CV axlesMaking noises still after $$ - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
CV axlesMaking noises still after $$
Monday, June 04, 2012 3:35 PM
Hi all,1st post
(not sure which forum to put this in)

Ok so i have a 2002 vlx cavalier, a month ago it starting making noises
while making LEFT handed turns(under acceleration).
It sounded like it was on the right side, so i changed that axle & hub bearing assembly&brakes pads.
It Still made the same symptoms of a worn-out-like Cv noise so i went and did all the left side to..
It is still making the same noise as though i did nothing to it after the $350.
Would rack&pinnion be the next best guess?
Thx!

Re: CV axlesMaking noises still after $$
Monday, June 04, 2012 3:47 PM
if while turning the wheel, look to the rack.

if while the wheel is stationary (either turned or straight, differential.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Monday, June 04, 2012 4:46 PM
Motor mount
Monday, June 04, 2012 5:23 PM
Good lord noone knows how to ask questions anymore do they?

Maybe it would help if you could describe the noises...

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Monday, June 04, 2012 6:44 PM
When turning hard left, a noise in the right, only on acceleration. Upper engine mount. There's a bulliten.
Monday, June 04, 2012 7:39 PM
Upper mount and or wheel bearing.

see ya!

Monday, June 04, 2012 9:04 PM
Alex Richards wrote:Good lord noone knows how to ask questions anymore do they?

Maybe it would help if you could describe the noises...

It's like a "wrr",with a slight grind and groanings,once wheel straightens out problem never returns until another left turn... I can feel the wrr shutter v-e-r-y slightly through the steering wheel..i really don't think it's a motor mount,it has got to be in the area
of the cv axle(s),though it does seem quite centralized like an inner cv problem,but again that's all new now..
Would rack&penut system do such a thing?
Tuesday, June 05, 2012 1:35 PM
Can someone give me some "search"words to use for 'Rack&Pinnion'
Nothing shows up on the search page,before i posted my 1st original question, i DID spend about 4hrs
going through all pages for something similiar as my problem..so go easy if you think i'm just being lazy.
Tuesday, June 05, 2012 4:11 PM
Bear ish wrote:Can someone give me some "search"words to use for 'Rack&Pinnion'
Nothing shows up on the search page,before i posted my 1st original question, i DID spend about 4hrs
going through all pages for something similiar as my problem..so go easy if you think i'm just being lazy.

I'm not really a fan of the search buttons efficiency...ill find the bulliten for you later tonight
Tuesday, June 05, 2012 10:38 PM
[quote=Dave De Stefano
ill find the bulliten for you later tonight

Excellent and Thanks!
Tuesday, June 05, 2012 10:40 PM
I should also point out it is under LIGHT throttle when it makes it's 'wrr' sound while turning left,i am not into bagging my autos!

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 2:44 PM
File In Section: 06 - Engine/Propulsion System

Bulletin No.: 00-06-01-018A

Date: July, 2001

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Growl/Moan Noise During Sharp Left Turn
(Modify Engine Mount Stamping)
Models:
2000-2001 Chevrolet Cavalier
2000-2001 Pontiac Sunfire
With 2.2 L Engine (VIN 4 - RPO LN2)
This bulletin is being revised to add the 2001 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-06-01-018 (Section 06-Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a growl/moan type noise coming from the front of the vehicle on heavy acceleration when making a sharp left hand turn.

Cause

The cast arm of the engine mount may contact the outer stamped cage of the mount assembly.

Correction

Following the service procedure below, trim the stamped cage of the mount assembly of the area highlighted in the illustration

1. Remove the bolt securing the coolant recovery bottle and position the bottle to gain access to the engine mount attachment.
2. Install the J 28467-360, Engine Support Fixture.
3. Remove the A/C line from the clip secured to the engine mount assembly.
4. Remove the nuts securing the engine mount to the body.
5. Remove the bolts securing the mount to the engine bracket.
6. Remove the engine mount assembly from the vehicle.

7. Cut out the template (1) and position on the engine mount assembly. Identify the area that is to be removed from the mount to provide additional clearance.
8. Grind and/or file away material until the mount conforms to configuration of the template.
9. Touch up the exposed bare metal edge of the trimmed mount surface.
Refer to your 2001 GM Approved Refinish Materials Booklet, GM 40901 M-D-2001 for specific material recommendations and refer to your paint manufacturer for specific application information.

10. Install the engine mount assembly. Hand start the attaching bolts and nuts.
11. Install the bolts securing the mount to the engine bracket.
Tighten

Tighten the bolts to 60 N.m (44 lb ft) + 90°.

12. Install the nuts securing the mount to the body.
Tighten

Tighten the nuts to 75 N.m (55 lb ft).

13. Install the A/C line into the clip secured to the engine mount assembly.
14. Remove the J 28467-360, Engine Support Fixture.
15. Position the coolant recovery bottle and secure to the body with the attaching bolt.
Tighten

Tighten the bolt to 10 N.m (89 lb in).

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the table.

Disclaimer
Wednesday, June 06, 2012 2:45 PM
its not showing the pictures...any help on how to do this?
Wednesday, June 06, 2012 3:19 PM

--------------------------
NCR-SCCA
Wednesday, June 06, 2012 3:20 PM

--------------------------
NCR-SCCA
Wednesday, June 06, 2012 3:20 PM
There is a template for step 6 that didn't copy over
Friday, June 08, 2012 8:35 AM
Thanks for that Dave!! It is most informative info,but that write is beyond my capabilities,pics for theose procedures might make it easier to comprehend what that goal is,but with text only it sounds quite complex a remedy.
.I'm still thinking it is a Rack&pinnion issue,would a worn out R&Pin do this light acceleration shutter/vibration thing?
Friday, June 08, 2012 10:00 AM
Another way to stop the noise from the bulliten is use the rk upper mount insert. The mount moves too much, and rubs, and the noise is from the mount grounding out on the inner piece of the mount if that makes sense
Tuesday, July 03, 2012 9:39 PM
I am experiencing somewhat of the same problem with my 2001 sedan 2200 4t40e. Except, while driving straight and when making RIGHT turns, i hear the same type of noise. As soon as the wheel is turned to the left, the noise goes away and then returns when the steering wheel goes back. I changed both wheel bearings, and pads and rotors. The axles are dry, and show no signs of being worn. I have a poly insert in the upper mount and a prothane lower. Is this a common problem?

XtremE2200CaV: The Build has Begun
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3864109/2001-chevrolet-cavalier-sedan-4d
Wednesday, July 04, 2012 6:43 AM
Vinny wrote:I am experiencing somewhat of the same problem with my 2001 sedan 2200 4t40e. Except, while driving straight and when making RIGHT turns, i hear the same type of noise. As soon as the wheel is turned to the left, the noise goes away and then returns when the steering wheel goes back. I changed both wheel bearings, and pads and rotors. The axles are dry, and show no signs of being worn. I have a poly insert in the upper mount and a prothane lower. Is this a common problem?

I have the same noise out of my auto z24. I know the culprit in my case...just been to lazy to fix it. My trans mount is worn, causing the trans to ground out on the unibody, so I hear all the noise from inside the trans amplified through the body. I'm putting another stock unit in, but if you're interested, I have for sale a ttr solid trans mount brand new. Pm me if you're interested.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search