manual steering rack - Page 2 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: manual steering rack
Sunday, April 01, 2012 8:16 AM
Base model is 3 turns lock to lock, z24 is 2.5. My 2000 ohv came with the spoiler and sunroof, kind of like a sporty base model package, and I have the lower ratio steering, and z24 final drive in my trans. All depends on your options.

Sunday, April 01, 2012 4:57 PM
I thought I recently read on here somewhere that the older(95-97?) sunfires had the different ratio. I dont know, but I would think it just depends on the RPO. Does anyway know the steering rpo codes that pertain to the different ratios, since apparently you could get different setups like Dave's?
Sunday, April 01, 2012 5:19 PM
they have either a 3 or a 2.5 lock to lock as stated above cases i think are the same just some guts are different i know thing because i was looking into a rack for my car and the dealer asked what rack i had

JBO since July 30, 2001
Sunday, April 01, 2012 6:53 PM
Well, I think i'm going to go to the yard, find a 3 turn model, and make a manual rack as a test subject. yeah, in all my spare time......just figured while engine was out i'd throw rack in too.
Tuesday, April 03, 2012 4:00 PM
puttin on a bit larger steering wheel helps a little, too...

i know paul put a lumina z34 wheel in his car. still turns like a floppy donkey dick but its a little better at least....

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Friday, April 20, 2012 4:58 PM
What's the point of going manual writhe steering rack? Not trying to be a dick lol. I just don't understand it.

Friday, April 20, 2012 6:16 PM
Weight loss, parasitic loss from the power steering pump is gone
Monday, April 23, 2012 2:46 PM
Philly D wrote:Weight loss, parasitic loss from the power steering pump is gone

And the cons? Lol.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 10:07 AM
Bigger biceps.

The only real "con" I can think of would be that the car is a bitch to steer at slow speed. Another pro would be more road feedback, especially if you run U joints instead of rag joints.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search