lowering my '03 cavalier - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
lowering my '03 cavalier
Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:09 PM
I plan on lowering my 03 cav this year and have just a few questions to ask to those that have had experience with the different lowering kits available.
I will probably be using the eibach sportline springs, but cant decide on the struts/strut mounts/ swaybars
As far as the struts go im stuck between tokico hps and koni yellows, any feedback or advice on that would be great
is there anywhere i could buy them together as a kti?
ill more than likely replace the strut mounts while im at it, and was wondering if i should go ahead and do the swaybars aswell or if i could hold out on that
mainly now im working on finding out where im going to buy the products to get the best deal

like i said any feedback, response, or advice is appreciated, thanks!

Re: lowering my '03 cavalier
Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:27 PM
At least you plan on doing it right instead of going cheap like a lot of people.

TTR probably has everything that you'll need.
O.E.M. make solid (pillow ball) strut mounts, if you're interested in an upgrade.
I have a set of brand new sportline springs that I've been trying to get rid of.

I have never heard anything bad about either the Tokico or Koni struts.

As far as sway bars are concerned, I really have no idea. Check out the suspension FAQ that's stickied at the top.
I'm sure someone else will chime in and let you know.

BTW- Welcome to the ORG! You should take the time and fill out your profile, it'll let people know what you're running... making it easier to answer your questions.

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:42 PM
thanks man, how much are you wanting for those springs i might be interested, im in indiana btw
and will do for sure, i just found clubcav the other day then i saw this so i figured id try it
these forums are actually really helpful, its nice to actually to talk to people that are working with the same vehicles

but also as far as the strut mounts i checked out OEM ones and they were near 400 for all four..
you know of anything cheaper than that other than ebays $50-$60 ones, and are those good enough to use?
Friday, May 11, 2012 9:18 AM
You're going to have to pay to play. Cheap struts are exactly that.... cheap.
Ask yourself, would you rather do it cheap the first time and have to do it again, or do it right the first time and never have to worry about it?

My springs are in the classifieds section under suspension. Been there for a long time.

The forums aren't too bad, you just have to be cautions of what you ask. I'm actually surprised you haven't been flamed yet for your post.
Members will usually tell you to search before they give you ANY information at all.

Friday, May 11, 2012 11:21 AM
very true I definitely know what ya mean.. ive done some research but these are basically the first mods ive done to my car so i just want to make sure im going to do it right.
thanks again for the help
Friday, May 11, 2012 12:44 PM
I really like my Koni's had them for years, only down side is you need to be a bit mechanically inclined to install them. heres a link to the how to do it, Koni Install for J-body cars. only thing I would different from when I did it then to now, is that I have air tools to do a lot of things that I did by hand the first time. I've had both Eibach Pro-Kit and Tein S-tech springs, I liked both, the Tein has a smoother ride. I have Addco swap bars, and I really like them, 1" front and rear. remember to either keep the bars the same size or the front one larger, just makes your life easier in the long run. strut tower braces its hard to go wrong, although I prefer the GM bar from the verts myself because it also bolts to the fire wall and it tucks in to save a bit of room under the hood. good luck with whatever you go with, most of it boils down to personal taste as far as ride quality and what you can deal with.

Friday, May 11, 2012 5:33 PM
I have koni yellows. Don't buy them. My opinion, but they are a pain in the ass to install. I have eibach lowering springs and the sway bars, and regretfully koni yellows...
Friday, May 11, 2012 8:24 PM
What dont you like about the konis? And what would you suggest instead? Tokico or kyb ?
Also do you have the pro kit or sportlines, was jw
Friday, May 11, 2012 8:36 PM
The Koni's aren't a straight bolt in thing is all I can think of that turns people off. It wasn't nearly as hard as people were making it out to be when I was searching around to see what had to be done. There were a lot less choices then too. If your going with the sportlines you have to have something that will hold up, the KYB's are out in that case.

