Gravana Coilover Installation Instructions - Page 2 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Gravana Coilover Installation Instructions
Tuesday, March 05, 2013 9:08 PM
Oh, I meant 7/8ths. My bad lol.

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 12:15 AM
I feel like an idiot now lol.

Good news: I was trying to turn the nut that is welded onto the lower mount - I didn't realize it was welded because New York corrodes everything. An 18mm socket onto the bolt made for swift removal. Got the rear left in.

Bad news: Superman tried to be a mechanic on my car. Went to remove the rear right wheel, excited to be almost done and ready for an alignment tomorrow (after I set the ride height and spring preload). Grabbed my handy ratchet, 3/4" socket, put it on the first lug and cranked - the wheel rotates. So I rip the e-brake ALL the way up and try again. Using as much force as I could I try to loosen it and the wheel turns again. I can rip the e-brake up on dry pavement and lock the tires and get it sideways and blah blah easily. I couldn't believe the nut was so tight I could still turn the wheel before it broke loose.

Got the other four off and went at it with the impact wrench, ended up stripping the nut. Right now I'm too agitated and tired to go digging for my easy-outs. So tomorrow morning, easy out and the blowtorch.

And then I'm gonna buy some lugs. Good ones.

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 12:38 AM
Kody LaGreca wrote:I feel like an idiot now lol.

Good news: I was trying to turn the nut that is welded onto the lower mount - I didn't realize it was welded because New York corrodes everything. An 18mm socket onto the bolt made for swift removal. Got the rear left in.

Bad news: Superman tried to be a mechanic on my car. Went to remove the rear right wheel, excited to be almost done and ready for an alignment tomorrow (after I set the ride height and spring preload). Grabbed my handy ratchet, 3/4" socket, put it on the first lug and cranked - the wheel rotates. So I rip the e-brake ALL the way up and try again. Using as much force as I could I try to loosen it and the wheel turns again. I can rip the e-brake up on dry pavement and lock the tires and get it sideways and blah blah easily. I couldn't believe the nut was so tight I could still turn the wheel before it broke loose.

Got the other four off and went at it with the impact wrench, ended up stripping the nut. Right now I'm too agitated and tired to go digging for my easy-outs. So tomorrow morning, easy out and the blowtorch.

And then I'm gonna buy some lugs. Good ones.

this explains why we weren't making sense to eachother. glad you made some progress.

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 7:55 PM
Got them all in, gotta tweak the ride height, back is a little low. I'm also getting a clunk from the rear right. Everything is fastened, but even preloaded the coil moves a little on the perch. Anyone know how I can fix this? I might have a spacer made to fit around the inside of the coil if that's my only option to stop it from moving.

Otherwise, car feels great with these. Very happy with my purchase.

Thursday, March 07, 2013 3:16 AM
do you have plastic isolators that are on the bottom of the spring? that may be why it's shifting around on you if they aren't there..

it's been a while, I can't remember what if anything gravana had under the spring

Thursday, March 07, 2013 6:48 AM
There isn't any on that one. I'll check the rear left, but I don't think so. The kit I bought had bags around the strut assembly so I don't think anything is missing.

Friday, March 08, 2013 6:01 PM
The rear springs just sit on the perch, and there is a rubber isolator on the top, but nothing for the bottom. It's just weird how the right one moves around and the other doesn't. Going in for my alignment tomorrow now that I got my ride height and everything set on it. May still need to raise the back a hair but it's looking better and all the measurements are exact from left to right. I'll figure something out for that spring. It's just annoying because Cav's have enough squeaks lol. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search