Lowering Spring question - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Lowering Spring question
Sunday, May 06, 2012 7:33 AM
If i wanted to lower my car a Half Inch would the lowering springs fit onto the stock struts?

Straight lines are over-rated In My Opinion =]

Re: Lowering Spring question
Sunday, May 06, 2012 8:16 AM
None will. The dampening on the stock struts is not adequate for the higher spring rates of lowering springs.

Error: Sig not found.

Sunday, May 06, 2012 9:20 AM
They'll fit, but it shouldn't be done for safety reasons. I also don't think there are any coils that will drop you only 1/2in.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Sunday, May 06, 2012 10:44 AM
I think the smallest drop is 1.2" but either way, you will need lowering struts too, if you only want 1/2", you will need coilovers with custom springs.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Monday, May 07, 2012 5:12 PM
I think it was Z Yaaaa that told me Overkill engineering's solid mounts will lower it 1/2" I would ask somebody who actually has them to be sure. here the link.
http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/9603jbody1.html
Wednesday, May 09, 2012 9:31 AM
Thx guys, just was wondering if i should do it or not after i kit the car. hense why only a half inch.

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 9:59 PM
Well just doing the mounts as far as I know will lower it 1/2 inch. However if you want to lower it and have it look obviously lowered without slamming it then 1.2" is the lowest option you have.(Obviously if you do the mounts too it'll be closer to 1.7") http://www.stsuspensions-store.com/products.html This is the company that makes the 1.2" The next height drop is Eibach at 1.4" you should be able to find those here http://performance-suspension.eibach.com/cms/street_performance_application_look_up

If you change the springs, change the struts, or you'll end up with trashed struts, relatively quickly from the struts bottoming out, and you'll have to take it all apart a 2nd time and buy new struts anyways. These Tokicos are what has been most commonly recommended to me http://www.tokicoperformanceshocks.com/catalog.aspx?y=2004&mdt=Cavalier&md=57&mk=18&mkt=Chevrolet
Wednesday, May 09, 2012 10:01 PM
Cadillacin wrote:1.2" is the lowest option you have.

This should say '1.2" is the smallest option you have.'
Thursday, May 10, 2012 11:14 AM
You could get a set of custom springs made from these guys.

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Sunday, May 13, 2012 7:48 AM
Again thx for all the info guys, im mainly just debating whether or not i should try to get rid of the gap between my tire and fender after i Kit the cav. it was orginally my brothers and he lowered it before (real low) and ive driven it a few times, it was nice but nooo clearance lol.

Monday, May 14, 2012 8:56 AM
What suspension did he use to lower it?
You could go with the Eibach pro-kit and call it a day, it's not THAT much of a drop.

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 11:10 AM
its stock now, but he had it on Koni Reds with Eibach ground control springs or somthing like that, they were adjustable too. he had a 6 inch clearance on 18's lol. i have a pic of it on my site profile. its not a big pic tho sorry.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search