Idea for a big brake kit that doesn't cost $1000 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Idea for a big brake kit that doesn't cost $1000
Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:41 PM
I couldn't find anything on the forum about this so I figured I'd ask. A 2003-2007 Audi TT brake rotor is the same bolt pattern (5x100) and hub bore (57.1) as 82-05 cavs. The diameter of the Audi rotor is 312 mm or 12.28". The Wilwood rotor is 12.19". I'm thinking I'd have to make a bracket to extend the caliper, but I have access to a lathe, cutting tools, etc. As far as the caliper, I'm thinking I essentially splice a TT caliper into the cav brake line and ditch the cav calipers. A quick eBay seach came up with used TT calipers going for $50-$60 each, new TT rotors for anywhere from $40 to $200 each (I'd be looking at getting $60 Wagners), new Hawk HPS pads for $84 and then the cost of the brackets and all the little crap that goes along with custom building/fabing. So, I'm thinking I can get a 12" brake set up for somewhere between $350 and $400. More than half the cost of a Wilwood kit. Of course, the performance of Wilwood will not be matched, but it would still be an upgrade and fill out the back space behind my 17" wheels. At this point I have no idea what clearances of rotor and knuckle, wheel, etc would be. So, am I crazy? Has it already been done or tried? What am I forgetting/leaving out?

2004 Cavalier Sedan

Re: Idea for a big brake kit that doesn't cost $1000
Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:04 PM
Ive never heard of using a TT rotor but it'd be sweet if its doable! Look at the hat height and stuff like that for the TT rotor. compared to the J rotor. If its a lot taller youre going to run into issues with hitting the knuckle. Mounting a caliper isnt a hug deal usually its just a matter of having someone mill you a bracket to hold everything together. As far as lines check the thread dimensions for the J caliper and TT caliper. If theyre not the same you can always adapt ot try another caliper that uses a similar thickness of rotor.

I use the Advance Auto Parts website. They usually have pretty reliable dimensions for reference.

Thats kinda the process I went through when I had Shawn (Mr. Quick) cut me the brackets for the Neon/Saturn rear disk swap. He may be willing to help you design and cut them for some cost. But hes a cool dude to work with.

Happy hunting!

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:12 PM
Well Im bored and you peaked my interest.

TT:

Bolt Hole And Circle Diameter: 9-100
Finish: Ra 2.0 Brake Surf, Ra 3.2-6.3 Other Mach Surf
Height: 34.3 mm
Material: MAT R-3000
Outside Diameter: 311.8 mm
Rust Resistant Coating: Yes
Slotted: No
Solid Or Vented Rotor: Vented
Thickness : 24.9 mm

J:

Bolt Circle Diameter: 100 mm
Finish: Plain (uncoated)
Height: 48 mm
Material: SAE J431 G3000
Outside Diameter: 259 mm
Rust Resistant Coating: Yes
Slotted: No
Solid Or Vented Rotor: Vented
Thickness: 20.35 mm

The TT rotor is shorter which should move you away from the knuckle.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:41 PM
Dang, you beat me to it. I was about to post the info myself lol. It moves it away from the knuckle, but that would bring the caliper closer to the wheel. Maybe it's time for some real life mock ups/fitmeants. Hmmmm....

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:00 PM
F-Bodys use a rotor that is 2mm thinner than the TT. Depending on the amount of travel you have in the piston. You may be able to use those with the TT rotors. The fittings are the same as with a J IIRC.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:21 PM
What years of the f-body?

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:52 PM
Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:54 PM
turboZ24cavi wrote:What years of the f-body?

98-02 is what I usually work with. Dual pot aluminum calipers.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 8:26 PM
Brian (TheSundownFire) wrote:
turboZ24cavi wrote:What years of the f-body?

98-02 is what I usually work with. Dual pot aluminum calipers.

On advance's site it shows the f body rotors are much THICKER than the audi's though. Although the rear rotors are only about 1mm thicker.

