We cannot adjust your camber... - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
We cannot adjust your camber...
Wednesday, June 27, 2012 6:07 PM
A local shop was able to adjust my toe on my 2005 sunfire but not my camber. They say I need camber bolts in order to make changes. Do I just need to take it to a better alignment shop or perhaps the dealer or do I need to get camber bolts? I have -1.6 on my front right tire... I tried searching around but could not find what I needed to know. Thank you for your help.

Re: We cannot adjust your camber...
Wednesday, June 27, 2012 6:19 PM
Find a better alignment shop...

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 6:23 PM
I have camber bolts on mine. I have put them on all my cars except my 89 z24 and my 2000 z24. Both had them when I bout them. They are like $3 from autozone. It is half a bolt with a plastic sleeve.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Wednesday, June 27, 2012 6:39 PM
You do not need camber bolts, but they're cheap enough. The struts should be slotted to allow the adjustment. The bolts just make it a little easier. If your struts aren't slotted, they can easily be slotted. The top hole where they bolt to the knuckle is the only one that needs to be slotted if yours aren't.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 6:49 PM
my stock struts weren't slotted, so without camber bolts the camber couldn't have been adjusted.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Wednesday, June 27, 2012 9:31 PM
I would look to see if somthing is bent . what is the reading on the other side ?
Wednesday, June 27, 2012 10:43 PM
The actual factory recommended procedure for adjusting camber is to slot the strut hole. Camber bolts are the cheap and easy way out of doing it properly. Go to a different shop.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 5:11 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but even with the camber bolts, you still need the slots. The bolts are merely a way of keying the adjustment.

Friday, June 29, 2012 7:19 PM
Not with the bolts I've seen. The slot would just allow more adjustment past what the cam bolt can do.

Friday, June 29, 2012 9:32 PM
the cam bolts i bought specifically said NOT to use them if the struts were slotted

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Friday, June 29, 2012 10:04 PM
I lI've camber bolts. I use to laser Aline my car. Camber bolts help get it exact. Make it take 10mins instead of an hour. The bolt can be used in any strut. Does not matter if it is slotted or not. A bolt is a bolt. It is a bolt with an oval sleeve you turn to adjust, no pounding or prying.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.

Monday, July 02, 2012 2:57 PM
Rob Dotterer wrote:Make it take 10mins instead of an hour.

Which is exactly why I said-

James Cahill wrote:Camber bolts are the cheap and easy way out of doing it properly.

Of course most flat rate shops are going to want to use bolts instead of doing it the right way, which takes time. Considering most places have fixed price alignments, they would be losing money if they actually took the time to do it properly. A good shop can get camber within .05 deg using nothing but slots. I've seen it done before, and I've done it before. No big deal, it just takes time.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search