swapping rear axle from ls sport 4dr to 2001 BASE 2dr - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
swapping rear axle from ls sport 4dr to 2001 BASE 2dr
Tuesday, June 05, 2012 3:02 PM
Basically I want to do the swap so a can get the FE3 sway bar (addco rear bar down the road). In your guys opinion would it be worth the hassle to do the swap with my very limited knowledge, or just wait and install an aftermarket sway bar later and just run the FE3 front bar?
This will be my first time installing a sway bar front and rear is there anything i should be aware of before I start the install this friday? Like I said my experience is limited so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

If I do the swap can I use my current ABS wiring with the newer ls sport axle are the connectors any different? also I was thinking of having a shop install the E-brake cable. Can I just leave the E-brake cable on the donor car and have full use of the rear drums minus the E-brake for about 2 weeks?

Thanks for any input guys

Re: swapping rear axle from ls sport 4dr to 2001 BASE 2dr
Tuesday, June 05, 2012 3:03 PM
My cav is FE0 also
Tuesday, June 05, 2012 5:25 PM
Third gen Js never came with FE3.
And your title should be: "swapping rear axle from a 2001 BASE 2dr to a ls sport 4dr." Unless you're going backwards.
Go N-body IRS.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 7:03 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:Third gen Js never came with FE3.
And your title should be: "swapping rear axle from a 2001 BASE 2dr to a ls sport 4dr." Unless you're going backwards.
Go N-body IRS.

I think he meant swapping FROM a (scrapped wrecked, whatever) 4-door LSS INTO his 2001 base model. But then again I'm just nit-picking.

Anyways, swapping the rear axles is a matter of 4 bolts and ABS/brake cables. If you have it up in the air, it's literally a half hour job. If it were me, I would do it, and get Teh Jeffie! trailing arm bushings while you are at it.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Thursday, June 14, 2012 9:04 AM
Roofy wrote:

Anyways, swapping the rear axles is a matter of 4 bolts and ABS/brake cables. If you have it up in the air, it's literally a half hour job. If it were me, I would do it, and get Teh Jeffie! trailing arm bushings while you are at it.

Yep, that is what i did. Base model rear to a Z/24 rear with the stiffening bar plus a Progress 22mm rear "sway bar". Getting the old bushings out was the hardest part and Jeffie's bushings slid in easily.

Error: Sig not found.

Friday, June 15, 2012 6:16 PM
I forgot to mention that the rear stabilizer / sway bar size on the Js consist like this, per GM.
FE2:
Cavalier 95-96 14mm
Cavalier 97-02 18mm
Cavalier 03-05 19mm
Sunfire 95-05 18mm

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Saturday, June 16, 2012 1:28 AM
well somebody snagged the brakes off the axle so I'm guessing that I can just unbolt my brakes secure them and install the new(ish) axle then bolt on my brakes.
I want to avoid the hassle of bleeding my breaks and messing with the E-brake cable.
Saturday, June 16, 2012 1:47 AM
Go to harbor freight and buy a vacuum bleeder that hooks up to an air compressor. I use the thing all the time costs $30. You could also use a mighty-vac they are $40. Its a hand pump takes longer then the compressor one. E brakes are easy. You may be able to just unbolt your whole hub and brakes and just transfer them to the new hub without taking everything apart. Never had mine off so I am not sure.

http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-fluid-bleeder-92924.html
compressor bake bleeder

http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-bleeder-and-vacuum-pump-kit-69328.html
Cheap handheld bleeder

http://www.harborfreight.com/one-man-brake-bleeder-kit-37201.html
$5.00 cheap person bleeder

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search