1999 N body Aluminum knuckle swap question - Page 10 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 1999 N body steering knuckle question
Saturday, February 09, 2013 11:22 AM
Just throwing this out there but MK3 VW GTI rotors are 5x100 and 11" which is very close to the stock 10.94 rotors of a Grand Am and the same as Stock Grand Prix rotors. Might be another option to the Celica rotors.

Saturday, February 09, 2013 11:54 AM
orly

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.
Saturday, February 09, 2013 5:19 PM
Have you looked into how tall the rotor is when placed flat on the ground next to a grandam rotor?

Saturday, February 09, 2013 7:13 PM
Looks like it's too thin, stock GA is 26mm, celica is 25, 1993-1995 GTI is 22. Mk3 GTIS made after 1996 are 25mm thick but are 11.3 which might be too big.
Tuesday, February 12, 2013 9:07 AM
That's only 2mm on each side. I would be willing to bet that's within the tollerance of the factory specs. You would just have to replace them sooner.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 10:04 AM
forgive me for not reading or remembering (lol) but whats this about celica rotors?

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 3:06 PM
01celica has a 5x100 pattern and dam near identical dimensions to a gagt rotor.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:45 AM
so do theywork, then? has anybody actually successfully used them?

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:08 AM
I have not actually installed to verify first hand. This is based off my research I've done.

Sunday, March 03, 2013 6:42 PM
Any updates?
Saturday, May 11, 2013 8:30 PM
updates?

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:03 AM
Nothing yet, although I'm planning on picking up a Celica rotor soon and getting on the machining.
I think I'm going to try that setup first, since it's using all factory parts.
Also, I've now got a beater 01 Sedan that I'll be testing these on, and I'm hoping they fit under the steelies.

After that, I'll look at making the custom hat for the Wilwood rotor and F-body caliper.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:30 PM
Sweet Will you be able to use the f-body caliper with the Celica rotor?
Wednesday, May 15, 2013 7:47 AM
Spook 427 wrote:Sweet Will you be able to use the f-body caliper with the Celica rotor?
N-body caliper. The F-body caliper would sit too far out, as it's made for a 12" rotor. The N-body caliper is set up for the 11" rotor, which is very close to the same dimensions as the Celica rotor, however the Celica rotor is 5 x 100 instead of 5 x 115 (which the N-body is).

The setup I'm looking at doing with the F-body caliper is using a 12.19" Wilwood rotor and a custom hat. I will also look at the STi rotor for this, however that will defeat part of the purpose of this whole venture, which is major sprung weight reduction. The STi rotor, like the F-body rotor, is very heavy.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 7:59 AM
id like to see an n-body sized wilwood rotor with the j-body 5x100 wilwood center hat section.

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!
Wednesday, May 15, 2013 9:27 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:id like to see an n-body sized wilwood rotor with the j-body 5x100 wilwood center hat section.

Then stop sitting around and waiting for him to build it - buy the parts and try it yourself.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Wednesday, May 15, 2013 10:33 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:id like to see an n-body sized wilwood rotor with the j-body 5x100 wilwood center hat section.
So you want 11" brakes with what caliper? The N-body caliper, or a Wilwood caliper? Either can easily be done.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 11:11 AM
JUCNBST wrote:01celica has a 5x100 pattern and dam near identical dimensions to a gagt rotor.
FYI, the Celica rotor has one issue with it making it not a direct bolt-on: the hub bore is too small (55.1mm instead of 57.1mm)

This can easily be corrected, but it would have to be done with every set of rotors as they need to be replaced.

Also, Brad, in reference to the Wilwood rotor question, scratch being able to use it with the N-body caliper. They do not make a thick enough 11" rotor.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 12:19 PM
Opening up the bore on a rotor is a lot easier than re-drilling one by a country mile...

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Wednesday, May 15, 2013 7:21 PM
I understand the light weight, but if you use aluminum control arms and spindle. Then f-body calipers and sti or f-body rotors, wouldn't you basically be the same as stock?
Wednesday, May 15, 2013 9:00 PM
Mr. Quick wrote:As for the STi rotor, I don't have the dimensions handy, but I believe it's only slightly larger, so that's a potential combination that I will explore. Ultimately, though, the Wilwood rotor will be far better because it will be a big weight savings over the STi rotor or F-body rotor.

fwiw, i guarantee there is an aftermarket 2 pc rotor for the sti which would mean no need for the custom top hat. it's more a matter of will it work in conjuction with the rest of the parts that would be the issue

DBA for instance makes their 5000 series club spec 2 pc rotors for the 04 sti. (granted they are designed more for racing applications...)

Thursday, May 16, 2013 5:50 AM
strat81 wrote:
Mr. Quick wrote:As for the STi rotor, I don't have the dimensions handy, but I believe it's only slightly larger, so that's a potential combination that I will explore. Ultimately, though, the Wilwood rotor will be far better because it will be a big weight savings over the STi rotor or F-body rotor.

fwiw, i guarantee there is an aftermarket 2 pc rotor for the sti which would mean no need for the custom top hat. it's more a matter of will it work in conjuction with the rest of the parts that would be the issue

DBA for instance makes their 5000 series club spec 2 pc rotors for the 04 sti. (granted they are designed more for racing applications...)
Well the setup can be designed for the STi rotor, and I could make hats for use with the Wilwood 12" rotor, so that would give more options.

Spook 427 wrote:I understand the light weight, but if you use aluminum control arms and spindle. Then f-body calipers and sti or f-body rotors, wouldn't you basically be the same as stock?
Perhaps, but the point of this (aside from making a more bolt-on setup with more options) is to make a big brake kit that is light weight, not to arrive back at stock weight.

You guys are making me want to get on this now. Let me see what I can do about making it happen. Life is just terribly busy right now, and I've got group buys going on two platforms currently, so I've been putting my R&D to the side.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, May 16, 2013 5:52 AM

Sunday, May 19, 2013 5:09 PM
even if you arrive back at stock weight, you still got larger brakes out of the deal. think about adding the larger brakes WITHOUT the light weight mods, you'd be ADDING weight.. which aint no good.

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!
Sunday, May 19, 2013 8:05 PM
Wow this kind of got back on the top. Looking forward to posted progress. I didn't know about the slightly smaller hub size on the celica rotors but good to know.

Monday, May 20, 2013 6:38 AM
JUCNBST wrote:Wow this kind of got back on the top. Looking forward to posted progress. I didn't know about the slightly smaller hub size on the celica rotors but good to know.
Yeah, I've had a lot going on, and this just got put to the back burner. This popping back up, along with having an 01 Cav as a DD, has brought it back up front.

The bore isn't much smaller, but enough. Easy to machine it out, but if people are looking for bolt-on with no modification, this will be one (albeit minor) modification that will need to happen.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search