Idea for a big brake kit that doesn't cost $1000 - Page 2 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Idea for a big brake kit that doesn't cost $1000
Wednesday, February 13, 2013 4:37 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:
Mr. Quick wrote:
Cavalier Thompson wrote:didn't someone on here do 04 sti rotors up front with f-body calipers?
Yes. I can't remember off the top of my head who it was, though.

It was Cory

It looks like the reason why the sti rotors worked for the j-body is the same reason why the TT rotors are just a little bigger. I would rather add a bracket and not cut anything already existing. The sti rotors fill the space out well though.

2004 Cavalier Sedan

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 4:59 PM
i did the STI set up and it cost my only 500$ CANADIAN with all the shipping. and it brake HARD, still waithing For a ( REAR ) BIG BRAKE KIT like 04 rear STI rotor and MUSTANG GT Caliper or some
Wednesday, February 13, 2013 6:31 PM
Well, if anything this post can show that in real life the the TT rotors just don't match up. I think I'm gonna see what I can do with the STI set up. They're even bigger anyway lol. Thanks guys, I appreciate all the input.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Wednesday, February 13, 2013 6:40 PM
Let us know how it turns out. And of course, take pictures! What's your plan on the adapter brackets? Having your machine shop work it out?

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:05 PM
The machine shop is the least of my worries for figuring something out. I have an "in" with the boss at Straightline Automotive, I call him Dad lol. Looking at the STI build done before...

Is the circled part in the pic the modified bracket?

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:12 PM
It's a drilled and tapped bracket and an adapter added if I read correctly.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:24 PM
Right, so you drill and tap the F-body bracket, and then bolt on that new adapter???

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:40 PM
From what I understand, yes. I have no idea where to get one of those adapters though, or what its even called or originally for.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:22 PM
Just throwing this out there-

Use a complete setup from an H body (Bonneville, STS, etc). Spindle, bearing, rotor and caliper. It all bolts right on, the only difference is the 5x114.3 bolt pattern and outer CV. Or you can have a simple adapter machined to use the J body bearing on the H body spindle. If you keep the 5x114.3, the outer CV is swappable as long as you're using all factory parts (H body CV on J body axle) since some of the aftermarket axles are different diameters. You can use Hawk pads with it. Total cost could probably be kept under $300 for everything. IIRC, mine was $350 with the machine work for the adapter. The H body spindle has a steering arm on it, I lopped it off since 2nd gens have it on the strut.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:25 PM
Definitely need to keep the jbody bolt pattern. I'll look into this a little more, too.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Thursday, February 14, 2013 12:38 AM
Do what James said but go with 2000+ bonneville parts they a .5 inches bigger aluminum knuckles, ballpoints, and calipers. Then in the future you can bolt on Camaro as/ z06/ or ctsv 4 piston calipers and mustang 15in rotors. Big big brake upgrade lol

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 8:43 AM
One crazy thing is that when I was checking out the TT rotors on JC Whitney there was a review that said something like, "good product at a great price works great for my 2005 Sunfire." What the crap?! I'm gonna hit up O Rielys today and compare a jbody, sti and TT rotor. The thing with the TT rotor is that if the bolt pattern and center bore can line up then I shouldn't have to shave the caliper bracket down like the STI set up. If I do go STI then I'm gonna use a GTI 3mm spacer instead of washers.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Thursday, February 14, 2013 8:51 AM
http://www.jcwhitney.com/pronto-oe-comparable-rotors/p3039662.jcwx?filterid=d89y2004g2j1

This is the review for some 2004 TT rotors...for a 2005 Sunfire.....

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Friday, February 15, 2013 9:28 AM
OK, I went around to parts stores again today. The TT rotors just don't line up right. The 2004 STI and WRX rotors do though. That is as far as bolt pattern and center bore. I purchased both (WRX and STI) rotors today.

Here's the circumstances for the STI set up:
1. It's bigger at 12.84'' (bigger than Wilwood)
2. It's been done on a J-body before, so we know it can work
3. It's really heavy!
4. It will not allow stock 16" wheels
5. You have to grind down the stock caliper bracket

And the circumstances for the WRX set up:
1. It's bigger at 11.56'' compared to the J-body at 10..20"
2. It can possibly use the stock J-body caliper/pads
3. It's bigger but much lighter than the STI set up
4. It's very possible that it will allow stock 16'' wheels
5. The cost is cheaper than the STI set up as well (I picked up my mock rotor for $35)

As you'll see in the pics the hat height for the WRX is still higher than the J-body rotor (about 7mm taller). I probably won't have a chance to put thing up to my car physically until tomorrow.

