improprtly lowered cars - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
improprtly lowered cars
Saturday, October 13, 2012 7:06 PM
My buddy just cut the springs on his car, I'm trying to tell him it makes the cars handling worse, bit he doesn't believe me that it does. Please I need people to explain why, and post pictures of the crashes if any one has pictures.

Re: improprtly lowered cars
Saturday, October 13, 2012 8:34 PM


/thread .




Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 6th quickest Ecotec on the .org -12.453 @ 116.45 MPH!!!

Re: improprtly lowered cars
Saturday, October 13, 2012 8:36 PM
Thank you
Re: improprtly lowered cars
Saturday, October 13, 2012 11:32 PM
We have progressive springs. That means that the spring rate is different at each end of the spring. Cutting them changes the overall performance of the spring and depending on how they are cut it can weaken the metal and cause them to fail. Not to mention that the stock struts cannot handle it and will blow.

Old muscle car guys could get away with it only because they didnt have progressive springs and the springs had the same spring rate through out the whole spring.



Re: improprtly lowered cars
Sunday, October 14, 2012 6:40 PM
Roofy wrote:



/thread .


I was wondering what happened to that tool's car.



I miss my Cavalier, even if it made 100 hp on a cold day and had more suspension then it deserved.
Re: improprtly lowered cars
Sunday, October 14, 2012 11:24 PM
i cut my springs still have the same factory ride ive had it like this for a while and my struts havent gone out on me it just depends who does ur work and how you use your car and it is still the same height all around
Re: improprtly lowered cars
Monday, October 15, 2012 12:08 AM
Kris Cirlos wrote:

i cut my springs still have the same factory ride ive had it like this for a while and my struts havent gone out on me it just depends who does ur work and how you use your car and it is still the same height all around


Idiot.

Tinkles(KGM) wrote:

We have progressive springs. That means that the spring rate is different at each end of the spring. Cutting them changes the overall performance of the spring and depending on how they are cut it can weaken the metal and cause them to fail. Not to mention that the stock struts cannot handle it and will blow.

Old muscle car guys could get away with it only because they didnt have progressive springs and the springs had the same spring rate through out the whole spring.





Re: improprtly lowered cars
Monday, October 15, 2012 5:33 AM
Kris Cirlos wrote:

i cut my springs still have the same factory ride ive had it like this for a while and my struts havent gone out on me it just depends who does ur work and how you use your car and it is still the same height all around


Let me get this straight, you cut your springs but the ride is the same and the ride height is the same!? What did you do give the end of the coil a circumcision?!


I vote idiot x2







Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, October 15, 2012 6:50 AM



Re: improprtly lowered cars
Monday, October 15, 2012 6:30 AM
I agree, why would you cheap out on the most critical part of all? Trusting your cars control on poorly done suspension is just stupid.

Think about it your suspension handles the entire weight of the car and every movement you tell it to do and your saying it's alright to just cut it. Suspension companies invest all that money into R&D for a reason it's because it's important.
Re: improprtly lowered cars
Monday, October 15, 2012 7:46 AM
Kris Cirlos wrote:

i cut my springs still have the same factory ride ive had it like this for a while and my struts havent gone out on me it just depends who does ur work and how you use your car and it is still the same height all around
I would believe you if you said you cut your rear springs, and if they weren't cut much, maybe just enough to level out with the front.

The biggest problem with our cars is not just the progressive rate, but the fact that the springs are tapered at the ends on the front. This means by cutting the coil, you will have a wider diameter portion of the spring sitting on the spring perch, which can, and very likely will, result in the spring slipping off the perch, and major loss of control.

Seriously, every person who comes on here and says "I cut the springs on my J-body and it's fine" need to quit modding cars right now. There are serious consequences for modding your suspension like this. Just because it can be done on one car doesn't mean it's OK.






Re: improprtly lowered cars
Monday, October 15, 2012 9:30 PM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:

Old muscle car guys could get away with it only because they didnt have progressive springs and the springs had the same spring rate through out the whole spring.