I'm making plans to do a test fit this weekend.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Tuesday, February 12, 2013 8:31 PM
Good thing you can read. Because apparently I cant haha. Best of luck. Let us know how it goes. Even though I dont have my car anymore I like to see the platform get some more love!

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 9:18 PM
Could also look up my post about 15in rotors. Do a search for 2010 Camaro ss zo6 ctsv brakes.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 9:55 PM
Rob Dotterer wrote:Could also look up my post about 15in rotors. Do a search for 2010 Camaro ss zo6 ctsv brakes.

That's fancy. I'm going more for clean look on a budget.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Tuesday, February 12, 2013 11:00 PM
It's the same price as most of the other swaps and you can buy the calipers pre painted saying Chevrolet brembo. Doesn't get buch cleaner then that.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Wednesday, February 13, 2013 12:13 AM
What you did is definitely clean. I didn't mean to sound like its not. I'm looking to keep it clean along with only spending a few hundred dollars as opposed to $1000 plus. I'm mainly basing that off of the comparison to the wilwood kit. If it comes down to only needing the caliper brackets my dad and I can design something and make a few sets for other people to use, too.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:27 AM
Interesting for sure.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:36 AM
Definitely sounds like a decent idea, although I don't know how the Audi calipers mount. I'm sure a bracket could be made, though.

I've looked into the Audi TT rotors for the rear, and I actually have one. Something to watch out for is the hub face is smaller on the Audi than the J, and on the rears, the rotor hat will not clear the hub face. I hadn't looked at the fronts at all, but it's something to watch out for.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:44 AM
Mr. Quick wrote:Definitely sounds like a decent idea, although I don't know how the Audi calipers mount. I'm sure a bracket could be made, though.

I've looked into the Audi TT rotors for the rear, and I actually have one. Something to watch out for is the hub face is smaller on the Audi than the J, and on the rears, the rotor hat will not clear the hub face. I hadn't looked at the fronts at all, but it's something to watch out for.

I'll find out this weekend lol. That sucks about the rears. I had wondered about that, too.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:51 AM
I like to see where this goes. 15" rotors are too big for me

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:58 AM
Just got off a 24 hour shift at work. Stopped by Advance close to the house, but they didn't have the TT rotor. Found a store that has a cavalier and TT rotor to physically compare. Gonna head that way after some breakfast.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:00 AM
Sub'ed

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:54 AM
Not too happy after my second trip to Advance. I ended up asking for two different sets of Audi rotors to double check the hat height, bolt pattern and center bore in real life. Diameter looks awesome, bolt pattern lines up, hat height is shorter but that will give room for the Audi caliper...but the dang center bores didn't line up. The TT's center bore was slightly bigger than the Cavalier's rotor they let me compare it to. Came back home and double checked the numbers again...and they should be the same.

Definitely bigger!

You know what they say, bigger is better.

The TT is a little bigger inside.

Fairly simple caliper.

[/IMG]

I didn't buy a TT rotor, but now I kind of wish I did just to physically put it on the car and see just how it fit. Maybe the "cavalier" caliper they game me was wrong or something. I have been up for about 32 hours straight now. Maybe I'm going crazy and need sleep. Next time I'm going to size up a 2004 Subaru STI rotor as well. The STI center bore is supposed to be just smaller than the J-body, so maybe it's right on somehow. Comments, questions, suggestions still welcome.

2004 Cavalier Sedan

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:11 AM
Those might be the wrong calipers. I think I'm going to try a different parts store...

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:13 AM
didn't someone on here do 04 sti rotors up front with f-body calipers?

Skr8 Goodz in tha hood
Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:22 AM
Cavalier Thompson wrote:didn't someone on here do 04 sti rotors up front with f-body calipers?
Yes. I can't remember off the top of my head who it was, though.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:30 AM
Mr. Quick wrote:
Cavalier Thompson wrote:didn't someone on here do 04 sti rotors up front with f-body calipers?
Yes. I can't remember off the top of my head who it was, though.

It was Cory

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search