a arm removal do you realy need to realign? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
a arm removal do you realy need to realign?
Tuesday, April 24, 2012 10:57 AM
if I install my Polly control arm mounts do I really have to realign my car? seams to me like it wouldn't mess with anything that bad? but instructions and my step dad say too?

Re: a arm removal do you realy need to realign?
Tuesday, April 24, 2012 11:17 AM
I would say,
Since there is not much play in the ball joint, that will line up ok.
Also the two frame connections, where the bushings are, should line up exactly.
Since you are not loosening the knuckle and strut bolts, you should be fine.

But as always, an alignment is recommended when messing with suspension components.
Tuesday, April 24, 2012 11:23 AM
Bobby Higgins wrote:I would say,
Since there is not much play in the ball joint, that will line up ok.
Also the two frame connections, where the bushings are, should line up exactly.
Since you are not loosening the knuckle and strut bolts, you should be fine.

But as always, an alignment is recommended when messing with suspension components.

that is what I was figuring my step dad was acting like id run through a set of tires in the matter of months,
only reason I ask is after I boost here soon im doing my new springs and struts and plan to align then.
Wednesday, April 25, 2012 5:16 PM
i have never done one after a conrtol arm unless you put a new ball joint on it. and in most cases with factory non slotted struts your alignment will be close enough even undoin a spindle if you have sloted struts then your fawked in that case

but you should be fine and no worries if it starts to pull get it aligned

JBO since July 30, 2001
Thursday, April 26, 2012 9:59 AM
if anything id say you restoring it to the correct alignment with the new bits
Monday, April 30, 2012 2:50 PM
1- You're replacing an old, worn out component with a new one, that is stiffer than the rubber you're pulling out ever was.
2- You may think you'll be able to keep the ball joint lined up, but you won't. Meaning, it will develop a new wear pattern in it's socket, and possibly change all three angles.

Why wouldn't you have an alignment done?

1 degree of toe is the equivalent of dragging the tire sideways something like 300 feet. Unless you want to be buying new tires, an alignment is cheaper.

Monday, April 30, 2012 3:05 PM
I agree an alignment costs about the same as replacing 1 tire, unless your planning on replacing struts within the next few months or your tires need replaced soon anyways
Tuesday, May 01, 2012 9:17 AM
James Cahill wrote:1- You're replacing an old, worn out component with a new one, that is stiffer than the rubber you're pulling out ever was.
2- You may think you'll be able to keep the ball joint lined up, but you won't. Meaning, it will develop a new wear pattern in it's socket, and possibly change all three angles.

Why wouldn't you have an alignment done?

1 degree of toe is the equivalent of dragging the tire sideways something like 300 feet. Unless you want to be buying new tires, an alignment is cheaper.

ya I decided to wait till I do my struts. just seams easyer and I dont have to take it apart 2 times, work smart not hard
Friday, May 04, 2012 7:49 AM
Chris Gatti wrote:
James Cahill wrote:I decided to wait till I do my struts. just seams easyer and I dont have to take it apart 2 times, work smart not hard
Good move. If you're planning on replacing more than one thing in your front end, wait and do it all at once, then get the alignment. Save time and money.

Friday, May 04, 2012 3:07 PM
Yep, get it aligned. The toe will be fine but replacing anything with control arms will toss the other angles off. Close enough is never good enough in my book when it comes to alignments. If you are replacing struts and stuff anyway just as others have said, just wait.

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search