Rear suspension troubles, Help plz - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rear suspension troubles, Help plz
Thursday, May 03, 2012 3:08 PM
Hey every1, the other day i was checking to tire pressure on my mistress, when i relized on the back drivers side tire had some small little slice's out of it, i checked the passenger side to see if it was doing the same and it wasnt. I then noticed that the weather stripping on the drivers side on the back door(4 DOOR) was exsposed and started to show the pinch weld. I then took some mesurements to see if both side to see if they both had the same mesurements. I then relized that the drivers side was actually off by a good little bit. As you can see in the pictures the driver side it has a different mesurement from the dirvers rear door to the tire. I was wondering if it maybe a bushing or what. but if any1 could help me it would be greatly thanked
DRIVER SIDE

PASSENGER SIDE

Re: Rear suspension troubles, Help plz
Thursday, May 03, 2012 6:00 PM
So, same rim, same tire, same measurements behind tire, but in front different measurements? So, one wheel well in more narrow?
Thursday, May 03, 2012 6:16 PM
yeah your measurements are way off, or the sheet metal on your car is messed up. there is not way for the front to back to be the same up front but different in the back.

Thursday, May 03, 2012 6:45 PM
They "look" the same in the picture, did you take measurements at the same spot on each side? Maybe take a measurement from the bottom of your side skirt to the bottom of the rear bumper, you could probably get a more accurate measurement.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Thursday, May 03, 2012 6:52 PM
Best thing to do is measure for the center or edge of the front rim to the rear rim on both sides as bumpers and side skirts could be warped or bent. If they are within a inch you are good. Also you can measure in a x pattern under the car, from the same spot on both sides and compare usually within an inch you are good. Most states require these measurements for inspection anyways to pass. If neither way is not the same measurement or close your car was in an accident and you have frame damage. Then you need a frame straightener.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Thursday, May 03, 2012 6:54 PM
Dave De Stefano wrote:So, same rim, same tire, same measurements behind tire, but in front different measurements? So, one wheel well in more narrow?

Yes same rims, and tires, and both wheel well's i've measured up and both the excite same

EvoFire (Wilwoods on all 4) wrote:yeah your measurements are way off, or the sheet metal on your car is messed up. there is not way for the front to back to be the same up front but different in the back.

i complete agree and i had my father help me with the meausrements

Rick wrote:They "look" the same in the picture, did you take measurements at the same spot on each side? Maybe take a measurement from the bottom of your side skirt to the bottom of the rear bumper, you could probably get a more accurate measurement.

Ya i measured from the same spot on both side, i double checked and triple checked, and as far as measureing from the bottom of the side skirt to the bottom of the bumper i honestly never did that i'll try that 2morow
Thursday, May 03, 2012 7:27 PM
Yeah try that and try what rob suggested to front to rear rim or something? Measuring to the tire is kind of hard because its more of a guess.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Thursday, May 03, 2012 8:46 PM
measure from the fender to the center of the wheel.

That would be the most full proof way of getting an accurate measurement.

how many miles are on the car?

Thursday, May 03, 2012 10:28 PM
Fenders are not a good idea as they are adjustable. Center of the wheels are better as they cannot be adjusted. Or measure for structural sections of the frame. You should measure from anything that can mover or be adjusted. Honestly I don't even see a problem with your car. You side skirt is probably warped or not aligned the same as the other side. That is one of the problems with plastic/ fiberglass/ rubber body panels. They bend and warp and twist.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Friday, May 04, 2012 3:08 AM
door could be misaligned

bumper could be misaligned

rear suspension could have 'tension' in it from being jacked up and lowered without releasing the e-brake inbetween shots.

is this literally the same wheel pictured on both sides? tire wear could factor in also.

Saturday, May 05, 2012 4:11 PM
So i did what most of you mentioned and i remeasured everything, went from the center of the wheel took a level to make sure i was straight, and went tto the edge of the door, and i only noticed about 1/2" inche difference between the two side, i measured up everything afterwards to double check and everything was the same but the driver side was out by 1/2"......and as far a miles go i'm not sure but there is 185650km's on my girl

thanks for all the help every1

Saturday, May 19, 2012 7:30 AM
get an alignment and have them report wheel set-back .
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search