Stiffer suspension while keeping stock height. - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Stiffer suspension while keeping stock height.
Sunday, January 13, 2013 6:28 PM
Is there a way of keeping stock height but putting in aftermarket suspension at all four corners. I park on a steep driveway so I need ground clearance. Click These would still keep stock height since the springs are not getting replaced right?

Re: Stiffer suspension while keeping stock height.
Monday, January 14, 2013 1:25 AM
Gr-2s are basically a stock replacement, and non adjustable, so you probably won't feel much difference between those and a new kem. If you want stiffer, you need a strut that offers adjustable dampening, such as Koni yellows or Tokico D-specs. Pairing them with stock springs will leave you with a stock ride height, since the spring determines the ride height. Personally i think it's overall going to feel a bit sloppy with stock springs.
You may want to consider an aftermarket spring that offers a more mild drop so that it all works well as a system. There are plenty of options that are subtle drops in height that will still leave you with plenty of clearance. Or if you are willing to open your wallet a bit, go for coilovers. That way you can choose the exact height you want, and still have ability to fully adjust the strut's dampening. Also leaves you the option of lowering in the future if you desire, using what is already there.

Monday, January 14, 2013 5:52 AM
Incidentally, there's a fantastic deal on Tein SS's in the classifieds right now. Some of the best coilovers around for our cars.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, January 14, 2013 11:30 AM
With coilovers you can simply raise the car up to stock height. And they have a lot more spring rate options than direct fit springs.

Monday, January 14, 2013 12:16 PM
i'm not sure the tein's will get you up to stock ride height though... the tein strut bodies are shortened compared to the stock struts. I've never cranked my tein's up to see where they will actually put the car.

as for handling, you'd be surprised what can be accomplished with just a stiffer strut and stock springs. most stock autox classes allow for aftermarket struts but make you retain stock springs. i might also recommend sway bars to help stiffen things up and chassis bracing (strut tower braces, etc) also go a long way to help things.

Monday, January 14, 2013 4:23 PM
Id recommend a Eibach sportline lowering spring and KYB AGX's for a cheaper and little drop that will still allow you to get into your driveway.
Monday, January 14, 2013 9:38 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm planning on getting a strut bar soon anyway so that will stiffen up the front a bit and get rid of some of the body roll. I'm not going for anything super expensive like the Yellow's, I've seen a lot of people having them and raving about how much better they are but I'm on a bit of a budget so the max I would probably spend is around $400-$500 on new suspension at all four corners.
Wednesday, January 16, 2013 12:31 PM
strat81 wrote:i'm not sure the tein's will get you up to stock ride height though... the tein strut bodies are shortened compared to the stock struts. I've never cranked my tein's up to see where they will actually put the car.

Run a longer spring?

Thursday, January 17, 2013 5:35 PM
James Cahill wrote:
strat81 wrote:i'm not sure the tein's will get you up to stock ride height though... the tein strut bodies are shortened compared to the stock struts. I've never cranked my tein's up to see where they will actually put the car.

Run a longer spring?

Im sure it can be done but the op appears to be on a somewhat tight budget

Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:45 PM
well i just purchased a set of tokico hp blues, and they are supposed to be 15% stiffer then stock (according to posts i have read on here) ran m $550 after shipping to atlantic canada. so those shocks and struts with stock springs and some beefed up sway bars and you'll be close to having your car just the way you want without breaking the bank

Thursday, January 17, 2013 9:08 PM
Let me know when you put them in as to how much better they feel than stock. Where did you get them from?

Saturday, January 19, 2013 7:54 PM
i wont be able to give you a compassion to stock, as my car is sitting on goldline lowering springs with kyb gr2 struts were a pretty much f'd, so anything is going to be better then what i have right now lol

also i have a set of tien s tech lowering springs going on these struts so again no compassion to stock.

Sunday, January 20, 2013 12:13 AM
Ah, oh well. I'm not that worried.
Monday, January 21, 2013 6:31 PM
Evan Duncan wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I'm planning on getting a strut bar soon anyway so that will stiffen up the front a bit and get rid of some of the body roll. I'm not going for anything super expensive like the Yellow's, I've seen a lot of people having them and raving about how much better they are but I'm on a bit of a budget so the max I would probably spend is around $400-$500 on new suspension at all four corners.

I'd just leave the car alone.
you're chasing your tail upgrading the corners but leaving the car at stock ride height.

your budget is also not realistic. you'd only be able to upgrade the springs only (not recommended) or the shocks only (also not recommended).

too much spring or too much shock is going to suck, that's why they need to be done together at the same time. $800 would be more realistic.

if you're concerned with body roll, upgrade the front sway bar ( ~$300 assuming you have a stock bar) and that's it.
strut bars, and all the other 'wonder' bars aren't gonna do squat for body roll.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:07 PM
I have two eco Js, one with stock everything + vert bar, the other stock springs, KYB AGXs on all fours, eibach F+R swaybars, un-modded n-body CA and hubs.

The vert bar only made a very noticeable improvement in handling especially at highway speeds. The other car handles very, very well. Keep in mind I also own a Solstice GXP, so I am not making anything up. I really enjoy driving the modded fire, it is very comfortable but still has excellent handling. The stock spring work very well, I was surprised just how smooth the ride is and how not mushy the car feels.

I would recommend KYB AGXs and a vert bar for a budget upgrade.

-I drive my car to work-
Friday, January 25, 2013 7:12 AM
D-Specs, stock springs, and sway bar upgrades. That's about the least expensive way to get what you're looking for.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search