N+W+F-Body Front Suspension Swap - How To - Page 11 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: N+W+F-Body Front Suspension Swap - How To
Monday, July 23, 2007 11:33 AM
oh ok, so yeah that makes perfect sense, even though they were labled different codes MK7 VS (forgket the LD9 tranny) i knew they were the same tranny, but different housings like you had mentioned.

I just thought that they'd sit in different postions relative to the wheels, and thats why there was a difference between 2200/2.4 axels

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Saturday, July 28, 2007 7:56 AM
N-Body automatics are 4T45E trannys, J-Body 4 speed automatics are 4T40E trannys. They are very similar, not quite identical. But the output splines are the same, so the same inner CV fits both.

Sunday, July 29, 2007 11:54 AM
I had a thought while pricing out everything needed to do this swap and I'd like others opinions onthese thoughts:

I got both knuckles complete with rotors, calipers and hoses from the junk yard for $170 for both sides, then the drilled & slotted 12" Impala rotors are $250 for the pair, the dual piston calipers and brackets were $250, braided brake lines $95 then having to buy 4 new wheels since Riax Seca's don't come in 5 x 115 were $800 ( plus i lose the ability to rotate the tires) also I'd have to get either custom axles or buy stock N or W axles then swap parts around. Now the total of all of that is $1565 ( not including the axle stuff ) vs the Baer 13" big brake kit $1250 and I can keep the rims and axles I already have, it seems to me I'll come out better buying the Baer kit, what do you guys think?

2000 Z24 5spd header & catback for now.
Sunday, July 29, 2007 5:25 PM
It all depends on each person's car. For example, me, if I wanted anything bigger, I had to get new rims regardless (up from stock 16's). So for me, it doesn't count.

$95 for everything from the junkyard, $55 for front SS lines, $130 for brembo plain rotors, $65 for the hawk pads. You're getting hosed at the yard, the SS lines you could get for cheaper, rotors are your choice, and you are really getting hosed on the calipers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Sunday, July 29, 2007 9:25 PM
I paid less than $320 for for all the parts to do mine. Hosed isn't even the word for those outrageous prices.
I got my rims off eBay for $800 with rubber, I sold the tires for $300 (were brand new).

II did this swap to get the 5x115 pattern to match the rear (N-body IRS swap). Just so happened that it gave me the opportunity to greatly increase the brakes at the same time. It was all decently cheap for me, and simply bolts together.

Dale: If you're leaving the back alone and don't have rims that do both patterns you might really want to go with a BBK. It'll be quite a bit less work at any rate. Plus if you ever sell the car the next owner is going to be put off something mighty that the front and rear patterns don't match and the spare is only good on the rear (since I have all 5x115 I have an Impala spare).

Monday, August 20, 2007 8:17 PM
UPDATE!!!!

Well after having a clicking drivers axle for 2 months i got a reman Nbody drivers axle......... (insert drum roll)

It fits perfect. The axle i got was identical length as the stock J axle. Meaning no more hybrid axles.

So i suggest NOT using the normal length aluminum control arms as it could pull on the axle too much around turns.

Also when i compared the 2 axles hybrid and stock n body the hybrid was about 1/2" longer from inner cup to outer hub seat.

Sorry i didnt get any pix as it was raining and i wanted to get it done ASAP

Thanks to TaetschZ24 for convincing me to try it, im glad i did!

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 8:28 AM
So you are saying that the 2 N-body axles I have sitting in my garage I can just put them in and not have to worry about swapping the j outer joint? Sweet.

Car is for Sale!Supercharger kit is for sale!
Tuesday, August 21, 2007 9:58 AM
Wrench Monkey wrote:Thanks to TaetschZ24 for convincing me to try it, im glad i did!

I'm pretty sure I've been saying to try it all along!!! lol.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Friday, August 24, 2007 5:09 PM
Are the rotors not different bolt patterns? Do you have to run staggered fit wheels?
Friday, August 24, 2007 6:18 PM
I have dual pattern wheels. so yes the bolt patterns are different, but with me finding the drivers axle to be the same it makes the swap that much easier.

Friday, August 24, 2007 6:29 PM
^ I'm gonna be getting some new N-body axles here in the next couple days. I have an automatic, and I went by the autoparts store and tried to get some info on the axles, but all the guy had was pictures, and fromthe pictures, they were identical, input shaft and length wise.

So hopefully both axles are the same. I'll keep everyone updated.

