N+W+F-Body Front Suspension Swap - How To - Page 15 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: N+W+F-Body Front Suspension Swap - How To
Wednesday, April 08, 2009 12:20 PM
NO you have to use the GXP calipers with the GXP rotors you use the W body rotor with the F body calipers

see page 1 for the instrcutions if you want the 13" you may have to Drill and tap the hole i think the n body is a M12 and the W body is an M14 but i don't have them in front of me so i don't know for sure i KNOW the grand prix guys are switching from the F body calipers to the GXP ones they had to sleave there spindle to run the F body caliper

the f body caliper wont work with the GXP rotor because he rotor is too big. i put this 13 " out there for someone to do its very new on the J bodys at the moment, i wont be doin mine until the winter

JBO since July 30, 2001

Wednesday, April 08, 2009 3:46 PM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:ClubGP.com
GOClubGP.com

Seriously Dale, you need to ask these guys any of your questions, since it would be very close to doing the same thing. The only main difference is that the GP has 14mm holes already drilled in the spindle. Otherwise, the dimensions between the caliper mounting tabs and the hub face are the same from the GP to the GA.

Wednesday, April 08, 2009 8:20 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, I'll check with the folks on the suggested sites and if it's doable I'll let everyone know.
Thursday, April 09, 2009 10:32 AM
The GXP caliper/rotors fits the standard W-Body Knuckle, which has M14 bolt holes. The spacing is the same. So you can drill out the M12 bolt holes in a N-Body Knuckle and tap them for the larger bolts.

There's N-Bodies that have done a similar swap, before they found out the F-Body caliper is a direct bolt-on.

Keep in mind you're past the point of marginal returns for almost all applications. The F-Body caliper setup works extremely well. So unless you 're going for the look, it almost certainly isn't worth the extra effort.

Of course, it would be nice if you're badging you're ride as a GXP and it has matching calipers. Still more money, more effort, more tools; and all you get is the GXP badge and more endurance capacity provided by the larger rotor mass.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:59 PM
Thanks CTS I was figuring if the cost of the parts is the same or close and if the swap would work I'd rather have the bigger 13" brakes. But I can work with either as both are better than the stock 10" setup, and I already have the N-body 11" front spindle & brake setup on my car and they look tiny in my 18" wheels.
Friday, April 24, 2009 7:23 AM
both left and right camaro caliper bracket part numbers are the same 18026163. $98.57 each at the dealership or $71.76 + shippin through gmpartsdirect.com

didn't find this info in the thread so those who find used calipers but no brackets. good luck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, April 24, 2009 11:25 AM

Friday, April 24, 2009 8:54 AM
No, the part numbers are different, the bleeder is at a different end for left and right.
Part No - Side - List - GMPartsDirect.com
18042492 - Right - $259.86 - $135.14
18042491 - Left - $214.04 - $111.33

As for the brackets, I don't beleive they're listed on GMPartsDirect.

Friday, April 24, 2009 9:51 AM
C.T.S wrote:No, the part numbers are different, the bleeder is at a different end for left and right.
Part No - Side - List - GMPartsDirect.com
18042492 - Right - $259.86 - $135.14
18042491 - Left - $214.04 - $111.33

As for the brackets, I don't believe they're listed on GMPartsDirect.

well crap, my uncle looked at his work as he's the service parts manager and gave me that part number and said they were the same for both. that part number is listed on gmpartsdirect

GM PART # 18026163
CATEGORY: Wheel Brake Cylinder/Caliper
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $98.57
OUR PRICE: $71.76
DESCRIPTION: BRACKET

Friday, April 24, 2009 10:03 AM
Doh, we're talking about different things. You did find the bracket, it is the same on both sides.
You had said caliper before, and that's the part numbers I listed. Sorry!

Friday, April 24, 2009 11:27 AM
C.T.S wrote:Doh, we're talking about different things. You did find the bracket, it is the same on both sides.
You had said caliper before, and that's the part numbers I listed. Sorry!

haha. ah crap. you were correct based on my original post. i meant caliper bracket. good thing I could still edit. and ty you postin those parts numbers too.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 11:43 PM
I work for a Auto parts store and have been doing some research on this swap First off the Fbody and Wbody have the exact same front rotors so it probably should be a NF swap but that name sucks. The stock driver side grand am axle from a 2000 G AM w/ 2.4 5sp will bolt as a direct replacement for the 2000 J body swap with no modification however the passenger side for some reason is shorter then the Jbody. Also you can get Calipers off a Fbody newly remanufactured with the mounting bracket for 52.20 plus a 27.50 core from it's either Bendix or centric I can't remember what brand but Nevada brake in town carries them. I called them because when ever I needed calipers for the shop they came with the bracket so I had the girl check and sure enough they do. I believe it's Centric for those not living in vegas they have a few sites that sell the brand online and Centric calipers are usually rebuilt better then the OEM was to start. Nevada brakes number is 702-382-1020 just in case someone wants to call to find out what brand just check front for 98-2002 Fbody. Also I've heard of people chaning to a GRand AM lower ball jiont it's the exact same jiont G AM or Cavalier in the after market at least. And I believe the best Master swap will be a M3066 in Prostop number but that's just from visual I havn't test fit it yet and I can't tell you what car it's from I looked at every GM car master from 98-2004 to determine that looked like the best option and I had to order many of them from other states just to look and send them back. SSSSHHHH!!!! don't tell work that they wouldn't be happy .