Size of J-body vs. WRX

This is showing the center bore and bolt pattern match of the J-body and WRX rotors.

WRX compare to the STI rotor.

WRX (left) and STI (right).

I'll let ya know how the mock up on the car goes once I can get a little more time.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Friday, February 15, 2013 9:32 AM
If it lines up well enough, I think the WRX might be a great compromise as far as weight, performance, cost and looks are concerned for those of us that are running 16-17 inch wheels.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Friday, February 15, 2013 9:43 AM
The STI setup could definitely accept 16 in wheels, caliper choice is everything. There have been 13in brakes with stock16s done before without the use of spacers.

Friday, February 15, 2013 10:03 AM
Looks interesting. My first thought was that you're going to have to space the rotor out a lot with the taller hat, but on second look, I see that the overall height of the rotor is the same. You're still going to have to space it a little bit (look at the STi/F-body setup, and you'll see he used washers to space it properly), but no more than the STi.

The stock J-body caliper will probably not work. Those rotors are still considerably thicker than the J-body rotor. I'd try a C4 caliper. I have one I can check the clearance on at the house.

Friday, February 15, 2013 11:16 AM
.......... Does anyone have questions about the STI brake swap?
I see a bunch of people chiming in, but im pretty sure, only three people on here have done it.
Me, the originator of the STI / Wilwood, and two others running the STI / Camaro swap, which I designed as well.

So ..... any questions about the setup?
Friday, February 15, 2013 11:29 AM
Bobby Higgins wrote:.......... Does anyone have questions about the STI brake swap?
I see a bunch of people chiming in, but im pretty sure, only three people on here have done it.
Me, the originator of the STI / Wilwood, and two others running the STI / Camaro swap, which I designed as well.

Did you not use the F-body calipers? Did you try the WRX rotors at all?

I'm kind of leaning towards the WRX rotor because it will be much lighter (and maybe a little cheaper), but still an upgrade and will also fill out the space behind my 17s. If I end up using spacers, then I'd probably pick up some VW GTI spacers instead of washers. I'm currently using a set for my rear wheels. They're also the same center bore and bolt pattern and are inexpensive.

Also, the WRX rotor is only about 1/8" thicker than the J-body, so that's why I wonder if there's a chance my Cav caliper would work. Of course, I'd have to fab up some kind of bracket to extend the caliper to compensate for the bigger rotor.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Friday, February 15, 2013 3:28 PM
I had a second to weight the WRX and STI rotors.

WRX= approx 13lbs
STI= approx 23lbs

10 lbs difference, then with two...that's 20lbs difference! I'm kind of leaning more toward working the WRX set up.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Saturday, February 16, 2013 6:56 AM
turboZ24cavi wrote:Also, the WRX rotor is only about 1/8" thicker than the J-body, so that's why I wonder if there's a chance my Cav caliper would work. Of course, I'd have to fab up some kind of bracket to extend the caliper to compensate for the bigger rotor.
You can't do a simple bracket for the J-body calipers. Remember, the guides are built into the knuckles. The only way would be to cut off the entire caliper bracket and extend it. IMO, it's not worth it. You're still left with the heavy calipers. Look at the N-body caliper if you want something cheaper than the F-body one. Mounts the same, but it's smaller, single piston, and aluminum.

Saturday, February 16, 2013 7:07 AM
turboZ24cavi wrote:
Bobby Higgins wrote:.......... Does anyone have questions about the STI brake swap?

Did you not use the F-body calipers? Did you try the WRX rotors at all?

I'm kind of leaning towards the WRX rotor because it will be much lighter (and maybe a little cheaper), but still an upgrade and will also fill out the space behind my 17s. If I end up using spacers, then I'd probably pick up some VW GTI spacers instead of washers. I'm currently using a set for my rear wheels. They're also the same center bore and bolt pattern and are inexpensive.

Also, the WRX rotor is only about 1/8" thicker than the J-body, so that's why I wonder if there's a chance my Cav caliper would work. Of course, I'd have to fab up some kind of bracket to extend the caliper to compensate for the bigger rotor.

I designed both kits, the STI Wilwood, and the STI Camaro. I make the brackets for both.
As stated above, you cant make a simple bracket for the J-Body caliper, you need to utilize a fixed caliper, which means there are pistons on both sides that move, the caliper itself is stationary.
I didnt look into the WRX, I wanted something custom, and big.
Im the only one currently running the STI Wilwood combo, and Ive had it for about 2 years.
I think there are 2-3 people running the STI Camaro setup I designed, they all have good things to say about it also!
Saturday, February 16, 2013 7:36 AM
I see whats going on here.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search