prothane lower control bushings, old control arms or new? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
prothane lower control bushings, old control arms or new?
Sunday, February 17, 2013 9:04 AM
Just picked up my 2002 ls sport sedan and am starting my upgrades, looking into the prothane lower control arm bushings. Was thinking about buying a new replacement set of control arms to install them into, rather than installing them into my existing rusted set, plus I would then have the new ball joint as well. Guess I'm a little worried about the quality of the aftermarket stock replacements.

2002 cavalier LS Sport Sedan

Re: prothane lower control bushings, old control arms or new?
Sunday, February 17, 2013 10:00 AM
I just used my old ones and shot them with some black paint. Took the opportunity to replace the ball joints while the CAs were out. Made the job a lot easier since you have to grind the heads off of the rivets. Unless someones done your ball joints before. Last time I priced full control arms out for a J you could get Moog ball joints for the price of full control arms with no name ball joints. Just kinda depends what your skill set is.

Sunday, February 17, 2013 1:01 PM
There was a group buy a few years ago by TInkles on using the grand prix aluminum control arms with prothane parts seemed like everyone liked them. I still have mine "new" in the box. I would sell them to you but they are in a different state right now. There is a write up and if you are really thinking about doing the work of replacing you might as well think about cutting an inch of aluminum and drilling three holes to get lighter arms.

I accidentally the SHIFT LIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

The proper way of using the word seen. It is not I seen it that would be I saw it. He has seen the car is the right way to use the word. English class is Cool. By the way thats my sig
Sunday, February 17, 2013 1:36 PM
Just go grab a used set from the junkyard. That is what i did except that i used a set of aluminum arms from a 1999 Grand Am/Alero.

Sunday, February 17, 2013 2:30 PM
M-1 Erma Jean wrote:There was a group buy a few years ago by TInkles on using the grand prix aluminum control arms with prothane parts seemed like everyone liked them. I still have mine "new" in the box. I would sell them to you but they are in a different state right now. There is a write up and if you are really thinking about doing the work of replacing you might as well think about cutting an inch of aluminum and drilling three holes to get lighter arms.

Thanks, I'll look for the write up and see whats involved, I'm in no hurry so If I decide to go this route I'll hit ya up and see if you still want to sell.

Sunday, February 17, 2013 2:33 PM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:Just go grab a used set from the junkyard. That is what i did except that i used a set of aluminum arms from a 1999 Grand Am/Alero.

Thanks for the suggestion, like I said pretty new to the small car scene., used to build and race offroad vehicles before the kids got older. Thought this car would be a fun project with my 15 year old. Just like anything new, guess I better start hitting the search button.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 5:04 PM
The 1999 GA arms have been written about ad-nauseum. It is so much simpler than it initially seems.

All you need is:
New ball joints.
Prothane bushings
1999 GA controls arms

Grind off the old ball joints, if you can replace the CAs then replacing ball joints should be cake. Install new CAs, get an alignment, and BAM your done. You might need to slot the upper strut mount for the alignment or use camber bolts. I have camber bolts and they work fine. I would also recommend 1/2" spacers on the rear to keep the track the same.

-I drive my car to work-
Wednesday, February 20, 2013 4:34 AM
Yep, definitely going the GA arm route, just order my bushings about to order the ball joints and if its nice enough this weekend will be going junkyard hunting. But I think I'm going to mod mine so I don't have to worry about the 1/2 " difference.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:39 AM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:Just go grab a used set from the junkyard. That is what i did except that i used a set of aluminum arms from a 1999 Grand Am/Alero.

thats what Ive got (yet to be installed).
99 Grand AM GT aluminum CA's
new poly bushings
new ball joints

havent tackled the CA install/removal yet on these cars...figure it cant be too bad..

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Thursday, February 21, 2013 9:38 PM
Having a long ratchet or cheater bar and a 3' breaker bar will save you much time and headache. Use the breaker bar to pry the knuckle off the ball joint before you loosen the strut mount bolts.

-I drive my car to work-
Sunday, March 03, 2013 5:18 PM
Ok, thanks to the suggestions here I'm going the grand am alum control arm route, just picked up a set at the local yard for 40.00 for the set, and got a pretty good deal on the prothane bushings, 35.00 delivered. Now the question to modify them and cut them down the 1/2 inch or leave them? Whats the pro's and con's? I now why everyone has been modifying them, I guess my question is why are people running them unmodded? and whats the benefit?

Sunday, March 03, 2013 5:54 PM
I just installed my 99 grand am aluminum ca with prothane bushings and if I did it again I wouldnt modify them, people that welded my old holes shut did @!#$ job and had to redo one couple times bc could see threw the welds after cutting them shorter, if you modify them make sure person knows what there doing when comes to tig welding aluminum, I actually think my drivers side ball joint is gonna break off over time

FuzzMASTA9
Monday, March 04, 2013 5:56 AM
Pete P wrote:I just installed my 99 grand am aluminum ca with prothane bushings and if I did it again I wouldnt modify them, people that welded my old holes shut did @!#$ job and had to redo one couple times bc could see threw the welds after cutting them shorter, if you modify them make sure person knows what there doing when comes to tig welding aluminum, I actually think my drivers side ball joint is gonna break off over time

That's one of the scariest things I've ever heard...

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Monday, March 04, 2013 8:08 AM
Yea I just threw them on other day just to test it out and see if I like the feel of them but found out my buddy that tig welds together semi fuel trailers invested in his own personal tig welder so gonna go back to junkyard I got my control arms from and try to find another one than actually cut and drill the new holes than have him weld shut the originals bc I know he will take his time and said will do it for free for me versus the sh*t job I paid $100 for on the set I am running now.

FuzzMASTA9
Monday, March 04, 2013 4:20 PM
I have a set but nervous about the welding aspect of the whole procedure. Dunno if I have the room to run them stock length.

If that part fails there may be no coming back from it.
Monday, March 04, 2013 7:23 PM
Yea never is fun when stuff like that breaks, had a 96 eclipse back in the day and ball joints popped out of the sockets constantly, even brand new ones, had it 2 days when first one popped out at sixty and was one hell of a ride

FuzzMASTA9
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search