manual brakes. - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
manual brakes.
Friday, June 01, 2012 1:13 AM
With the turbo setup I have in mind the the brakes get in the way and i would have to run manual brakes off the booster. What's the difference between our brakes and manual brakes?

Re: manual brakes.
Friday, June 01, 2012 5:29 PM
I'm not sure how similar this will be in a J, but here is my experience with a different car.

I just finished a manual brake swap on my fox body. I pulled the brake pedal and measured the distance between the 2 sets of holes in the pedal box. I pressed out the stud in the pedal and drilled a hole that distance above the original and pressed the stud back in. This gives you a better pedal ratio, but you'll have a little more pedal travel. I also did some research on the internet and found that a master cylinder from an 84 4 banger Mustang has a 7/8" bore and would give me a higher fluid pressure.

Hopefully someone else who's done this can chime in and give you some specifics, but it should be the same principle. Higher rod ratio and a smaller mc bore and the brakes in my racecar are actually better than they were with the power booster.

You have received a forum warning:

Warning: Your signature is way over the 80k file size limit, please remove it.
Friday, June 01, 2012 6:57 PM
I'm also wondering about streetability of a manual setup. I've drove and gotten used too all kinds of brake pedal feels and pressure. So of that's the only problem then I'm good.
Friday, June 01, 2012 6:58 PM
96-Z.24 wrote:With the turbo setup I have in mind the the brakes get in the way and i would have to run manual brakes off the booster. What's the difference between our brakes and manual brakes?

Manual brakes off the booster? Manual brakes have no booster. Are you talking about just getting rid of ABS? If you're actually talking about manual brakes (no booster)- Troy summed it up pretty well. As long as you can at least maintain (if not increase) the pressure at the piston by changing MC bore and pedal ratio, manual brakes will give you the same effect as power brakes.

Friday, June 01, 2012 7:44 PM
Im not too familiar with brakes. I might not know what the parts are called. I just need to get rid of the monsterous thing with all the tubes running off the firewall.
Saturday, June 02, 2012 8:14 AM
The booster is the big canister type piece bolted to the firewall. The master cylinder is bolted to that and actually is what moves the fluid to the pistons.

Here is my car before:

And after:

Saturday, June 02, 2012 2:43 PM
Yea I need that whole thing booster and all... Gone.
Sunday, June 03, 2012 6:49 AM
Then you need to work out the pedal ratio and MC bore diameter like Troy said in order to at least maintain the same piston pressure at the calipers. You might need to drill a new hole in the pedal arm to do it.

Sunday, June 03, 2012 3:47 PM
Monday, June 04, 2012 7:37 AM
Bro if you don't even know what components are which, a manual brake swap might be beyond your skill level.

Monday, June 04, 2012 3:34 PM
I'm not gonna argue with that. I've never messed with brakes. I'm just going to rip it the abs system and get the wilwood master. Just to minimize the size. I'm going to leave the booster. And work around it

Monday, June 04, 2012 3:48 PM
oooooooooooooor get a cav MC that doesn't have abs....

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Tuesday, June 05, 2012 7:19 AM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:oooooooooooooor get a cav MC that doesn't have abs....

Didn't most 2nd gens and all 3rd gens have ABS?

I thought this was the reason for using the corsica mc's to ditch the ABS. Didn't know there was a non-ABS mc available from a J.

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 7:32 AM
J-bodies had a non-abs distribution block. I have one somewhere.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, June 05, 2012 10:19 AM
That must be a 2nd gen part then. IIRC all 3rd gens had ABS. Do you know which one it came from?

Im interested

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 10:34 AM
03+ abs became an option.

Want hub spacers rear disk brackets or trailing arm bushings? Shoot me a PM.

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 11:57 AM
Club Teh Jeffie wrote:03+ abs became an option.

03 cavalier if I remember correctly.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Tuesday, June 05, 2012 12:06 PM
Nice, know if it's the same bore size? Would the non-ABS corsica mc have a larger bore? Maybe I should dig some up and find out

I know what my next project is . Got rid of ABS long ago but still have the crap.

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 12:21 PM
Looks like this.
Marks Brothers setup.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, June 05, 2012 12:21 PM
Attachments
mandistblock.jpg (74k)

PRND321 Till I DIE
Tuesday, June 05, 2012 1:05 PM
What's the pros and cons of running a cav non abs MC to a willwood MC?
Tuesday, June 05, 2012 1:12 PM
more research being needed to get the proper bore size/pedal ratio for a universal MC as opposed to being a bolt on affair.

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 1:13 PM
There really aren't any pros and cons. They both do the same thing, the Wilwood just looks pretty. Also- the J MC bolts right up, the Wilwood might not.

You could also use an N or F body MC instead of trying to find a J non-ABS. They both bolt right up. The F body ports are on the pass side, N are on the driver side. Both are just a touch under 1" (like .9" IIRC). Although, that wouldn't be a great choice for manual brakes. If you wanted to get really crazy, you could swap in an H body MC and the TEVES ABS. I doubt the MC reservoir would fit under the hood though.

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 4:54 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:Looks like this.
Marks Brothers setup.

With this would i need to re-do the brake lines?
Tuesday, June 05, 2012 5:33 PM
I also should tell you that at least on my car, I had to get a plate and pushrod from a manual brake car to bolt the MC to. It only has 2 bolt holes, while the power booster has 4 studs that run through the firewall and pedal box.

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 5:43 PM
96-Z.24 wrote:
-MD- Enforcer wrote:Looks like this.
Marks Brothers setup.

With this would i need to re-do the brake lines?

ANY route you take away from stock, you're re-doing brake lines.

Troy (aka Sunfail) wrote:I also should tell you that at least on my car, I had to get a plate and pushrod from a manual brake car to bolt the MC to. It only has 2 bolt holes, while the power booster has 4 studs that run through the firewall and pedal box.

it MAY also not be a bad idea to put some bracing for the manual brakes as you may have to push a bit harder.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search