Gauging interest: Manual sttering racks - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Gauging interest: Manual sttering racks
Monday, June 25, 2012 12:03 PM
I have had a lot of requests wanting a manual rack. Rob Weatherall did mine for me. After some discussion this weekend, he has given the green light since mine is working out so well. I have done approximately 8000km on mine and so far, all is fine.
Rob is thinking about pricing, but we are thinking about the $200 range, there will be a core charge on it.
So this is basically for any questions, concerns, or interest that there might be. We will do our best to answer anything that you might want to ask.

Re: Gauging interest: Manual sttering racks
Monday, June 25, 2012 5:13 PM
sold...for 200 bones plus a core...im good

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Monday, June 25, 2012 7:24 PM
I'm wanting one, but it'll be a few weeks before I have the money/time to pull a rack.

Monday, June 25, 2012 8:18 PM
Well thats cool. We still need to go to the wreckers to pick up more racks anyways. Even if you guys want to send yours in and Rob can modify that one and send it back, you can do it that way. But if you dont want too much down time, he can do one, send it to you and he can refund the core charge when you replace it and send the original one back.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 12:33 AM
I'm still on the fence with doing this, If someone in the chicagoland area ends up doing this and They'd let me check I out in person I might be down for one. Till then keep up the good work and fabbing parts.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 2:43 AM
I personally love it. Granted, parking lot manouvers sometimes make me wanna punch babies, but I've gotten used to it. The feel you get from the road when driving is second to none.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 3:23 AM
I'm very interested. What racks are you pulling since some are different ratios?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, June 26, 2012 4:05 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote: What racks are you pulling since some are different ratios?

im curious about this bc i have a 03 LSsport

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 4:40 AM
I need to drive one before I decide, never driven a non power steering car. Plus, is this tough to drive with a high hp car?

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, June 26, 2012 5:22 AM
David, instead of paying for a plane ticket, pay for my gas and I will drive there to help out, then you can see how it feels. lol

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 6:19 AM
WHITECAVY wrote:I need to drive one before I decide, never driven a non power steering car. Plus, is this tough to drive with a high hp car?

You wont buy it i you only drive it for a few minutes. It takes a good solid couple hours of driving to get use to it. I agree its 100x better for a non DD car.

Mark

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 6:31 AM
I drive mine everywhere, daily. Put on a good 100km a day and love it.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 8:46 AM
What are the pros and cons of this setup?? Parallel parking is going to be a *itch

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Tuesday, June 26, 2012 9:44 AM
gtpsunfire wrote:I personally love it. Granted, parking lot manouvers sometimes make me wanna punch babies, but I've gotten used to it. The feel you get from the road when driving is second to none.

I have to agree, I love the feel and I have gotten used to it. I looped the line on my Z on purpose and hated it at first but now the car is fun to drive. Also the rack on my DD vert has a massive leak and wont hold pressurized fluid, So I have been driving that with the pump still installed and i think seized and it makes the looped setup delightful. I can imagine that one re-engineered to be manual on purpose would be great.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 10:03 AM
Blwn LD9 wrote:What are the pros and cons of this setup?? Parallel parking is going to be a *itch

Saturn (SL) used to have manual steering. And I remember them all very well.
The only pro I see is; less weight up front and no parasitic loss of engine power.
Cons would be more effort at stationary speed. But as soon as you get that front wheel to roll, the steering wheel heft will feel like any other power steering unit.
Now, you can make the steering lighter in feel when the car is stopped by changing the tires, I remember changing from the Firestones to a set of Michelins and it made the steering feel like it had power steering. Obviously, the narrower tire, the less effort you will need to move the steering wheel.
Now, you can make steering feel light by having a higher numerical steering ratio, but the steering will be slower reacting. Lower the steering ratio and the effort will increase, but will be quicker reacting.
For comparison purpose
Saturn's manual racks ranged at the time had 17.1:1 - 19.1:1.
Our J's FE0,FE1: 14.7:1; FE2: 15.7:1.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 10:21 AM
I will say that switching from the dry rotten BFG KDW's to continental contiextremecontact dws's made a giant difference in steering effort.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 12:13 PM
gtpsunfire wrote:I drive mine everywhere, daily. Put on a good 100km a day and love it.

I didnt say that you couldnt run it as a daily lol. I dont care what anyone says driving a car with power steering is much easier hands down. Thats all I was saying.

I hope you sell a ton.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 12:50 PM
Easier? Absolutely.
More fun? I dont think so. lol
But thats just my opinion. I didnt really like it at the beginning, now I love it.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:10 PM
gtpsunfire wrote:Easier? Absolutely.
More fun? I dont think so. lol
But thats just my opinion. I didnt really like it at the beginning, now I love it.

Exactly what I was saying. If people think that test driving a car for a few minutes, then make a decision as to buying your unit isnt really that fair. Going from PS to Manual steering definitely takes some getting use to, especially for use on a DD. Wasnt knockin ur product at all.

Mark

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:27 PM
I know you werent, its all cool.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 10:47 PM
How are you doing it? I'm just curious and if you don't want to give away secrets in the thread, feel free to PM me.

I will say that a non PS car is much more fun to drive, and does take getting used to.

Do 3rd gens have a rag joint right at the rack? You might look into getting a full on universal joint to replace it. Road feel increases 200%.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 2:46 AM
Oh, we definitely arent hiding anything. I encourage people to try it themselves. We loosely used the write up on flyingmiata.com. I mean the basic write up applies, but it was very different to the miata one. The shaft wasnt as easy to remove, we had to drill a small hole just to get a snap ring out so we could remove it. If somebody has the know-how and the guts to take apart their rack, it can be done in a few hours.

Friday, June 29, 2012 7:18 PM
Ah. Cool. That's how I did mine. I wondered how the 3rd gen racks would work with that.

Friday, June 29, 2012 7:58 PM
^^As far as I remember we do not have a rag joint but a universal joint.
Sunday, July 01, 2012 5:12 AM
Like I told ya before Darren, I am in!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search