Modding the suspension for more travel.... - Page 2 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Modding the suspension for more travel....
Saturday, September 15, 2012 8:34 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:$1200 for a good suspension?

Since when did Koni's cost that?

Dpsec's might be a name brand, but for your setup that are not the best.

Also if you lower the mounting point the strut will still compress in until the spring takes enough weight/load off, which will still be the same point it is stock.

why are they not the best setup for what i have? please explain.

and ok guys, i see what you are saying. what about putting spring perch that raises where the bottom of the spring locates on the strut perch? that will let the spring stay in the same spot but the strut would move down allowing the rod to become more exposed.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.

Sunday, September 16, 2012 5:00 AM
So your talking about moving the spring perch up while lowering the strut mounting point.

Yes..that would work..... but ..

I think your overthinking this. With a small drop such as a drop spring I cannot see any reason why you would want to go through that much trouble. If you were bottoming out the strut then it would be worth it but your making things alot harder then they have to be.
Sunday, September 16, 2012 7:21 AM
like i said, im sick of the ride. and like i said im sure some of it has to do with these @!#$ty tenzo springs... but the dspecs are a great strut. i cant for the life of me fathom as to why john thinks they dont belong on a j-body.

and idk i was just thinking of eyebrow and can do it, why cant everyone? id really love to drive a lowered j-body that rides like stock. always have.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Sunday, September 16, 2012 8:10 AM
From my reading Road magnets and the Prokit both ride quite well.

I would put money on alot of the reason it rides bad is the springs.
Sunday, September 16, 2012 8:52 AM
ive had yellows on sportlines, it still wasnt the ride i was looking for lol

Monday, September 17, 2012 4:22 PM
3rd gen Eclipse inserts are (IIRC) .75" shorter and have 1.2" more total travel than a 3rd gen J insert. They have built in bumpstops and will fit perfectly fine in a 3rd gen J body strut tube (the tube just needs to be cut down that additional .75"). I can't remember if the shaft will fit a 3rd gen J upper mount (or any of the aftermarket pillowball ones), but simply using a 3rd gen Eclipse upper mount will get around that. I originally had 3rd gen J body inserts and kept bottoming them out, so I switched to the Eclipse inserts and I've been running them for a few years now with 3rd gen J body GC hardware. They work great, and at ride height are just about mid travel. None of this matters if you aren't using coilovers though.

Monday, September 17, 2012 4:53 PM
^^Thats good info for us on coilovers though.

It will allow us to lower the car more and keep it in the mid area of the strut travel.
Monday, September 17, 2012 6:24 PM
I currently have KYB AGX's and Pro-Kit and my struts are set to fully stiff and they still bottom out. I fully believe this would help but in the mean time does anyone know of a spring with a higher load capacity?

gilligan
Tuesday, September 18, 2012 5:53 AM

3rd gen J on left, 3rd gen Eclipse on right.

The Eclipse shaft is also shorter, but only because it travels all the way to the threaded portion, whereas the J shaft only travels to about 1" away. I dug up the measurements I took years ago-

Quote:

They're 15mm shorter and have 25mm more compression travel. The only other difference is that the adjustment "pin" is 10mm, not 12mm like the 3rd gen insert, so you would need to run a bushing or something with your stock upper strut mount, or swap to Eclipse parts.

I can't find a measurement for the shaft diameter, but I'm running Eclipse upper perches I had machined to fit the J bearings into. They are a bit softer in overall valving than the J inserts (info direct from Koni).

Saturday, September 22, 2012 8:42 PM
Quote:

to why john thinks they dont belong on a j-body.

I never said that.

I said might not be the best for your setup.

FU Tuning

Saturday, September 22, 2012 9:06 PM
there was no might in that sentence lol. you claimed they were not right for my setup. id like an explanation as to why....

Sunday, September 23, 2012 7:18 AM
reaise your struct perches brad, same way i did my air struts, as for sectioning the strut towers, thats in the works for the winter
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search