Re-Packing rear hub/bearing? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re-Packing rear hub/bearing?
Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:00 PM
Is it hard, or has anyone done it?

Since the koni yellows went on, all I hear now is my rumbling rear wheels. Couldn't hear em before, but with 95k on the clock I was waiting for something in the rear to give out.

New Timkens are $90+, and I don't have that kind of money right now. I was hoping someone could shed some light on the procedure to press in a new bearing without replacing the hub. Do have access to a 4 ton press.

I roll on steelies. Work-in-progress daily-sleeper potential.
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/engine/60493/

Re: Re-Packing rear hub/bearing?
Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:26 PM
our wheel bearings arent servicable. front or rear.

hit up the junkyard.

jack up the rear and see if you can get the wheel to move, back and forth or what not, if it doesnt move its not the wheel bearing.
Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:28 PM
as far as I know they are sealed bearings

Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:33 PM
They are not meant to be taken apart, they are replaced as a whole. $180 you must spend, well you can probably get away with doing just the bad side, if it's only one.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Thursday, September 13, 2012 7:33 PM
Try rock auto with a good coupon code and you can usually get a good deal. Also you should do both sides at once if you can swing it. Keeps things even.
Monday, September 17, 2012 5:45 AM
just get some low mileage junk yard units. im surprised you had the rears go bad, ive yet to see one of my j-body's have a rear fail. now the fronts? good god junk.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Tuesday, September 18, 2012 6:28 PM
The rear hasn't failed. I'm still driving the car daily, and even took it up to autocross over the weekend. The stiffer suspension is exaggerating the very slight rumble that I never noticed from the rear before.

I was told to get the back off the ground, spin the wheel and feel for vibration in the coil spring. I did, and the driver side vibrates more than the passenger, it's not bad but they're on their way to dead.

I roll on steelies. Work-in-progress daily-sleeper potential.
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/engine/60493/
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search