'98 Z24 suspension / ball joint repair - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
'98 Z24 suspension / ball joint repair
Wednesday, June 20, 2012 6:20 PM
Hi Guys

Couple of questions for you. I have a 98 Z24 with 196k. I have never done any suspension work to the car. It is in need of ball joints so I figured I'd go ahead and replace the struts and strut mounts while I'm at it. Do you think I should replace the control arm bushings also?? If I do should I go with an OEM replacement like a MOOG unit or with the prothane units?? Also are these a press fit??

Thanks
Bob

Re: '98 Z24 suspension / ball joint repair
Wednesday, June 20, 2012 6:28 PM
i would get monroe quick struts, come complete with struts springs and mounts, and then i would buy the entire control arm, would be complete with all bushings and ball joints.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 6:33 PM
I don't know if MOOG is the best way to go for ball joints. The ones used in Chrysler and jeeps are know to fall apart while driving. I just got my inspection license a couple months ago and the place where I got it was showing all these recalls and pictures of the just falling apart. Chrysler and Jeep had to do a huge recall on their 2012 vehicles before they were sold because of the ball joint problem. I do not know if this is for all their ball joints or just the ones used on those vehicles. Just wanted to let you know what I learned. I think the company switch manufactures. I would look into them more before buying.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Wednesday, June 20, 2012 7:11 PM
EvoFire (Wilwoods on all 4) wrote:i would get monroe quick struts, come complete with struts springs and mounts, and then i would buy the entire control arm, would be complete with all bushings and ball joints.

I was thinking about going with the entire control arm. So I take it you recommend replacing the bushing (arms)
Sunday, June 24, 2012 6:43 PM
If you are going to do ball joints it would be best to do the bushings as well. Most likeky they are shot and in need of replacement.t anyways.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Monday, June 25, 2012 1:05 AM
Get the moog balljoints its worth it. and i would use poly control arm bushings and if you have a welder i would seam wels the control arms.

see ya!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search