Standard R5 install issues - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Standard R5 install issues
Monday, May 07, 2012 2:28 PM
Today I was going to get the R5's installed on my sunfire. I work at a dealership so I figured I'd just get them installed there just to make life easier. 10 minutes in the shop and the service manager told me the install was a no go. He said the rears would be a straight forward install but the fronts they have no idea how to set them up without cutting and modifying the strut towers! As far as I have read on here all the STD installs have been straight forward, correct? Obviously nothing has been installed on my car yet, my dealer doesn't want anything to do with my coilovers anymore and I don't want them to hack up my car!

This is what i've got.

Re: Standard R5 install issues
Monday, May 07, 2012 3:01 PM
They look like they would go right in. Are you sure they had to top mount turned the right way? If not the holes wont line up. Even the bottom look like it bolts straight up.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Monday, May 07, 2012 3:21 PM
They had my car back together and on the ground before I was told they couldn't install them. So I never got to check out what direction they had the top mounts sitting at. That could be the problem though. It just seemed strange to me because the mechanic that specializes in suspension couldn't figure it out! As far as I was concerned, the front and rear should have been a simple install. It could be they just never have to deal with coilovers!

Monday, May 07, 2012 3:52 PM
Thats their way of saying that they dont want to install them. The mechanic probably got it and wasnt experienced with this kinda stuff and saif F it. So the manager had to make up an excuse. If you dont feel comfortable installing them, take them to a shop that has experience with aftermarket products like this and I garuntee that you will have no issues.

Monday, May 07, 2012 4:08 PM
gtpsunfire wrote:Thats their way of saying that they dont want to install them. The mechanic probably got it and wasnt experienced with this kinda stuff and saif F it. So the manager had to make up an excuse. If you dont feel comfortable installing them, take them to a shop that has experience with aftermarket products like this and I garuntee that you will have no issues.

This. Too much liability for them if anything goes wrong.

Monday, May 07, 2012 4:11 PM
Yeah those definitely look right. In my experience dealer mechanics are liars and lazy...unless its maintenance stuff or easy nickle and dime(should say $50 and $100) stuff that doesn't really need to be done for anther 30k they aren't interested. Their "explanation" does not surprise me at all.

Monday, May 07, 2012 7:04 PM
Zs Z wrote:Yeah those definitely look right. In my experience dealer mechanics are liars and lazy...unless its maintenance stuff or easy nickle and dime(should say $50 and $100) stuff that doesn't really need to be done for anther 30k they aren't interested. Their "explanation" does not surprise me at all.

We're not all that bad...
Monday, May 07, 2012 7:13 PM
yea ur gonna need an air filter, trans flush, license plate light, tire rotation, oh and i recommend a new engine, and your computer is inoperable.

bu..but i drove it in here for an oil change.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Monday, May 07, 2012 8:01 PM
if you work at dealership, ask to use their lift and do it yourself...

Monday, May 07, 2012 8:18 PM
Get a floor jack. a 10mm, like a 15, or an 18 and do it yourself in a few hours. super simple and easy to do. he is dumb. Just dont have the front adjuster in while you close the hood. They bolt right in super easy.

Maybe for the fronts also, you have to put all 4 hex screws in the inside 4 spots... thats probably why he was saying cut the strut tower because the screws wouldnt fit up in there. Its the adjustment in the top hat. You have to remove them from the outer 4 and put them on the innner 4. Maybe thats why.

Monday, May 07, 2012 9:31 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone! Yeah I was thinking they might have just said to hell with it! To me it looked straight forward, but they must have just wanted a way out. Oh well, it might be a good project to keep me busy on a saturday. Thanks for all the advice!

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 9:06 PM
Just get your front end aligned right after you do it, right after, or you may not have tires left after an hour of driving. Just a FYI.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search