts, but are there less costly alternatives? Has anyone ever looked for specs on some of the offerings?
Thursday, March 29, 2012 5:33 PM
Its not the strength of the strut during lowering. Its the valving and the length of the shock shaft (to prevent the shaft from bottoming out).

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Thursday, March 29, 2012 5:58 PM
Valving, thats more of the term i was looking for when i typed that. I was hoping I'd still get my point across. I guess I did.....

So, like I and others have done to my Geo Metro; an you get non-gas struts, take them apart and modify the valve, or just change the viscosity of the oil to change to the way we need them? Or, back to the original question, is there more cost effective option?
Friday, March 30, 2012 11:26 AM
so the tein ssp ride really good?
Friday, March 30, 2012 1:16 PM
No, they ride better than a profit/ago combo but the ride is far from stock. I like then but the ride is a stiffer one.

Saturday, April 07, 2012 9:40 AM
I heard that the BG set of struts were nice with the spring if you wanted a more comfy lowered ride. I have eibach sportlines now. Do you know where to get just the struts for the front and back to accompany these? Or, have suggestions for me?
Saturday, April 07, 2012 6:28 PM
You can't buy just a b&g strut, they are part of the coil over.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 12:28 PM
I looked at the B+G site, no mention about them coming with mounts.
Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:15 PM
My BC BR's are amazing they can go lower than any other coilover and still ride good no matter how low it is ou can check them out at flushstance.com

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:43 PM
Ruben Torres wrote:My BC BR's are amazing they can go lower than any other coilover and still ride good no matter how low it is ou can check them out at flushstance.com

AVG blocked a threat..........NICE

Friday, April 27, 2012 6:17 AM
sportlines and tokico d-spec are a good blend of grip and a pretty good ride. low and control i have 80,000 miles on mine. on a side note it rides just about like a 2011 camaro ss damn near dead on like it too

see ya!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search