Friday, May 11, 2012 9:13 PM
Yeah I know the kyb gr2 wont hold up is it the same for the kyb agx?
I might go with tokico to save a bit of money too..
Saturday, May 12, 2012 3:59 AM
I got the red eibach. Don't remember the name of them. Like cinny said about the koni shocks, they're not straight bolt on, you have to do mods to the shock and strut housing. I know its more money, but I would go with full coilovers. I plan on swapping my konis for k&w's very soon.

Saturday, May 12, 2012 9:31 AM
What part of indiana are you from?
Saturday, May 12, 2012 10:47 AM
Thanks for the advice, looks like ill just wait til next year so I can save up and do it right
But im just south of indy
Monday, May 14, 2012 7:23 AM
I too have the Koni helpless and also the Koni springs the ride is great great on handling too I have the front and rear addco sway bars as well also have the ttr k brace that helps along with front and rear upper strut tower braces also gonna be doin the front polyurethane a ARM bushings and jeffies rear trailing arm bushings .... As for handling so far I could not ask for anything more it handles like its running on rails very easy to turn no bumpy ride and like every else says u get what u pay for I learned the hard way went cheap at first and the ride was crap.... But its better to save uo and get something worth while...
Wednesday, May 16, 2012 5:39 PM
thanks for the advice
im kinda leaning towards coilovers but school is putting a nice dent in my bank account
soo ill have it figured out by next year when i have some money saved up
how exactly do coilovers work do they take the place of the springs, and i still have to buy lowering struts?
Saturday, May 19, 2012 4:38 PM
Google it.

It's a strut and spring combo, usually adjustable with solid strut mounts... depending on what brand you go with.

Ground control "coilovers" is a a threaded sleave with a collar that needs to be paired up with a good set of lowering struts.
Tein, BC, B&G are a few of the companies that make true coilover kits for our cars.
Whatever you do, don't buy $50 no name brand coilover sleeves from ebay... they're crap.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with more information.

Saturday, May 19, 2012 10:04 PM
I bought ebay coilovers before finding out about jbody.org and combined them with gr2s , oh god my back still feels it, then went with prokit with agx's,still not happy, im thinking of going with the bc coilovers so i can get the height and adjustability i want

Modding my j since I found the org
Monday, May 21, 2012 8:11 AM
Yeah makes sense,.thx again
Alejandro did u get the eibach pro kit springs w/ a 1.4 drop?
Im thinking about those spring w the tokico hps, you can get on ebay for bout 630 as a set
Im just afraid it wont be low enough..
Monday, May 21, 2012 9:08 AM
That sig on mine is with eibach pro kit the sportlines are a bit lower but youll need tokiko blues or d specs caise agxs arent meant for that low a drop, now if you want lower than a two inch like azncav or some of the other stanced cavs you are deff gonna have to have coilovers

Monday, May 21, 2012 2:28 PM
with the mild drop the car looks like what it should have from the factory. most people won't think its a lowered until they see it parked next to a J that isn't and then you realize what a difference it makes.

Monday, May 21, 2012 8:15 PM
Yeah thats kinda what I figured.. Its my dd and im on a budget so ill probably go with a mild drop
My suspension needs upgraded asap, and since I got new wheels the wheel gap has go to go, if only 1.5"
Im looking to keep it plenty driveable so I dont have to worry about where I drive etc..
looks like im.gonna go with lowerin struts/springs just need to spend the $$$
Thanks again ill post when I do the install

Monday, May 21, 2012 8:17 PM
I found the Tein S-tech much more back friendly myself

Monday, May 21, 2012 8:23 PM
How much of a drop do they give?
I cant decide between a 1.4 - 1.6" all around or the eibach sportlines at 1.7/2.3
Monday, May 21, 2012 8:45 PM
Sportlines are an even drop, with the pro kit you have rake, the rear still has too muck wheel gap for my taste, i dont know if you can tell but with my seventeens i had to get a fatter tire to fill that gap

Monday, May 21, 2012 8:54 PM
That sounds right.. Seems like it needs lowered just a tad more in the rear
Ive got a wierd rattle/slight knocking sound that I cant pinpoint but im pretty sure its coming from the rear,
Something in the rear suspension that will go away once I upgrade Im hoping!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search