Linear rate
.




Re: improprtly lowered cars
Tuesday, October 16, 2012 11:23 AM
Lmao yea cutting and bending springs are a BIG no no. i swear every import i see in my town have done it. and every one of them lool like there suspension is shot to f***. they slow down to a stop from 25mph and it looks like they are off roading. all bouncy and sh!t. One kid tryied to defend it by saying the bounciness was cause it was wicked low, i told him " i've drove a car with the clearence of only 3 to 4 inches and it was stiff as hell, your just an idiot " =)



Straight lines are over-rated In My Opinion =]
Re: improprtly lowered cars
Tuesday, October 16, 2012 11:25 AM
look*



Straight lines are over-rated In My Opinion =]
Re: improprtly lowered cars
Monday, November 19, 2012 4:13 PM
Kris Cirlos wrote:

i cut my springs still have the same factory ride ive had it like this for a while and my struts havent gone out on me it just depends who does ur work and how you use your car and it is still the same height all around


I'm calling complete and utter bull@!#$ on this. I cut the springs in my 98 Z24 back in the day, and it was by far the worst thing I ever did to it. It was cool, as long as it was sitting in the driveway, not moving. But the moment I started driving it, it was nothing but a bouncy mess. Not to mention I had to clear six speedbumps on the way out of my apartment complex. My shocks were blown in less than a year.

And it doesn't matter "how" you do it, cutting your springs is cutting your springs; Nothing more, nothing less.




R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Re: improprtly lowered cars
Monday, November 19, 2012 4:19 PM
I replaced my springs with linear springs and then cut them.

Still.. don't do it.


- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Re: improprtly lowered cars
Monday, November 19, 2012 4:59 PM
If you spent the time to find linear springs that were the correct diameter, why not buy them the correct height? Im going to guess you didnt pay and attention to the spring rates either...


"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Re: improprtly lowered cars
Monday, November 19, 2012 7:37 PM
Kris Cirlos wrote:

i cut my springs still have the same factory ride ive had it like this for a while and my struts havent gone out on me it just depends who does ur work and how you use your car and it is still the same height all around


Yeah I call BS, because I have seen stock struts on stock springs that when pushed will blowout. Our stock struts suck!! no if ands or butts about it.



FU Tuning



Re: improprtly lowered cars
Friday, November 23, 2012 12:34 PM
the only reason anyone would do it is because they're cheap.
We all have budgets. But you can buy used lowering springs even that are 100% safe for under $200. Hell Sportlines NEW are that.
If you've already jacked up the car, removed the components to get to the spring, and cut it, you've actually ADDED the time it takes to do a lowering mod. Simply swapping springs is quicker than having to cut them.

I second the notion of cutting springs means getting away from modding cars period. The whole point in modding a car is for the love of working on cars..not to cheap out and look cool. its to appreciate the payoff to performance and styling once you've taken the time to do something right.


04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Re: improprtly lowered cars
Friday, November 23, 2012 7:48 PM
blu04DD wrote:

the only reason anyone would do it is because they're cheap.
We all have budgets. But you can buy used lowering springs even that are 100% safe for under $200. Hell Sportlines NEW are that.
If you've already jacked up the car, removed the components to get to the spring, and cut it, you've actually ADDED the time it takes to do a lowering mod. Simply swapping springs is quicker than having to cut them.

I second the notion of cutting springs means getting away from modding cars period. The whole point in modding a car is for the love of working on cars..not to cheap out and look cool. its to appreciate the payoff to performance and styling once you've taken the time to do something right.


Ya but struts are $500. If youre just throwing springs on stock struts youre still doing it wrong and shouldnt be talking @!#$.



Re: improprtly lowered cars
Friday, November 23, 2012 8:19 PM
DSMskyline wrote:

If you spent the time to find linear springs that were the correct diameter, why not buy them the correct height? Im going to guess you didnt pay and attention to the spring rates either...


They came out of a mazda b2200 with hydraulics. Springs weren't too stiff, keep in mind it had a 3100 in it.


- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Re: improprtly lowered cars
Friday, November 23, 2012 8:33 PM
Who needs springs? Bumpstops FTW.




________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.


Re: improprtly lowered cars
Friday, November 23, 2012 9:24 PM
JUCNBST wrote:

Kris Cirlos wrote:

i cut my springs still have the same factory ride ive had it like this for a while and my struts havent gone out on me it just depends who does ur work and how you use your car and it is still the same height all around


Let me get this straight, you cut your springs but the ride is the same and the ride height is the same!? What did you do give the end of the coil a circumcision?!


I vote idiot x2


LMFBAO!!!! sometimes this site is like reading youtube comments, but agreed in this case, if ur gonna do suspension, do it right the first time or end up like the picture at the top of the page, I never cut my springs before but to me thats like buying shytty cheap springs, I learned that lesson real quik after I bought Dropzone's and broke the left front, I bought Eibach Pro's this time around



Skr8 Goodz in tha hood
Re: improprtly lowered cars
Saturday, November 24, 2012 6:29 PM
Brian (TheSundownFire) wrote:

blu04DD wrote:

the only reason anyone would do it is because they're cheap.
We all have budgets. But you can buy used lowering springs even that are 100% safe for under $200. Hell Sportlines NEW are that.
If you've already jacked up the car, removed the components to get to the spring, and cut it, you've actually ADDED the time it takes to do a lowering mod. Simply swapping springs is quicker than having to cut them.

I second the notion of cutting springs means getting away from modding cars period. The whole point in modding a car is for the love of working on cars..not to cheap out and look cool. its to appreciate the payoff to performance and styling once you've taken the time to do something right.


Ya but struts are $500. If youre just throwing springs on stock struts youre still doing it wrong and shouldnt be talking @!#$.


Not true. You can still run stock struts on some lowering springs since they really dont lower much. But to the level of lowering most of us do (1.5-2" +) yes you need struts. Hopefully you're not assuming Im talking sh!t just because my car is lowered...since you dont know what my specs are unless youve asked me, which you didnt..Im pretty sure you didnt, since i dont remember it and i am certain i would have been there when you asked me...yeah...


04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Re: improprtly lowered cars
Saturday, November 24, 2012 8:02 PM
blu04DD wrote:

Brian (TheSundownFire) wrote:

blu04DD wrote:

the only reason anyone would do it is because they're cheap.
We all have budgets. But you can buy used lowering springs even that are 100% safe for under $200. Hell Sportlines NEW are that.
If you've already jacked up the car, removed the components to get to the spring, and cut it, you've actually ADDED the time it takes to do a lowering mod. Simply swapping springs is quicker than having to cut them.

I second the notion of cutting springs means getting away from modding cars period. The whole point in modding a car is for the love of working on cars..not to cheap out and look cool. its to appreciate the payoff to performance and styling once you've taken the time to do something right.


Ya but struts are $500. If youre just throwing springs on stock struts youre still doing it wrong and shouldnt be talking @!#$.


Not true. You can still run stock struts on some lowering springs since they really dont lower much. But to the level of lowering most of us do (1.5-2" +) yes you need struts. Hopefully you're not assuming Im talking sh!t just because my car is lowered...since you dont know what my specs are unless youve asked me, which you didnt..Im pretty sure you didnt, since i dont remember it and i am certain i would have been there when you asked me...yeah...


dont gotta ask you @!#$ all if your car has the mods on it that your registry states, im with everyone else due to personal experience and yes when you lower a car, buy the damn struts, you wouldnt do a lift kit on a vehicle without the proper shocks would you............ (yes i know theres retards in the world that would try to but do it right the first time and remember if your @!#$ falls apart and causes an accident due to "modifying" you can be held fully responsible with liabilities as it shouldnt have been on the road)




Re: improprtly lowered cars
Saturday, November 24, 2012 8:17 PM
^^^ truth ^^^






My car was made with wrenches, Not chopsticks.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

 

Start New Topic Advanced Search