Best Full Coil-Over Kit - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Best Full Coil-Over Kit
Monday, April 09, 2012 12:57 PM
Im looking to replace my suspension, since im now putting down some good power.
I saw some incorrect partnumber pairing from STD, has this been solved?
My car is not a daily driver, and I beat on it hard.
Im not worried about be "low", because I already have ground clearance issues, but I would like it to sit level.
Possibly 1" wheel gap would be nice.
Handling is also a must.
My current choices are:
STD R5
Tein S/S

I was also looking at the KW Variant 1, and 3 but they do not come with upper mounts.
So these would have to be paired with the OEM solid mounts.
Making this setup $2000+ for the KW V-1 and $2500+ for the KW V-3.

Questions or Comments welcome.
Or other possible combinations?

Re: Best Full Coil-Over Kit
Monday, April 09, 2012 7:27 PM
I havent been in a car with STD's yet, but everycar that i have been in with the Tein SS has handles amazingly and has the adjustibility to be quite comfortable if you want.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 7:52 AM
Why not kw's?
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 8:30 AM
Dave De Stefano wrote:Why not kw's?

They do not come with solid mounts.
It make no sence to buy high quality components and pair them with stock components, especially suspension.
I made the mistake of buying cheap suspension and now I want to correct it.
You either have to resue the crappy stock mounts, or additionally buy the solid OEM mounts.
Making the KW's cost $500-$1000 more than the Tein's and the STD, as stated above.
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:28 AM
I thought the 3 came with mounts
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 12:12 PM
I love my teins, have them on both of my cars. I would love to play with STDs though because they are made to be slammed without restricting strut travel. I had my teins dumped and they didn't exactly feel great on any strut setting. But now they are still decently low but the ride is 100 times better.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:31 PM
the only thing that i like about STD's is the dual adjustment. other than that they seem cheesy and cheap IMO.

well that and that bright yellow is just beyond gay.

if we could get tein's with the dual adjustment IMO they would be best because you then have the option for the EDFC. might be considered a "lazy" mod but hey... creature comforts are nice. especially if you dont have one set style of racing in mind with the car.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:31 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:the only thing that i like about STD's is the dual adjustment. other than that they seem cheesy and cheap IMO.

well that and that bright yellow is just beyond gay.

if we could get tein's with the dual adjustment IMO they would be best because you then have the option for the EDFC. might be considered a "lazy" mod but hey... creature comforts are nice. especially if you dont have one set style of racing in mind with the car.

how exactly do they seem cheap and cheesy? Ive had them in hand and can tell they aren't cheap in any aspect. Great welds, solid mounts... Ive held both in my hands and can say they are equal if not the STD's are better than the Tien's. Looking at my car you cant even see the yellow springs under there.

To me the EDFC is not worth the price. I have never once rode in a car and said, I think I need to change how it rides on the fly. Especially for the price. Ill get my lazy ass out of the car with my adjustor knob and spin it the clicks I want it. Plus Ive always set it and forget it... Maybe racing this year ill change it but I have plenty of time in the pits to adjust it via the dial.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 7:34 PM
idk they just looked like something you'd buy on ebay to me, honestly. also when we installed them on tyler's car one of the front mount studs for the strut tower broke off as well as the adjuster bolts for the camber settings were hitting the inner strut tower circle. its obvious they just threw them together for our cars but the same can be said for a lot of coilovers, including the teins, im sure...

the yellow is personal preference. most wouldnt care. i do.

the edfc may not be worth the price (i got mine cheap on a part out so i cant complain, really) but honestly... think about it man, you added power windows and locks to your car right? whats the difference between being too lazy to roll the windows down or open the door with ur key versus me wanting to adjust my struts on the fly as well? to me being able to adjust the struts as such is an awesome option. sure its a bit lazy of me to want to do it this way but i could care less. its a creature comfort. no different than adding power windows or power locks in my eyes... plus it also helps the initial dial in of the suspension when finding out the car's strengths as weaknesses, as well. instead of spending all day out there reaching up underneath the rear tray and popping the hood a few dozen times you get to sit in the comfort of ur seat and do it at the push of a button.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 7:52 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:idk they just looked like something you'd buy on ebay to me, honestly. also when we installed them on tyler's car one of the front mount studs for the strut tower broke off as well as the adjuster bolts for the camber settings were hitting the inner strut tower circle. its obvious they just threw them together for our cars but the same can be said for a lot of coilovers, including the teins, im sure...

the yellow is personal preference. most wouldnt care. i do.

the edfc may not be worth the price (i got mine cheap on a part out so i cant complain, really) but honestly... think about it man, you added power windows and locks to your car right? whats the difference between being too lazy to roll the windows down or open the door with ur key versus me wanting to adjust my struts on the fly as well? to me being able to adjust the struts as such is an awesome option. sure its a bit lazy of me to want to do it this way but i could care less. its a creature comfort. no different than adding power windows or power locks in my eyes... plus it also helps the initial dial in of the suspension when finding out the car's strengths as weaknesses, as well. instead of spending all day out there reaching up underneath the rear tray and popping the hood a few dozen times you get to sit in the comfort of ur seat and do it at the push of a button.

look at KW variants colors...PURPLE AND YELLOW....ksport, orange purple yellow. driftworks orange black. Colors are colors. Some are brighter than others. I didnt break any studs. I did have to pop 2 out for the rear mounts which was no big deal. also the adjuster bolts need to be moved in or out per what degree of camber you are aiming for. To me they have more options, more adjustability.