Friday, August 24, 2007 9:22 PM
id guess the auto axles are the same just like the manuals. i need to get the pass axle to find out if its the same as well. hopefully it is

Thursday, August 30, 2007 5:48 PM
Can the N-body components be off a Grand Prix or Alero ? OR must everything be off a 2000 Malibu ? I am assuming it must be a 3100 equipped vehicle ?

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Thursday, August 30, 2007 5:50 PM
I meant Grand Am in my above post, not Grand Prix***

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Thursday, August 30, 2007 8:18 PM
Engine doesn't matter. Only suspension codes matter. Malibus all have FE1 = Drum rear brakes. Grand AM SEs have FE1 as well. GAM GTs and Aleros have FE2 or FE3 = Rear Disc brakes with 15 or 17mm sway bars respectively IIRC.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 8:39 PM
Im asking about the front more so, The How to in this thread says N-Body 2000 Malibu, So I was just curious to if their were any variations in the front steering knuckles axles ect between the different N-bodys.

My Cav
I give up...
Thursday, August 30, 2007 9:20 PM
Fronts are all the same except the control arms which were aluminum in 1999, and are identical to ours (except 1/2" longer) in 00-05.

Friday, August 31, 2007 4:18 PM
Bobby(Blown&Pullied) wrote:So you are saying that the 2 N-body axles I have sitting in my garage I can just put them in and not have to worry about swapping the j outer joint? Sweet.

If you are swapping in unmodified N-body control arms at the same time, then yes. If you are sticking with your stock control arms, or putting in shortened aluminum N-body arms, you will have to swap the outters. The N-body axles are 1/2" longer.

Friday, August 31, 2007 5:26 PM
not the one Tom just swapped in..... his 'hybrid' axle was actually alightly longer then the OEM N-Body axle.... (Drivers side, shorter axle)

Friday, August 31, 2007 6:36 PM
Soooooo wtf lol. One person actually used a n-body axle and it fit right, and someone says that it wont work without the n-body control arms, I was gonna buy some new n-body axles today to see if they were the same length as my current axles.

Looks like its gonna be a test for me

Worst case scenario I have to get n-body control arms............

Friday, August 31, 2007 8:44 PM
Quiklilcav wrote:
Bobby(Blown&Pullied) wrote:So you are saying that the 2 N-body axles I have sitting in my garage I can just put them in and not have to worry about swapping the j outer joint? Sweet.

If you are swapping in unmodified N-body control arms at the same time, then yes. If you are sticking with your stock control arms, or putting in shortened aluminum N-body arms, you will have to swap the outters. The N-body axles are 1/2" longer.[/quote

Not doubting you but mine was a perfect fit. If i were to use the Aluminum Control Arms my axle could pull out of the inner cup from too much pull on the axle which is BAD.

Saturday, September 01, 2007 9:46 AM
That's just odd. The N-body axles and control arms are both 1/2" longer than the J-body. I'm wondering if the factory leaves more slack than necessary to make sure that a large amount of compression on the suspension doesn't make the axles bind. I'm still inclined to go with the shortening, because if GM set them at a specific length, you can be sure they had a good reason. Somewhere in the movement of a suspension, the slightly longer axle probably has the potential to bind, although that also could be taking into account factory rubber bushings as well. If you are upgrading everything, you can probably go with a closer tolerance without any worries.

Saturday, September 01, 2007 10:07 PM
i have the poly control arm bushings which i assume are helping from keeping my axle from binding. but so far so good and no problems.

Saturday, September 01, 2007 11:28 PM
I still have some type of "thumping" (no longer clicking) from the driver side axle. I replaced the outer cv joints on both sides, and the only time i hear this new thumping coming from the suspension is when doing a long sweeping turn. im pissed yet again. perhaps the inside tripod is binding, i duno. but it sure is pissing me the @!#$ off. u guys got any ideas?

new outer cv joints (maybe i got a bad one?)
new hub bearings
new ball joints
new poly a-arm bushings

wtf.

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Sunday, September 02, 2007 12:22 AM
Wrench Monkey wrote:i have the poly control arm bushings which i assume are helping from keeping my axle from binding. but so far so good and no problems.

like we said, your N-body axle is a tad shorter (laying side by side) then the hybrid axle...... no reason it would bind. In its 'relaxed' state, it has room to move in or out, so its in a happy medium. The N-body has longer control arms and strut towers are spaced out farther..... but the axles seem to be the same length..... it is odd.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search