This is just some hopefully useful info I've picked up doing research for my swap. GOOD TIP PEPBOYS DISCONTINUED ALL EBC AND HAWK PADS THEY ARE SELLING EBC STARTING AT $4.90 AND HAWK STARTING AT 24.50 DEPENDING ON THE APP BUT WHEN STOCK IS DEPLETED THAT'S IT SO IF YOU NEED PADS CALL AND SEE NOW I PICKED UP FRONT FBODY AND REAR NBODY HAWK FOR 48.27 AFTER TAX 3 SETS OF FRONT EBC'S FOR MY LIBERTY FOR 14.80 AFTER TAX BUT I DO GET A EMPLOYEE DISCOUNT ON TOP OF THAT.

Monday, March 01, 2010 6:58 AM
after a year or 2 of collecting parts, i'm finally in the club as of yesterday!

my carDomain updated 10/31/09 Forged and Supercharged

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 10:16 PM
i love the f-body brakes on my w-body!

WiGM-Tuners member.
Monday, April 26, 2010 5:56 PM
Alright, can i please get someone to look at my parts list and make sure i have everything listed here? I tried to make sure i wrote down everything i found then i went back and tried making it easily readable and actually be able to list pricing to it too lol. Figure if this is everything this can be used for others as well for what they need..for when everyone asks lol
Don't mind the prices just need to be sure i got everything listed on the left

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, April 26, 2010 7:09 PM

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 11:33 AM
The junkwayd parts seem a little high. PM me if you can't track them down cheaper. I have a good relationship with a yard that has a ton of late-90's-current GM FWD vehicles, including a large numer of N-bodies.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 1:20 PM
well like i said don't mind the prices. they are going off what i found online. I got a set of knuckles and control arms for cheaper then that list.

my main concern is.. is that everything? lol

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 5:39 AM
Looks complete to me. I don't remember needing anything that's not on that list.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:41 PM
thanks kind sir

Friday, July 09, 2010 5:52 PM
Read through this twice, just want to make sure I'm on the same page.

Have we confirmed that the N body axles work as is? 03 getrag 5 spd car.

Also, the Fbody rotors are the same correct? no reason to look for Wbody rotors?

** FOR SALE** http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=24&i=110879&t=110879
Saturday, July 10, 2010 7:16 AM
ExESIVEFIRE wrote:Read through this twice, just want to make sure I'm on the same page.

Have we confirmed that the N body axles work as is? 03 getrag 5 spd car.

Also, the Fbody rotors are the same correct? no reason to look for Wbody rotors?

yes. i'm runnin the n-body 2.4 motor 5 speed axles.
i'm runnin f-body rotors. but i ran into a problem w/ the caliper bracket bolt sticking out too far and rubbing on my rotor. not sure if the inner diameter of the fbody rotor is different or if i'm supposed to use the n-body bolts to mount the caliper bracket.

oh and for some reason the new firefox disables the box below the reply section so you can't post a reply

my carDomain updated 6/11/10 Forged and Supercharged

Saturday, July 10, 2010 7:53 AM
I ran modified J-body/N-body axles, but as said above, the N-body man trans ones work fine.

If I remember correctly, I ran the N-body spindle, F-body (same part number as the W-body) Rotor, and F-body Calipers. I believe the F-body caliper bolts were larger in diameter then the N-body, and that I had to drill out the holes in the spindle for them to fit through. I never had any issues with the bolts rubbing the rotors though.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Saturday, July 10, 2010 10:15 AM
The F-body caliper bolts are the same as the N-body, but the W-body bolts are larger, at least that's how all of the spindles I've seen are, and everyone else has been able to put the F-body calipers on without drilling out. They should be 12mm bolts, and the W-body are 14mm.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 6:23 PM
I know someone posted getting their axles from macautoparts.net and was curious how they are holding up. probably be the next piece i order.

Friday, September 03, 2010 9:15 AM
hey guys... just curious if anyone has done just the n-body front swap? im planning on using all n-body stuff so i can fit 15" rims on for racing purposes...

also, has anyone made their set-up 5X100? is it even possible? my cruising rims are only one bolt pattern so thats why i ask, id like to retain 5X100 for my swap.

thanks.

I feel like taking a tinkle on an ecNOtec...
Thursday, April 21, 2011 5:15 AM
z yaaaa wrote:hey guys... just curious if anyone has done just the n-body front swap? im planning on using all n-body stuff so i can fit 15" rims on for racing purposes...

also, has anyone made their set-up 5X100? is it even possible? my cruising rims are only one bolt pattern so thats why i ask, id like to retain 5X100 for my swap.

thanks.

I'm in the same boat, did anyone findout if you can get 5x100 hubs for the swap?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search