I cant even count how many times ive read people say the Tien's feel like they are bottoming out on strut travel. To me thats an issue I wont have to deal with.

I dont see EDFC like power windows or locks. I dont see them the same because Im not adjusting my suspension every time I drive the car. For DD, I can remember 8 clicks all around. For racing I can remember 4 clicks in front 2 in the rear. Only adjust them when Im in those elements. Power windows and locks are an every single time I drive the car thing.

I do get what your saying with not having to pop the hood and trunk to set it, but once its set.... mines set. Never needs touched again unless my elements of using the car changes.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:16 PM
hahaha i know and i dont like those colors either. hell i honestly dont even like the green on the teins!

and hey dont forget you had to have them make special extenders for the rear as well as ruin 2 200 dollar tires to figure out they were too low. that to me has cheesy written all over it. BUUUUT i do like that they fixed it. that is definitely awesome! (ps, did they ever replace the tires? i honestly dont remember reading if they had or not...)

and yes ur right, didnt think about how often you'd be using the window and lock switches. definitely more than the edfc thats for sure. idk though i still prefer on the fly.

but, just like anything else in this world, to each their own.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:22 PM
Didnt really have to have them make special extenders... Just had to have them send the correct parts to the kit. They admitted to sending the wrong parts... and no compensation what so ever. Tires are going to be ran since the slice is no deeper than the tread cut pattern is. Look salvageable but im still going to try to replace them sooner than later.

I look at the EDFC as how they sell it too. Its an accessory. Even sold as an accessory. An added bonus that you can get and use provided you want to spend the extra money. I could just see myself setting it once, then thats it. Just another piece of electronics to try to fit into the already cramped cavalier interior.

Its hard enough to get someone to spend money for STD's or Tien's, let alone the extra for the EDFC

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:25 PM
LOL i know! there are really only a select hand full around here that are willing to blow the money on the quality stuff anymore.

oh well.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 5:10 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:LOL i know! there are really only a select hand full around here that are willing to blow the money on the quality stuff anymore.

oh well.

ME ME ME.
As we all know, If I cant find a good set, I just might make my own.
Thursday, April 12, 2012 6:06 AM
I went with the STD R5's over the Tein SS. The main reason is the dual height adjustment on the STD's.

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Thursday, April 12, 2012 6:19 AM
What is this dual height adjustment?
I keep reading about this, but I have not found a good explaination about what this involves.
Thursday, April 12, 2012 8:05 AM
Bobby Higgins wrote:What is this dual height adjustment?
I keep reading about this, but I have not found a good explaination about what this involves.

You can adjust the length of the shock/strut with a separate adjustment for ride height. Dual adjustment will allow you to have full suspension travel and lower ride heights

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Thursday, April 12, 2012 10:23 AM
it means you can lower the car without taking preload off the spring and shortening the travel of the strut. the lower shock mount is actually threaded in addition to the collar for the lower spring perch.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 2:19 PM
For the Tien's, when you lower the car, it compresses the spring as well as the strut. So you automatically lose travel every mm you go lower. On the STD's, when you lower you can drop the lower spring/strut perch and keep your travel. You can also set it to be even stiffer than what just the struts give you by increasing the spring pressure. Mine are set to barely spin by hand on all 4 corners.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 2:40 PM
i wont pretend to know much about the subject but when the strut compresses when you lower the car why do you need the same amount of strut travel as if it were not lowered?

when i buy a performance suspension i dont want it to ride like a cadillac i want it to provide more feel, less body roll and better handling characteristics.

so.. besides it riding a little bit worse why is it a problem for the strut not to travel as much? .. or is there more to it than that?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Thursday, April 12, 2012 2:46 PM

Thursday, April 12, 2012 4:17 PM
With the twins the strut compresses the lower you go but not the spring, it would only compress if you lifted the car.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 4:23 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:i wont pretend to know much about the subject but when the strut compresses when you lower the car why do you need the same amount of strut travel as if it were not lowered?

when i buy a performance suspension i dont want it to ride like a cadillac i want it to provide more feel, less body roll and better handling characteristics.

so.. besides it riding a little bit worse why is it a problem for the strut not to travel as much? .. or is there more to it than that?

Thats why you stiffen up the preload or get stiffer spring rates.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:02 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:

Because when it looses travel it can bottom out wearing out the strut. Also less travel means less dampening. When my Teins were dumped the car was very bouncy no matter how I set them. Bouncy suspension is not good for performance handling imo.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:13 PM
the teins do incorporate a shorter strut to help combat the bottoming out. they are not designed to be slammed though. tein also uses relatively soft spring rates.

there is a lot of misinformation floating around in this thread... single or dual adjustment, the spring still compresses. the dual just allow for more travel and the ability to ADD preload to the suspension (if you chose to do so) without raising the car up. with the teins, you lose travel AND preload when you lower the car as the lower spring perch is moved to do so.

the dual adjustment is the better choice for a performance minded suspension.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:20 PM
when i had BGs my car would bottom out way before the struts

BG coilovers with OEM mounts best bang for the buck.. (overkill... that is. ). or even BC coilovers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:21 PM

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search