sunfire big brakes, toyota tacoma + audi A6 swap - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
sunfire big brakes, toyota tacoma + audi A6 swap
Monday, July 16, 2012 2:36 PM
Hi i recent make the swap of toyota tacomo or hilux 4 piston calipers an audi A6 discs, here how does i do it

First i get the calipers from a toyota caliper accidented

Then i get some hub, bearing and knuckle used from a j- body to make tests of space and tolerances

The discs i buy it brand new brembo

Here is the comparation with the oem one

The OEM is 10 inches diameter, the audi is 12.60 more or less, the bolt pattern of the audi is 5-114 and the OEM is 5-100 so you have to over size to fit, it doesnīt matter if it becomes oval the disc is gona be centered by using a adapter, the thiknes of the audi ones is also more biger

The center adapter is inside from the j-body rotor and out side from the audi disc to have an exact fit and center balance, this can be made or machined in steel or SS, aluminum is not recomende becouse with heat this can be deformed or change the size

After inspect and check sizes and spaces you will notice that the bolt patern of the caliper is smaller tht the holes of the knuckle so is necesary to well the calipers to give more surface

Once is welded you have to re- drill to match into knuckle holes

The brake guides have to be cutted to let space of the over sized disc

Also you have to make new tread in the holes to let us use standar screws

The toyota discs are more thin that the audi ones so you have to machine de caliper to let tolerance with the audi disc

Once you do all this jobs you can begin to chec distances, tolerances, etc

Cleaned and polished prepare to coating

The discs cross driled and coated also with hi tem paint

THE INSTALATION

In this pic you can notice i use new hoses thats becouse the toyota caliper have a diferent cople, andalso use wheel spacer, thats toclear the rim, depending the wheel you use you may need spacers and more long lugs

Important recomendations, to weld the calipers use tig or mig welder, this brakes fits well in 17 or biger whells, chec tolerances, any question please ask me i be glad to answer, hope this tutorial help

Re: sunfire big brakes, toyota tacoma + audi A6 swap
Monday, July 16, 2012 2:49 PM
sorry about my spelling, i want to edit but i didnīt find the edit button, also i said hello from mexico city
Monday, July 16, 2012 3:25 PM
This seems nice but I posted how to put 4 piston calipers from a 2010 camaro ss/ctsv/zo6 with 15in rotors. It doesn't require much work. Just swap ends of cv axles and swap a spindle and it bolts on.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Monday, July 16, 2012 3:34 PM
Rob Dotterer wrote:This seems nice but I posted how to put 4 piston calipers from a 2010 camaro ss/ctsv/zo6 with 15in rotors. It doesn't require much work. Just swap ends of cv axles and swap a spindle and it bolts on.

cool, this an other option
Monday, July 16, 2012 3:52 PM
Rob with the car scene in Mexico they use what they have at their disposal and make things work, it's crazy. I saw a documentary about the car scene in Latin America and it was interesting to see how people mod'd parts off other cars to fit their own car. Muy Bueno! Me likey, great work man.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 5:19 PM
Very original, I like the fact that it doesn't seem you have cut any corners and that it is safe to run everyday.
Tuesday, July 17, 2012 5:49 PM
nice job, makin it work

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Tuesday, July 17, 2012 6:33 PM
those came out very nice, looks aftermarket!
Tuesday, July 17, 2012 6:45 PM
Nice idea. The only issue I have is welding extra material onto a cast caliper and then drilling right through it. Probably not the strongest method, but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 7:11 AM
James Cahill wrote:Nice idea. The only issue I have is welding extra material onto a cast caliper and then drilling right through it. Probably not the strongest method, but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

Exactly. You should have made an adapter. I can see that breaking really easily. Also it looks like you are only getting 50-60% of contact on the pad.

Looks cool, just not the safest thing IMO

Mark

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Wednesday, July 18, 2012 7:22 AM
Nice job!

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ

Friday, July 20, 2012 12:47 PM
FERNANDO Avila wrote:sorry about my spelling, i want to edit but i didnīt find the edit button, also i said hello from mexico city

Good job Fernando!
dennis
Monday, July 23, 2012 8:19 PM
James Cahill wrote:Nice idea. The only issue I have is welding extra material onto a cast caliper and then drilling right through it. Probably not the strongest method, but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

is safe because it was welded with the same material cast using tig welder, thanks for the comment
Monday, July 23, 2012 8:23 PM
OverKill All The Way!!!!! wrote:

Exactly. You should have made an adapter. I can see that breaking really easily. Also it looks like you are only getting 50-60% of contact on the pad.

Looks cool, just not the safest thing IMO

Mark

Thanks, well yes, i try to make an adapter, but theres not space any were, about the contact its true is mising a little sapce, but still braking great
Monday, July 23, 2012 8:27 PM
Thanks everybody for there comments.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search